PDA

View Full Version : Where is that damnned Stubby - major gloat

wally peat
23rd June 2009, 03:01 PM
OK, with apologies to Ern and all those who wanted to know what he did with his big black beast, it's been at my place for a week, and I've finally managed to make the planets align sufficiently to post a photo here as proof. (I just hope it's small enough to be allowed on the forum).

By way of introduction as to why I'd buy a machine like this, I could explain how I picked up an mc900 from a school clearout some time ago, liked turning and thought one day when I could afford it I'd buy a real lathe, but I'm sure you can see through that and all recognise a tool s**t when you see one. :o

I reckon Ern's machine was a bargain, I was lucky with the freight and unless it's been badly abused, the work it has already done has barely run it in. Should still be turning things when I've done turning in my grave.

I'm a keen woodworker, and if you want to know my preferences in woodwork, check out my avatar. Unfortunately you can only keep so many boats in the yard, so diversify it is. I have pretty much everything to learn about turning, but I went to a class and really enjoyed using a skew, so I figure the rest of the journey can only get better.

That means I won't be taking up with the Stubby where Ern left off, probably more like I'll be somewhere the other side of where he started, but there's some good woodturners in Townsville, and so far they've been free with their advice and support.

If any of you forumites are in the area and want to come and have a turn, just pm me and we'll arrange a time. Hopefully I'll learn something too.

Just one other thing to gloat about... The same time the stubby arrived, someone I know cut down a substantial mango tree, and the best bits were kept out of the chipper. This weekend one of those generous local turners showed me how to slab it with the chainsaw, and I was stunned to find a glorious fiddleback grain right through the centre of the slab. You will see from the second photo, that the slab is sitting on the same pallet that delivered the Stubby to my place, so it's just as well I've found a lathe with the capacity to turn something big - the fiddleback goes right out to the sides.

Hopefully I'll make something worth photographing to post here, but I would like to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum for all the things I've learnt already, and a very special big shout to Ern, who delivered everything he promised, and all packed with the care and attention he obviously takes with his woodturning.

Gotta go, something's calling me from the shed :D

artme
23rd June 2009, 03:26 PM
Don;t really need to turn anything just yet to appreciate that gorgeous beast! Just sit and admire it before it gets a wee bit grubby!:D:D:p

tea lady
23rd June 2009, 03:46 PM
Wat to much floor visible in that shed. The stubby'll soon sort that out.:D

munruben
23rd June 2009, 05:11 PM
Congratulations on purchasing your new toy. Terrific. Now that's a lathe.:2tsup:

Harry72
23rd June 2009, 08:06 PM
Nice toy!

You might want a cover over that TSC10HB... "wet wood not good" DAMHIKT

dai sensei
23rd June 2009, 08:34 PM
Lucky man to have the room, great pick-up. If I had the room, I would have bought it in a blink of an eyelid.

Calm
23rd June 2009, 09:40 PM
Congratulatons Wally:2tsup:

Personnaly i wouldnt bother putting up a gloat thread - it's only a lathe

no its not

its a STUBBY :hapy::yippy::clap3::yippee:

Well done and welcome to the club but dont expect the infidels (those without a STUBBY) to understand, poor peasants they cant help it.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
23rd June 2009, 09:48 PM
looks a bit too clean :~ Tis probably a cardboard cutout :cool:

rsser
23rd June 2009, 11:27 PM
Yep, can sell you another one just like it Nick ;-}

Good to see the Beast arrived safely Peter. Looks quite at home there.

And I envy you the figured mango score. Should be ideal for green turning when you get your gantry crane set up.

tea lady
23rd June 2009, 11:47 PM
looks a bit too clean :~ Tis probably a cardboard cutout :cool:I could email you a pic so you could photo shop it anywhere you like. You might have to photo shop the turned things too though.:doh: No mess which is one good thong.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2009, 12:09 AM
Just print off any one of the Stubby photos that have started spamming these forums :D then cut out the lathe shape and glue it to a piece of clear perspex.

Any time you take a photo of your shed, hold the perspex in front of the camera. (If you're smart, you'll make up several of these with the lathe at different viewing angles & lighting.)

Wally, you have no idea how close it came to living in my shed instead of yours. Luckily for you, a shortage of round tuits got in my way. :wink:

Ed Reiss
24th June 2009, 12:22 AM
David...instead of "Calm", you should probably change your handle to "The Instigator"

Signed "One of the Poor Peasant Infidels" :q :~ :C :D:D:D

Calm
24th June 2009, 07:52 AM
Just print off any one of the Stubby photos that have started spamming these forums :D then cut out the lathe shape and glue it to a piece of clear perspex.

Any time you take a photo of your shed, hold the perspex in front of the camera. (If you're smart, you'll make up several of these with the lathe at different viewing angles & lighting.)

Wally, you have no idea how close it came to living in my shed instead of yours. Luckily for you, a shortage of round tuits got in my way. :wink:

Is this the bit where i post all the photos of mine again:D:D:D:D:D:D