PDA

View Full Version : Ash's SP1 Motorbike rocker

ashcook
21st June 2009, 07:48 PM
This is my first post other than my introduction in the Newbie thread. I thought I would show you guys what I'm up to at the moment.

It is for my major uni project but also for my youngest daughter. Its a half scale replica of a 2001 Honda SP1. It not quite finished but not far off as it is due next Friday.

Here are a couple of progress pics.

cheers,

Ash

scotty60
21st June 2009, 07:55 PM
Fantastic, job well done,i think shell love it :2tsup::2tsup:

Lignum
21st June 2009, 07:57 PM
That is sensational. Just love it:2tsup::2tsup:

Ruddy
21st June 2009, 09:37 PM
What Lignum said!!
That is a serious toy........Love it
Ruddy

ashcook
21st June 2009, 10:58 PM
cheers guys!

I'm pretty happy with how its coming along. I will keep the progress pics coming.

Christos
21st June 2009, 11:51 PM
Looking very nice

Lignum
21st June 2009, 11:58 PM
Ash, can you give us a bit of a run down on timbers used and construction. And what is the general length and height. Cant stop looking, i love it.

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 12:19 AM
No problem.

I started with the wheels, they are laminated 185x19 Merbau. Then I built the frame and swingarm followed by the forks, steering clamps and discs and sprocket. They are all Tassie Oak. I then started to build the body parts like the tank, ductail and fairings. They are all Cedar. I'm not 100% sure what type but have been told some type of Canadian Cedar. The headlights are Huon Pine. I couldn't help myself there, thought the Huon would represent the colour of the lights very well.

The rocker which will begin production tomorrow will be out of Tassie Oak as well. All the parts that haven't been clear coated are oiled. I wanted the fairings to really stand out out. Just like a real bike does.

I had one of these bikes not long ago and have pictures around the house of me riding it. My daughter recognises that it is me, so I thought she would love an SP1 her self.

It is half scale. Its a bit big for her at the moment but she'll grow into it before too long.

I've added a pic of the bike and one of me on mine so you get a better idea.

Thanks for all your comments guys. Its really appreciated!

cheers,

Ash

Wongo
22nd June 2009, 12:30 AM
That is impossible. Wow....

Lignum
22nd June 2009, 12:33 AM
You should e-mail a pic to Honda Australia. I bet they would get a buzz out of it.:)

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 12:40 AM
I'm just waiting until I have it finished and then yes, I'm going to do a few things like that. I use to work for a few Honda dealerships so there's a few people keen to see it. I'm even considering maybe going one step further and maybe doing some different ones, depends what interest I get back. But this one will forever be my daughters.

powder monkey
22nd June 2009, 12:41 AM
that's really great, how many hrs of sanding there but who cares it's for a little girl who obviously has her dad wrapped around her little finger. great job

Lignum
22nd June 2009, 12:44 AM
It would be cool to develop a compound rocker so the user can pretend they are going around corners as well:)

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm getting close to the 200 hour mark I think. I've been keeping a rough log as I have to do a folio for it but I think I typically under estimate how many hours I spend in the shed.

But yes your right, many many many hours sanding!!!

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 12:46 AM
It would be cool to develop a compound rocker so the user can pretend they are going around corners as well:)

haha, thats a great idea. Would be hilarious to see my 18 month old in her room with her knee scraping the ground:U

wheelinround
22nd June 2009, 10:33 AM
Ash welcome for starters :2tsup:

What a talent whats the Uni course to be doing a project like that??

I am about to embark on a silimar project for grandson like the one in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com./showthread.php?t=91060)

Now you'll notice if you read this thread a challenge was thrown down for the Aussies to do better ..........:; well Ash you got to have taken the prize :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
22nd June 2009, 10:38 AM
That is impossible. Wow....

:no: Wongo Wongo it ain't obviously now just cause this rocker has more horse power than your rocker's do ...........:rolleyes:

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 11:45 AM
Ash welcome for starters :2tsup:

What a talent whats the Uni course to be doing a project like that??

I am about to embark on a silimar project for grandson like the one in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com./showthread.php?t=91060)

Now you'll notice if you read this thread a challenge was thrown down for the Aussies to do better ..........:; well Ash you got to have taken the prize :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the kind complements!

It is for our final design class. We were basically allowed to design and produce anything we want. No real restrictions as long as it followed the year 12 Design and Technology syllabus. But there is no real restrictions there, that is more for the folio criteria.

I think I'm up for the challenge. Can't let us Aussie's down. At the end of the week I'll post up the completed job. See what the UK members think.

Is your Grandson keen on bikes? What style of bike are you looking at making?

cheers!!

FRB Design
22nd June 2009, 11:51 AM
Would be nice to see a RC-30 next..........Awesome work and scale .

Regards,
Frank.

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 11:54 AM
Cheers Frank!

I was thinking maybe a 1098 or even a 998. I've always had Honda's and a few Yamaha's but I have a soft spot for Ducati's. I use to spend my lunch break taking the demo bikes out for a spin.

Juffy
22nd June 2009, 03:23 PM
but I have a soft spot for Ducati's. I use to spend my lunch break taking the demo bikes out for a spin.

A wooden one would be more reliable too. :U

ashcook
22nd June 2009, 03:27 PM
A wooden one would be more reliable too. :U

Good call!

They may be dear as poison, not as reliable as a Japper but they are in a league of their own when your twisting the throttle wide open.

artme
24th June 2009, 07:48 PM
:o Stunning work Ash.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Son rides A "Duke".

ashcook
24th June 2009, 07:54 PM
thanks again.

I'm sure you'll see a Duke rocker sometime in the future.

I've got some update pics to upload in a little while.

cheers

ashcook
24th June 2009, 08:25 PM
Here's an update shot. Slowly getting the rocker together. The exhausts are on, less the exhaust tips. Footpegs are on and handlebars are half done. Have a few more things to do tonight but just letting it sit at the moment while the exhaust set.

I'm not pleased with any of my other photo's. The light is terrible and they have come out pretty blurry, so the next ones will be of it complete and nice and shiny.

Lignum
24th June 2009, 08:37 PM
Ash, what would a rough estimate of its weight be?

ashcook
24th June 2009, 08:41 PM
I would guess around 30kg total maybe. It is lighter than it looks. All the Cedar body parts are very light. A lot of the weight is in the wheels. Merbau is extremely dense and heavy.

wheelinround
24th June 2009, 08:53 PM
It's missing a spring front n rear so you can rock and lean into corners Ash :D:2tsup::2tsup:

Looking good

ashcook
24th June 2009, 08:58 PM
Might end up becoming a bit of a bucking bull ride if I were to do that. But it would be cool. Poor little girl would go flying across her bedroom. She would probably enjoy that though, haha!

cheers

wheelinround
24th June 2009, 09:02 PM
Only way to fly..............almost

Toyman
24th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Ash I have a grandson that would love this, is it possible to purchase a plan off you maybe? your craftmanship is second to none, well done I hope you do well.

Yours Kindly Ian ( Toyman )

wheelinround
24th June 2009, 09:14 PM
:rolleyes: good point

ashcook
24th June 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Ash I have a grandson that would love this, is it possible to purchase a plan off you maybe? your craftmanship is second to none, well done I hope you do well.

Yours Kindly Ian ( Toyman )

Thanks Ian, that is a great complement.

I am considering the possibility of building different styles and customising them to specific requests. I was waiting to complete this one, then test the waters once done. After some of the great feedback I have received so far, and not only from here, I think I have found myself a little niche that I would thoroughly enjoy.

But sorry, no plans at the moment. Maybe in the future, when I refine the build process. As you would expect, there are things I would definitely change next time.

Thanks again Ian, it means a lot.

cheers,

Ash

ashcook
26th June 2009, 07:05 PM
and the finished product

Lignum
26th June 2009, 07:11 PM
That’s more than just a toy, it’s a serious bit of woodcraft. Gotta be the best thing i have seen on this forum. Brilliant:2tsup:

AUSSIE
26th June 2009, 09:50 PM
ASH.I have spent a bit of time trying to put in words what I think of your masterpiece.
It is absolutely magic Ash.Way above anything I have seen.I wish you all the best with it at Uni.Let us know how it goes will you? You are a star:2tsup:
I can only dream off doing things like that but it keeps me happy trying:C

ashcook
26th June 2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys, all the feedback means a lot!

Not sure how I will go at uni as it was worth 80% but relied heavily on the supporting folio. As I spent almost every spare minute building it, my folio fell behind. Not to say it was small, it was around 18000 words and 180 pages, but failed to meet all the criteria. But I did what I could. With 3 kids and a forth due in 5 weeks, my wife was very tolerate of me spending so much time working on it.

cheers!

powder monkey
27th June 2009, 06:23 AM
and the finished product

ABSOLOTLY BRILLANT one question how did you make the wheel's , and of what??:2tsup:

ashcook
27th June 2009, 09:36 AM
ABSOLOTLY BRILLANT one question how did you make the wheel's , and of what??:2tsup:

Thanks mate!!

The wheels are laminated Merbau 185x19. 12 pieces in the rear, 8 in the front. There's a bit of weight in them and its a hard material to turn. But I went with it for the colour. I wanted the wheels and seat to be dark without any stains or additives.

cheers, Ash

scotty60
27th June 2009, 05:34 PM
Heres a few bikes i found on the net that are able to be brought.Think they range from about $300-$450 us ,will have to find the site again and post.

ashcook
27th June 2009, 05:39 PM
I did find a whole range of things like that when I was researching mine. That sort of dollars isn't bad though. I wonder how long to turn one out?

scotty60
27th June 2009, 05:40 PM
The guy was a builder and the industry went bad so he started building these and apparently hasnt looked back.

ashcook
27th June 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm really impressed for the money. I guess once you've done a few and build up a rhythm, the quicker you could build them too. Now that I've done one, I've picked up what to change next time and how to improve it.

wheelinround
27th June 2009, 05:48 PM
and the finished product

:)(:hooray::giveup:

well done Ash hope the daughter loves it

ashcook
27th June 2009, 05:50 PM
:)(:hooray::giveup:

well done Ash hope the daughter loves it

Thanks mate, she is unbelievably overwhelmed with it. Every time she see's me with a bit of timber, she says brrrm brrm.

scotty60
27th June 2009, 05:53 PM
Yes the first one always takes the longest,thinking how you can do this and do that then trying and modifying it and how to improve.On my custom chopper i stand and look at it for ages placing this here and what if i do that how will that look,even the pics i look to see how i can improve it but it will always get better next time around.

ashcook
27th June 2009, 05:57 PM
There were just thousands of different angles I had to cut in mine. In the tank alone there were about 25 separate pieces of timber with each edge being angled specifically to suit the mating piece. You know cut, glue, wait, cut glue wait, weeks it took. Next time, I'm simply going to laminate a block and shape it. I tried to build the shape I needed this time to reduce waste, but I don't think it was the best way to go about it. Live and learn!

scotty60
27th June 2009, 06:02 PM
Thats what i do watch and learn then do myself, then try different ways to improve

Wongo
27th June 2009, 11:24 PM
That’s more than just a toy, it’s a serious bit of woodcraft. Gotta be the best thing i have seen on this forum. Brilliant:2tsup:

Agree. It is just amazing. It would be an attraction in any wood show or exhibition. :2tsup:

I think putting in on a rocker kills it. It just doesn't look right.

artme
28th June 2009, 07:58 PM
Brilliant and beautiful!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Tex B
28th June 2009, 08:02 PM
Ash, that is fantastic! Absolutely brilliant work!

:2tsup::2tsup:

Your great grand children will be arguing over who gets to keep that one!

Well done.

Tex

ashcook
28th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Tex, I'm sure there may be arguments for generations. Lets hope no-one crashes it, ha!

cheers

Lignum
28th June 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm sure there may be arguments for generations.

Just so their arnt any ugly arguments, ill take it of your hands for a few hundred:)

ashcook
28th June 2009, 10:57 PM
Ha, maybe add another 0 to the end. But this one is for keeps.:U

Lignum
28th June 2009, 11:34 PM
Ash, i see you love your bikes:D and not sure if you have One HD on but in 15 minutes (10.45 sun night) they are replaying the Isle of Man doco from today…. Best bit of bike TV viewing I have seen for years. it’s a must must see.:2tsup:

ashcook
28th June 2009, 11:42 PM
Ash, i see you love your bikes:D and not sure if you have One HD on but in 15 minutes (10.45 sun night) they are replaying the Isle of Man doco from today…. Best bit of bike TV viewing I have seen for years. it’s a must must see.:2tsup:

Thanks Lig, I saw that in the TV guide and am disappointed I can't see it. We don't get the HD channels where are. I don't know why, but we miss out on so many good shows. Thanks for the heads up, hope you enjoy!

Lignum
28th June 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks Lig, I saw that in the TV guide and am disappointed I can't see it. We don't get the HD channels where are. I don't know why, but we miss out on so many good shows. Thanks for the heads up, hope you enjoy!

I am, 2nd time around. :) Watching the on bike camera is soooooooooo scary. Best part is the people sitting on the footpath 1 meter away with bikes going close to 300ks . Mind boggling.

Groggy
28th June 2009, 11:53 PM
Great piece of work and I agree about taking it to a show; it would attract a lot of interest :2tsup:

ashcook
28th June 2009, 11:55 PM
I am, 2nd time around. :) Watching the on bike camera is soooooooooo scary. Best part is the people sitting on the footpath 1 meter away. Mind boggling.

I did watch the MotoGP this morning and it was a good race. But Isle of Man is just nuts, those guys really do ride at a different level.

ashcook
28th June 2009, 11:57 PM
Great piece of work and I agree about taking it to a show; it would attract a lot of interest :2tsup:

Thanks Groggy! In the couple of days since I put it on a few forums, its already made its way to many others. I'm very surprised and pleased with the great feedback. A show would be a bit intimidating I think. But hopefully one day, I'll get an experience like that.

Thanks again!

driftit
18th July 2009, 01:42 PM
best kids rocker ever built!

ashcook
18th July 2009, 05:50 PM
best kids rocker ever built!

Thanks mate, that's great!

roscopeeko
10th August 2009, 07:19 PM
I miss my SP1...had it for 8 years. Man, that rocker is AWESOME.
cheers
rosco

ashcook
10th August 2009, 07:23 PM
Cheers rosco! I miss my SP1 too. It was a really fun bike to ride.

roscopeeko
10th August 2009, 08:09 PM
Maybe you could get a motard to fill the gap...I have a baby now too, so no more street racing. Now I can do wheelies at 20kmh!:2tsup:
I've sent your thread to a bunch of friends...its really good ashcook
cheers
rosco

ashcook
10th August 2009, 08:30 PM
I had a CRF450 motard a few years ago. I still have all my wheels and brakes and everything, but no bike. Have been going through some rehab to rebuild myself after a big accident a few years ago. But I'll get another bike in the future. I've always had a couple in the shed.

Thanks for showing my work around, I really appreciate that! I plan on doing another before too long, but something different next time. My wife is about to have a baby any day now and have a few other big commitments on my plate as well, but can't wait to get back into the sawdust before too long.

Appreciate the great feedback rosco,

cheers!

Ash

roscopeeko
10th August 2009, 09:09 PM
Good luck bro.
cheers
rosco