PDA

View Full Version : I will show mine if you show me yours.

RETIRED
24th June 2009, 12:24 AM
These are "golf tees" 1.8m long.108806108807

This is a "King" It is 2.7m long.108808

These are just decorative bollards.108809108810

This is a support for a spiral staircase.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=52595

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2009, 12:32 AM
:p

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36106 http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36105

Ed Reiss
24th June 2009, 12:34 AM
....oh no, NOT goin' there !!!!!!!

but on second thought.....

Rum Pig
24th June 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm disappointed Skew I thought you would have included a captive ring:D:doh:

jackliveshere
24th June 2009, 09:30 AM
I'd like to see the bloke teeing off those golf tees !! :o

And skew, that is very well done....and tiny :U

powderpost
24th June 2009, 09:54 AM
Ok... , here are mine... These are for non drinkers?? :D From the left No. 4,7 and 8 are bone.
Jim

RETIRED
24th June 2009, 09:58 AM
Jim, you must have better eyes than mine.

No shortage of material if you turn matchsticks.:D

powderpost
24th June 2009, 11:08 AM
And that was with one crook eye...:D
Jim

TTIT
24th June 2009, 04:50 PM
Just woke up to what I can make from that one last tiny-weeny bit of Purple Gidgee - - - - - - - if I can rig a magnifying glass to the Stubby somewhere :U

KenW
24th June 2009, 06:38 PM
Jim, are those the Goblets you use for visitors? I hope you have larger ones when we visit Mareeba.

jefferson
24th June 2009, 07:30 PM
Ken has let me post the pics we took on Monday - thanks for sharing it with us all.

Sorry about the quality, but the work is mind-blowing.

Here they are (some in Melbourne may have seen before):

108861 108862 108863 108864 108865 108866 108867 108868 108869

I know Ken is too modest to talk about which items "passed muster", so , as one of the judges, you might want to share the details. It all is truly inspirational.

And I will post some pics tomorrow of some table legs (with 's signature vase) if I remember. (The Axe Wielding Mongrel can turn small stuff too.)

Jeff

artme
24th June 2009, 08:03 PM
No doubt about Ken Wraight! Artistic genius.

He gave a demo at our club about two years ago and my head is still spinning. No bloody wisecracks from the rabble please!:p:p:p

jefferson
24th June 2009, 08:38 PM
Ken lent me 3 DVDs of a presentation he gave at the Peninsular Woodturners Guild - all 6 hours of it.

I MIGHT send it back soon, along with a lump of something for Ken to play with. (The only good stuff I have is soft - Congo Mahogany - which will not present any challenge at all. That said, I do have a small yellow-box "helmet" burl.... Plenty of cracks and hopefully hard enough to test him.)

There is no doubt that Ken can turn better than most. But he is such a great presenter and educator. His style is informative, always witty and he talks an audience through what he is doing. And he really wants to share what he knows, which is why I like him (and my master ) so much.

But how can you turn and talk at the same time?

Calm dropped in the other week - and my lathe faces the door - and I didn't even notice his appearance. Scared the you know what out of me once I became aware of the Ballarat Stubby in the shed.

I hope all that view Ken's work may get to meet him one day. He's a very nice fellow.

Bugger has talked me into attending the TurnFest in Qld next year though.....

Jeff

KenW
25th June 2009, 11:28 AM
Jeff, you did a good job of the photos.
I'm glag you didn't find the DVDs to boreing. To be able to turn and talk at the same time took nearly as much practice as learning to turn. Helen often comes out to the shed to see who I am talking to, only to find me talking to myself, this is how I practice.

Can somebody please explain how I insert a photo in a response. tried to explain on the weekend, that was several days ago and I can't remember.

Mark Placek
25th June 2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Ken,

To attach a photo in a post; click on the paperclip to the right of the smiley.
A new window will appear, you'll be able to upload from your computer,
make sure the picture you're uploading is about 100k.

I hope this helps, Mark

ps. I saw your "Cinderella carriage" on the Wow's, magnificent work.. bravo!

DJ’s Timber
25th June 2009, 11:35 AM
Can somebody please explain how I insert a photo in a response. tried to explain on the weekend, that was several days ago and I can't remember.

Here you go Ken

Posting Pictures to Your Post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760)

wheelinround
25th June 2009, 11:42 AM
Ok... , here are mine... These are for non drinkers?? :D From the left No. 4,7 and 8 are bone.
Jim

Jim may we see a photo of the lathe you did these on :2tsup: in comparison to 's of course

KenW
25th June 2009, 12:00 PM
Here you go Ken

Posting Pictures to Your Post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760)

Thanks DJ, I will give it a try later today.
Ken.

RETIRED
25th June 2009, 12:03 PM
If you run into problems give me a call and I will talk you though it.

artme
25th June 2009, 12:42 PM
:oKenW!!!!!!!

He walks among us!!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

KenW
25th June 2009, 07:18 PM
I am atempting to upload a photo. If this works, this piece is called Ten Degrees of Separation.

jefferson
25th June 2009, 07:32 PM
Ken, what about Vertical Separation?

I don't know who owns the copyright on the Peninsular demo you did on DVD, but others will no doubt benefit from the view. DVD's back in the post tomorrow (reluctantly) and my thanks.

Here is my brag sheet for the day:

Not much to show - I've half completed the outside of the base of a little box, but can't finish until the new hollowing tool arrives. Box no 5 coming soon....

Jeff

KenW
25th June 2009, 07:45 PM
Jeff, I don't know who owns the copyright either. The Peninsular club alwys gives the demonstrator a copy of their demo. It's a great way for me to learn.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
As for Vertical separation, I thought that I would try one photo to see if I could upload.
There seems to be a large pile of shavings for a little box, how big was the lump of timber that you started with?

RETIRED
25th June 2009, 08:01 PM
Jeff, I don't know who owns the copyright either. The Peninsular club alwys gives the demonstrator a copy of their demo. It's a great way for me to learn.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
As for Vertical separation, I thought that I would try one photo to see if I could upload.
There seems to be a large pile of shavings for a little box, how big was the lump of timber that you started with?Perhaps he is combining my style of turning with yours?:D

jefferson
25th June 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
There seems to be a large pile of shavings for a little box, how big was the lump of timber that you started with?

Ken, I don't think you have too much more to learn. Being a little isolated up here in the "bush", I've done some stalking..... You are at the forefront of what you do and I'm sure the others here on the board are glad to have you here too.

The DVD was great. I loved it when you cut your finger!

As for that pile of shavings, it wasn't out of Congo Mahogany I assure you.

I was just practicing with my gouges on something wet and soft. Cypress I think - I pilferred it from last weekend. Good timber for me to be practicing on instead of my redgum stash.

I know it was half-green, but I gained some valuable experience in turning something nice and soft. Redgum isn't' a good place to start.

I almost have the sheer-scrape imbedded in the muscle memory. That said, I did have some problems with cutting a "square". (A very useful series of cuts for my lidded boxes on end grain).

I know you "step" it and then use a gouge with a snout, but it's not easy to get the 90 degree angle without a catch.

Just waiting for the new tools to arrive, so I can go "small". New tools and rests.

Skew likes it small too and I'm hoping he'll be up here soon with Calm and DJ.

Jeff