PDA

View Full Version : angles required

jow104
6th July 2004, 09:42 PM
can any kind soul create a cad drawing for me using the following measurements for a small table (in garden) the aprons at the top have finished up 14mm thick by 75mm wide. I will have to use bareface type tenons because I had to plane out the thickness measurement because of excessive planeing
the measurements required to finish are (table top thickness will be added by me)

a= 570 mm height
b=540mm width
c=inside leg of apron (bottom edge) not known but about 318ish top edge 420mm.
d= square legs 58mm
e= apron width 75mm wide 14 mm thick

I will learn how to use a CAD program one day. I promise.
[email protected]

Guy
6th July 2004, 11:30 PM
John
Didnt know there were many wurzels on this site, used to live in axminster myself.

Dewy
7th July 2004, 11:27 AM
Wur bist thee blackbird?
Oh I know where ee be
'e be up yon wurzel tree & I be after ee ;)

jow104
7th July 2004, 05:59 PM
problem with us wurzels were not very good with CAD programs.

Rocker
7th July 2004, 06:18 PM
John,

I am not clear why you need the CAD drawing, or what angles you require. I can probably help, if you are more specific about what you want and why.

Rocker

Bob Willson
7th July 2004, 07:05 PM
I think he really wants an 'ANGEL"

jow104
7th July 2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks Rocker,
to be truthful I have never worked with tenons that have entered mortices at an angle ( both sides) . I am trying to ascertain by working from a drawing at what position to place the vertical section on the leg.
I have placed the components on a flat surface to the scale measurements, and can get an idea where to put joints, but thought I might find an angel who would provide a cad drawing.
My own cad program is very basic and has no technical support. One day I will spend out on a modern program where there is an help line.

jow104
7th July 2004, 09:22 PM
You have not mentioned how long ago you were a resident of Axminster, its just starting to modernise, they have got traffic lights, yellow lines and a pay as you park car park these days.
Axminster Tools have come out of their cottage and have just moved into purpose built premises.

Dewy
7th July 2004, 09:43 PM
Woody, I can't figure out where you want angles. :confused:
The drawing shows tenons at 90° at usual.
The only possible angled tenons I might expect would be if you had rails crossing at the middle of the table using a half lap where they cross.

jow104
7th July 2004, 09:47 PM
The drawing submitted was very crude, there are angles at the top of legs where aprons adjoin, if you note the measurements provided you can see the base is much wider than the top leg details provided, thats why I wanted a cad drawing.

Rocker
7th July 2004, 09:57 PM
John,
Like Dewy, I still can't see why your tenons would not be at 90 degrees. I can't help you unless you can clearly explain what angles they are that you are after.

Rocker

Dewy
7th July 2004, 10:02 PM
You generally keep the tenon square and angle the leg below the tenons.
If you are keeping the legs square but tipping them at an angle, I can see the problem.
I'd make a full size rod and follow that.

Rocker
7th July 2004, 10:05 PM
John,

OK; now I see. Your original diagram did not make it plain that the legs are splayed. I will do your diagram in the morning and e-mail it to you.

Rocker

Guy
7th July 2004, 10:55 PM
John
I was a resident there for about 13 years from 1974 till 1987 when I moved to Aus, was there 2 years ago and yes it has changed. Always remember that little old tool shop across the road fron Axminster secondary as it was called then in Chard Road. Used to spend my hard earned pocket money in that shop buy screwdrivers, pliers etc then. Now look at them, and yes i still buy tools from them.
Yes things have changed there now, the Thursday cattle market is non existant as is the other market, Shands and Carpets have gone as well now.
Actually it was Shute were I lived, my brother lives in Kilmington now and has a business in Dunkerswell making fence pailings.
If you know anyone who wants a 5 blade table saw that you drop you tree log onto, then get your pailings out the other side let me know and ill give you his number, cost him about 80,000GBP to buy 2 years ago