PDA

View Full Version : Workbench

Steve_DownUnder
6th July 2004, 03:47 PM
Howdy all

Just a couple of questions re building a work bench. I am in the process of planning a workbench, it will likely be trestle legs with an mdf top.

The questions I have are :

1. The top will be 3 layers of 3/4 MDF with 1/4 Masonite on top as a throw away when it gets damaged. The legs will be approx 1.6 metere apart, I know I am probably worrying about nothing but will this top sag or will I be able to dance a jig on it without bending ?

and

2. when attaching the mdf to the edging (oregon) should I coat the mdf edge with glue first to seal it ( or let it soak in at least) and then apply a second coat of glue prior to gluing to the edge ?

Am I overthinking this ? probably. any help would be appreciated ..

thanks

steve

craigb
6th July 2004, 06:00 PM
When I built my bench a few years ago, I used MDF on a Tas Oak frame. Actually, I got the plans from Australian Woodsmith, which I slightly modified.

The legs on mine are on 1200mm centres and the overall length of the bench is 1800mm. I have had absolutely no problem with it sagging. It is rock solid and bloody heavy.

When I put on the tas oak edging for the bench top, I used a 6mm strip of plywood as a spline and just routed a slot in the MDF and the TAS oak. It hasn't moved since. :)

HTH
Craig

PaulS
6th July 2004, 06:38 PM
Steve
Why not try a solid core door (gee they are heavy!), I got one for mine for $30 from a salvage yard, and picked up some old 2x4 hardward for the legs and rails.
I used this plan..
http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/wwrkbnch.html

Good luck!

Steve_DownUnder
7th July 2004, 06:31 PM
thanks guys at least it sounds like I'm on the right track finally !!

steve

jimmyjames
8th July 2004, 01:52 AM
That door tips is a beauty. I'm currently on the lookout for a cheapie at the moment!