PDA

View Full Version : BonhamScroll Chucks

MJ
21st May 2000, 09:09 PM
I recently bought a Bonham scroll chuck, and I am wondering if any one else has had the same problems I've had.

Apart from the standard expanding/contracting dovetail jaws the chuck comes with a set of vesatile jaw plates which can be interchanged with the docetail jaws. Both sets of jaws are held to the jaw slides by two countersunk hex hed screws.

I have now tried to change the jaws twice, and on both occasions I have found that at least some of the screws have become so tight they are impossible to remove with the allen key supplied. On both occasions I stripped one of the screws, necessitating drillig out and replacing.

I'm wondering whether the design of the chuck is such that the use of it causes the screws to tighten. Has anyone else had the same problem. It also seems to me that stainless or HSS screws would be a far better fitting, and far less likely to strip than the mild steel ones supplied. Given the price of the chuck I'm inclined to think that this is a penny pinching measure by Bonham.

Anyone else with a similar experience with the Bonham, or is it just me?

Regards

Mark Jackson
Brisbane

RETIRED
23rd May 2000, 06:54 PM
Gooday.

Mark, I have not had that happen on the Nova (which the Bonham is a copy of) but a little trick may be to give the screw a light tap with a punch and hammer to loosen it in the thread. Quite often rust forms in there from wet timber. Finishes can also lock them up some times.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

MJ
25th May 2000, 07:06 PM
Thanks . I've also stumbled on another answer. My local retailer, who uses a Bonham himself, suggested I buy an Allen key set into a 'T' handle. This way you can exert more downward pressure. Then catch is that you have to pay about $25 for what is essentially a 4mm allen key!

Marshall Gorrow
29th May 2000, 02:40 PM
Hello Mark,

Another possiblity is to use an allen key that has been cut off with a socket of the appropiate size. A little spray of "Liquid Wrench" and a ratchet with a 6" handle will remove most stubborn cap screws. The rap with a punch can't hurt either as long as you don't over do it and deform the head of the screw.

------------------

Marshall Gorrow
May your next turning be your best!