PDA

View Full Version : Locking levers

pommyphil
19th June 2009, 04:21 PM
Hi I got a MC1100 secondhand and the crappy diecast springloaded handles on the toolrest shaft and tailstock spindle locks are almost stripped on the hex.

Can I buy new levers (not diecast) ? or should I weld an extention on with a tommybar through it? It must be a common problem, is there a common fix ?

Thanks. Phil.

Tiger
19th June 2009, 04:56 PM
These levers are a common problem but I'd like to know what the fix is too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th June 2009, 05:00 PM
All the levers I've seen are either die-cast... or plastic. Trust me, if you think the die-cast ones are crappy, you don't wanna go anywhere near the plastic ones.

If you should find a source of good quality replacements, please don't be backwards about coming forwards and letting the rest of us know too, eh? :wink:

Woodwould
19th June 2009, 05:32 PM
I've bought some from here (https://www.bolt.com.au/index.php?cPath=2285_2295).

rsser
19th June 2009, 06:37 PM
Good source Woodwould, thanks.

pommyphil
19th June 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Woodwould :2tsup:

They look ideal, hopefully they'll be better than the originals.

dai sensei
19th June 2009, 07:50 PM
Good source Woodwould, thanks.

:whs:

Love they way the photos come up on the main index to give an indication of what is there :2tsup:

nalmo
19th June 2009, 09:20 PM
I think Carbatec carries spares also. I picked some up for a friend a while back, but they were being replaced under warranty (now where did I put that receipt for the lathe??????)

thefixer
19th June 2009, 09:34 PM
You know those older style office chairs that had the height adjustable backrest? By sheer coincidence they just happen to have the same thread as the MC1100 banjo and tailstock. I've got several of them that I salvaged over time.

Cheers
Shorty

jchappo
20th June 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Woodwould ... the last time I bought some was through Blackwoods at $31 each.

Bolts & Industrial don't specify what the handle is made of, can you enlighten us?

Woodwould
20th June 2009, 11:50 PM
The Bolts & Industrial adjustable hand levers are of a very high quality. The handles are glass fibre reinforced polyamide. I've used them on several machines and jigs in the past. From memory they're made by Elesa which is a respected German company (I know I've got some Elesa levers here - some are polyamide and some are plastic-coated die cast metal). You won't be disappointed with them.

issatree
22nd June 2009, 11:24 PM
Hi All,
I have a different solution. Find a 5in. - 125mm. bolt with a thread that fits, cut the head off, put that end in the vice. Now with a piece of pipe, use that to bend the bolt to the angle you prefer. there is a bit of trial & error now, as you screw the "handle" in. Hopefully it will stop in the right place for your liking.
If not, grind the threaded end back, keep doing this until you like the spot it stops, then all you do is clean up the ends, maybe a piece of heat shrink on the hand end.
Regards,
issatree.

Rattrap
23rd June 2009, 09:50 AM
Issatree do you have a picture of this clamp setup you are talking about, i can't picture it.

issatree
23rd June 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Rattrap,
I'm sorry, but what clamp do you mean. What I was referring to was another solution to that spring loaded clamp that apparently broke, which was just a bent bolt.
If you know of either the older type Woodfast, Hyco, Tough Lathes, they have these bent & turned "bolts". My Tough Lathe has 1 of them, & my Little Leda has the spring type.
I'm not sure if this answers your question or not.
Regards,
issatree.

pommyphil
23rd June 2009, 06:34 PM
Just an outcome from this. On Sunday I ordered the Lever, (10mmX25mm )from bolt.com.au The item arrived 4.30pm today ! Perfect, looks like the original which weighed 50gm ,but weighs 140gm ! screwed straight into the banjo like it should always have been there. Way beyond my expectations, which were high given $20+GST+freight, but money well spent.
I don't know how many times a day I use the toolrest lock, it used to be a frustration but no more.
Thanks again Woodwould for the link. cheers.:2tsup:

Woodwould
23rd June 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm happy you're happy Phil. :U

rsser
23rd June 2009, 06:43 PM
btw, does anyone know a source of thumbscrews?

AlexS
23rd June 2009, 06:47 PM
You should be on commission Wouldwood, I reckon there will be a lot of us buying from them. Thanks for the lead.

pommyphil
23rd June 2009, 06:48 PM
a hard way to get information, but then the Inquisition didn't have Google:D

Woodwould
23rd June 2009, 06:54 PM

What size/type are you after. Are any of these any good to you:
Thumb screws 1 (https://www.bolt.com.au/index.php?cPath=1010_1588_1788)
Small knobs (https://www.bolt.com.au/index.php?cPath=2285_2307)
Thumb screws 2 (http://www.starstuff.com.au/screws.html)

rsser
23rd June 2009, 06:59 PM
Brilliant, thanks.

artme
23rd June 2009, 07:15 PM

Who ya gunna Torture!!:D:D:D

RETIRED
23rd June 2009, 07:28 PM
Who ya gunna Torture!!:D:D:DMy thoughts exactly.:wink:

rsser
23rd June 2009, 10:55 PM
Small cutters in plakky blocks.

Apparently if you get close enough you can hear them scream.