PDA

View Full Version : Delta Midi Lathe

colbra
6th July 2004, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone
I have just purchased a Delta midi-lathe model 46-250 I am a novice to this wood turning the reason I got this particular model and size was to turn up small parts for models that I make from time to time I have a 4jaw chuck and some miniature chisels. I thought now that I have gone this far I might get into it a bit more and learn to make some other items that suit this style of lathe.
The parts for the models are very basic stuff and I have been using a drill press which done the job at the time. I now have small lathe and not much knowledge so any input from out there would be appreciated
Regards Colbra :)

fxst
6th July 2004, 10:14 PM
well you could turn pens, make weedpots small bowls, lidded boxes etc etc
welcome to the disease it will make u scratch and consume you now :D
enjoy and Im sure a look thru the archive will show u pics of the type of work that can be done on a small lathe
Pete

smidsy
7th July 2004, 11:33 PM
The best advice I can give is to join a wood turners group in your area.
Aside from the massive amount of knowledge these guys have to pass on, it's great to see what other people are doing.
Cheers
Smidsy

minis4meau
9th July 2004, 09:08 PM
Colbra,
Congratulations on the purchase of the Lathe, I am sure you will have a great time learning and using it. You say models, what type of work for models do you do? You mention that you have a four jaw chuck. I have never had the need to purchase one as I use Yellow Hot Melt Glue for all of my miniature turning - including spindles. It is quick and easy and SAFE - getting those knuckles too close to a spinning chuck on small objects doesn't bear thinking about!
Research a couple of books on the subject and practice. :)
Barbara

colbra
9th July 2004, 10:32 PM
Hi Barb
What a great idea using the hot melt glue this is only the start of the journey for me I would be using the lathe to turn up small parts of trucks or earth moving equipment I have built up some, but would like to get more detail although they would not be to any exact scale at the moment I am using plans from books later when I get my skill level up I would like to use digital photos and change them to bitmap images and work on them in a cad program to reproduce all sorts of earth moving plant but its only the start of the journey for me and to some extent only an idea at this stage but as I travel along its great to discuss it all with everyone out there I am always on the lookout for ideas and help
Regards Col

gatiep
10th July 2004, 12:11 AM
Col,

Barbara is right on the nail with the hotmelt glue. I use it for fairly large turning on face plates as well. I screw some MDF on the face plate then glue the blank on that. Works a treat but beware the hotmelt that comes with most guns can give you a negative surprise! Use good hotmelt like the long sticks in CT catalog.......they are about $1 each and go a long way. I use three blobs between the blank and MDF, then after turning knock it off with an old plane blade or wide chisel and a sharp blow.
I hope you have as much fun as I've had with turning.