PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this timber please?

Scribbly Gum
21st June 2009, 05:58 PM
I had about an hour in the shed this afternoon cleaning up and picked up what I thought was a piece of Red Cedar. It's not like any cedar I have, so I'm guessing not cedar.
I ran a piece through the bandsaw and planed a short length.
The sapwood is very pale cream and the heartwood is nearly purple-ish.
Here are a couple of pix including one of the outside of the log - well was a log once.
Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
I think it came from Malcolm Ward's place and I likely picked it up as an offcut of what I thought was cedar.
Cheers
SG

glen boulton
21st June 2009, 06:21 PM
no idea...
but i loved the 1st photo... it looks like a display, and the there is a real mood about the photo.

Claw Hama
21st June 2009, 08:09 PM
From Mal it is probably Tasmanian Myrtle, it will have purlple, vivid yellows, reds, with a soft sapwood often with large grub holes. Nice to work with and looks very nice, also turns well.

Stopper
21st June 2009, 08:34 PM
From Mal it is probably Tasmanian Myrtle, it will have purlple, vivid yellows, reds, with a soft sapwood often with large grub holes. Nice to work with and looks very nice, also turns well.
I agree, looks like myrtle to me.

Greg Ward
22nd June 2009, 10:23 AM
Could be Mackay cedar... red sirus, although borers don't normally attack the heart wood.
Regards
Greg

Wongo
22nd June 2009, 10:53 AM
Tasmanian Myrtle for me too.

Claw Hama
22nd June 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Greg, I thought it had a bit too much purple/maroon and yellow to be MacCedar. Hard to pick in photos.

How hard is it Scribbly? MacCedar seems to be a bit harder that Tasie M.

bench1holio
22nd June 2009, 04:22 PM
looks like dark red cedar to me!

Scribbly Gum
22nd June 2009, 05:16 PM
It's too soft to be Mackay Cedar and I am allergic to the stuff. I get pins and needles in the throat and airways, and skin irritation when I work Mackay Cedar, and that didn't happen with this.
It is the same general weight and density as Australian Red Cedar but it isn't red but purple-ish and the sapwood seems too clean and creamy to me.
Planed beautifully though.

Claw Hama
22nd June 2009, 06:02 PM
Tasie Myrtle then.

Scribbly Gum
22nd June 2009, 06:14 PM
It's too soft to be Mackay Cedar and I am allergic to the stuff. I get pins and needles in the throat and airways, and skin irritation when I work Mackay Cedar, and that didn't happen with this.
It is the same general weight and density as Australian Red Cedar but it isn't red but purple-ish and the sapwood seems too clean and creamy to me.
Planed beautifully though.

Oops.....................news flash.
I have just handled the samples again that I used in the photos.
...................yep - you guessed it - irritations everywhere.
So it's Mackay cedar.
It was pouring rain and 500% humidity when I handled it last so that might explain the lack of irritation then.
Sorry for the lack of symptoms earlier. Now I'm as itchy as.........
I wish it was Tas Myrtle, I'll have to burn this.
Scratch, scratch......
SG