PDA

View Full Version : wanna see a stuff up???

bobkot
21st June 2009, 04:14 PM
I am starting a new project and I thought I will try to post it on the forum as it develops. I will not promise anything, it could work, but I think it will be interesting to see anyway.
I make marquetry with Stanley knife, I do not use scroll saw. Once upon a time in a furnitutre factory, making table tops by the dozens killed my enthusiasm for scroll saw work. I think it has its place, but I am interested in the knife cut.
I have no secrets in my work, any question welcome. Ideas are welcome too. It should be finished by the end of August.

The plan is to make a mirror frame, I am not finished with the planning, - well I never finish planning until sold or totally srewed up like my last one,hi hi hi it happens!!!, I always have new ideas - so at the moment it is a mirror frame of some sort.
The size is arond 2.4m high and 1m wide. (see attachment 5) It is a little odd frame, it is a mixture of frame and decorative item on the wall.

Plan of atttac:
:)Experiment with gold leafs, gilding some part is on my mind (not sure:rolleyes:, never done it) attachments 3 and 4
:)Make the 1:1 drawing
:)Select all suitable veneer ( warm coloured veneers I think with birds eye maple)
:)Experiment with the veneer cutting, how colours are matched, textures developed
:)Order mirror
:)Decide how the mirror going to be held
:)Glue veneer
:)Think of a little shelf how to incorporate????? not sure about that
:)Assemble
:)Sand and polish

SPIRIT
21st June 2009, 04:19 PM
good luck :)

RufflyRustic
21st June 2009, 08:13 PM
Looking on with interest, not for the stuff up, but for the WIP. :):2tsup:

bobkot
22nd June 2009, 11:37 AM
Thank you for the encourtagement, that will help.

Day 2

First drawing.
Not working yet,but it has potentials, so I'll collect veneer and start cutting them to see how they form the pattern.
I am after a texture more than following a pattern. So it is experimental, not sure where it's going.
The white paper will be the mirror, the brown is the timber. I will try to make pattern on the mirror, which connects it to the frame, only on the top a little. See the gilding experiment earlier, - get the mirror backing off and replace it with gold sheet. Something on that line.

bobkot
22nd June 2009, 05:08 PM
Still day 2

Pretty frustrated. The veneer suitcase secure lock is bloody secure. And I forgot the pin number. All the veneers are locked in niceley.

But I diged out some littel bits and pieces of veneer and it looks close what I am after. Not perfect but not bad.
My first attempt was very fiddly. It is easy to fall into the fiddle bit in marquetry. And of course did not work.
I started a new, just a corner of the pattern.
What do you think?:rolleyes:
the veneers are: border: maple,
jarrah, some burl, pear, and maple burl

RufflyRustic
22nd June 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, I honestly cannot say much or give you any ideas, this is way beyond my ken.:- I cannot get my head around the gilding and the marquetry, so instriguing. I guess I'm about to learn:D

BrettC
22nd June 2009, 09:45 PM
Looking good, saw a good demo on veneering at the Sydney WWW show at the week-end, has piqued my interest now:;

bobkot
23rd June 2009, 02:59 PM
what was the demo Brett?
Vacum? Tell us about it.