PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box needing a finial

jefferson
23rd June 2009, 07:50 PM
I haven't done a lot of lidded boxes - 4 to date. This one is quite a simple form. It's out of Northern Mahogany and I had a few problems with the jam chuck marking the inside of the base.

Here it is - can I rescue it?

I was thinking of a finial out of something..... Depending on the advice, I'll ring Trend Timber tomorrow and put an order in for some stuff, maybe $200-$300. What size guys and what type of wood?

I was in information over-load at the Sharp-On and only remember that I should turn a tenon and glue with araldite, not super-glue. I have a few mills to work with but not much.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd June 2009, 07:53 PM
I thought you had a spare finial rattling around in your pocket? This isn't the box you were told to turn to fit under it? :innocent:

dai sensei
23rd June 2009, 08:31 PM
Hmm, not sure the shape lends itself to a finial, but perhaps just my taste. Perhaps draw it up in sketch-up or something similar, to see what suits to you, then think about timbers.

funkychicken
23rd June 2009, 08:35 PM
Hmm, not sure the shape lends itself to a finial,

Agreed

robyn2839
23rd June 2009, 08:42 PM
agreed here also, i like the clean simple lines,perhaps the lid could be tighter...bob

jefferson
23rd June 2009, 09:30 PM
I thought you had a spare finial rattling around in your pocket? This isn't the box you were told to turn to fit under it? :innocent:

Yes Andy I do have a spare finial kicking around but I'm not parting with it! Like the little box that Ken turned on the weekend, it's kept here as a reference point.

And no, this is not the box I was told to put under it. (That project may be some time away).

This is the box I turned months back, power sanded too heavily and cracked the end grain without understanding why - until the crew here put me on the right track re: slowing the speed down, watch for heat and be patient. (Another lesson learnt.)

But thankfully, I'd left plenty of wood in both the base and top, so I had another go at it late last week.

I just don't like the end result - a sad waste of good timber. But a good learning exercise anyway.

I've got a couple of weeks until I get my new mini-tools / new rest and my old Tormek sorted out so there's no hurry with the finial. has already suggested I practice some more on American Cherry (turns well doesn't it?)

I might just turn a knob instead - got to do something to salvage it. Got to be worth $2 at the flea market, surely?

Jeff

KenW
23rd June 2009, 09:51 PM
Jeff, the box looks good the way it is. If that is only your fourth box,you are doing fine.
I wouldn't show anybody my fourth box. Sit this box somewhere near your lathe, look at it, and then make a better one. Maybe a more elegant shape. Leave the finials until you are more confident.
Ken

DJ’s Timber
23rd June 2009, 10:19 PM
What the Finial master said, leave it as is and give it time till you're ready for turning finials

jefferson
23rd June 2009, 10:51 PM
Good advice from all - thanks.

I refused to bring the piece up into the house, except for the photos. Too many imperfections. There is at least some QA going on here but I was hoping for a rescue mission. Never mind.

The earlier pieces, like this one, will stay in the shed. For how long, I don't know. I tend to burn mistakes, but I probably should keep them. So in two or three years time I can see (hopefully) some tangible progress with my turning.

The very first music table I built also remains in storage. I look at it occasionally and quietly chuckle at the finish (spray on poly that looks like plastic), the harshness of the tapered legs - and worse, the sap wood stick glued in the middle of the top.

I learnt from it and have built some nice panelled display cases out of redgum. Unfortunately, I've got the bug turning bug now and the bar has been set so very high....

Jeff

tea lady
23rd June 2009, 11:09 PM
Jeff, the box looks good the way it is. If that is only your fourth box,you are doing fine.
I wouldn't show anybody my fourth box. Sit this box somewhere near your lathe, look at it, and then make a better one. Maybe a more elegant shape. Leave the finials until you are more confident.
Ken
So do you still have your first piece Ken? :D :worthlesswithoutpics:

tea lady
23rd June 2009, 11:16 PM
I quite like jefferson's little box.:cool: It looks like it might be nice to hold. Maybe cos I'm coming from doing pottery I always imagine things being held :shrug: The drive for skinnier, taller finer, wider is not always the best thing for a piece. I try for a certain "thusness", that I find hard to explain. I try and make the piece look like it always was like that. :think: And I guess I also like to make the piece look comforting. I don't make my pottery to thin either cos you feel like you are having tea at a grumpy maiden aunt's house all the time. :C ( always scared that you might break some of her best china on her heirloom carpet.:doh: )

artme
23rd June 2009, 11:24 PM
No finial needed, and that's finial!!

Ad de Crom
23rd June 2009, 11:42 PM
Jeff, I like your lidded box, seems to me a small box, in my humble opinion you don't have to make a finial as the lid is big (high) enough to get it off with your hand.
This lidded box is just fine for me.
Look to the lidded boxes of Mike Stafford, he never makes a finial for his lidded boxes.
They look in a certain way simular to your lidded box.
Ad :2tsup:

jefferson
24th June 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I know it's not perfect or anywhere near it. But it was a good learning experience.

I've picked up a few tips from Ken W. about end-grain hollowing and using the calipers for the lid-fit that will help with the next one.

Stay tuned.

Jeff

KenW
24th June 2009, 06:48 PM
So do you still have your first piece Ken? :D :worthlesswithoutpics:

My daughter still has one of my first pieces,a Red Gum vase. It would have to be one of the ugliest vases you have ever seen. She likes to produce it every now and then, just to stir the old man.
I'm sorry I don't have a picture.