PDA

View Full Version : Which Lathe

redgum
21st June 2009, 05:09 PM
I have recently been given a woodturning lathe and am now hooked. The lathe I have is a Porsche (obviously not related to the car maker) it is very basic and made from pressed metal. While I have had some fun using it and certainly made some reasonable items (mainly bowls) it is obvious that if I am going to continue with the hobby seriously I need to upgrade to a much better quality lathe. I have done quite a bit of research so far. My wifes comment was "now you know how difficult it is for me to choose curtains and clothes"
I have narrowed the choice down to the Leda WL-1100V and the Nova 1624.
My preference at this point is for the Leda due mainly to the electronic speed control and the cast iron stand. The Nova certainly looks good but is only slightly cheaper by about $200. Although I will probably be doing some spindle work I will probably be concentrating on bowls.Does anyone have any advice on the two lathes or other suggestions?

Calm
21st June 2009, 08:35 PM
You say you are mainly interested in Bowls - you already have a "try & see" lathe and now know that you are uinterested in continuing to turn.

Therefore i suggest you get
a swivel head lathe (this will allow you to do any size bowl you like)
EVS or speed control/options from around 300rpm (minimum required) to 2000rpm or even 3000rpm (this means that you can turn any size or rough shape blank you like)

I think you have "out grown" the starter phase so consider this as your last lathe purchase as there are a lot of other thngs to buy - Tormek for sharpening, gouges, hollowing tools, Chucks and jaws etc the list is never ending, just remember you dont need them all now.

Cheers and enjoy the ride

redgum
21st June 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks David your right I am in semi retirement and the new lathe will be expected to last, I dont want to have to buy another so I am looking at a reasonably sized machine.

Thanks

Peter

nalmo
23rd June 2009, 07:24 PM
I've had a Nova 1624 for just over a year now and am really happy with it. Occasionally I find the belt changing a pita, but with practice it can be pretty quick and I feel the extra $800 for a variable speed drive or $1800 extra for a DVR might be better spent on the ongoing aquisition of tools, sharpening bits & pieces etc. I find the slower speed ideal for roughing out unbalanced bowl blanks, the rotating head & outrigger works fine for the largest pieces I'll be attempting for a long time to come.