PDA

View Full Version : Started my truck

Pages : [1] 2

AUSSIE
24th June 2009, 10:28 AM
STARTED MY TRUCK
A Model "A" Ford
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108820&d=1245798731

Hopefully it will look something like this one from Toys&Joys Catalog!
Pic one is their cat photo of the truck (Not mine)

The truck is made mainly from Jarrah ,with some american maple,cyprus and some unknown to me.
Gathered my bits of wood for the different parts of the truck To make sure I had enough Plus some spare as backup for my mistakes.I havent much Jarrah left.
Started marking out the front guards and cut them on the bandsaw.
Surprise!! they both turned out the same.
Next,I started cutting various strips for the chassis and tray etc.
I really haven't got a good enough saw for this small stuff yet,but working on it.:D
The thicknesser got a bit of a run as well ,making the wood for the truck cabin.
Inner guards were cut from scrap left over from the main guard cutting

munruben
24th June 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Ross, I am sure this thread is going to receive plenty of interest. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
24th June 2009, 08:38 PM
Bout time to Ross :p been a while waiting to see your next project

John's going to do his WIP also.:;

Billy
24th June 2009, 11:22 PM
Lookin' forward to following your build Aussie:U, if it's anything like your car it'll be a ripper.:2tsup:
That cars a hard act to follow though:C

I'm flat out having a big clean up, don't want to start anything until I can see the bench and floor ( did I mention the sawdust?) and find all my tools.:-

Although being quite unable to help myself I am halfway through making a case for my electric guitar ( the latest source of dust ):doh:
Made up some custom coloured stain to match the guitar, came out pretty good.:B

Cheers, Billy, knee deep in sawdust

AUSSIE
25th June 2009, 04:38 PM
First up.The toys&Joys truck seems to have disappeared (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ei=RAVDSvjpM4aIkAXqxdW-Dw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=disappeared&spell=1) on the first thread.I will try again Maybe one of the mods could put it back please?

See if this one stays around? 1st photo below I hope:2tsup:

Also if you have any questions just ask.I have been ask about the size of this truck.
It will be Approx 19 inches OR 48 cm long.so it is a fair size.

Well today I sanded the guards down,then sliced them to the correct width.You can see the offcuts in the photos.
I used a spindle sander with the 3" drum attached.They make life easy for this sort of thing,internal and external curved sanding:2tsup:
After scanning parts for the cabin,I cut the scans to size and glued them to the 6mm thick jarrah
Trimmed the pieces to size and cut the window openings on scroll saw.
Then the good part. I filed and sanded the openings to get the sides straight and the corners round and all the same.Tools used were a dremal type tool (ozito) with a 1/4" drum,and hand filed with a small modelers file set.
It is a bit tricky cutting the sides for the cabin.The back of the cabin is wider than the front--soo- the 2 vertical cuts on each of the 4 panels and cut at an angle.Out with the protractor then set the saw and away you go.Was worrying me abit,but all went fine
Back to the bandsaw & cut the lines to represent the doors on the cabin sides.These are hard to see in the photos,but will show up better when painted I hope:B
Still an the bandsaw ,I cut a block of jarrah to suit the roof.It has a curved top.When I cut the curve,I then sanded it on a disc sander to get front to back curve right.
Then marked the side taper from front to back using the cabin as the template.I rounded the side edges off the roof and the cabin back corners on the router table
I just reread this:oo: This will all fall into place later I hope:D

mick59wests
25th June 2009, 07:30 PM
Great to see you back into it! You have picked another challenging project but based on your earlier efforts I am sure it will be a beauty!

cheers

Mick:)

Billy
26th June 2009, 05:46 PM
hi Aussie, nice photos, :)looks like its going to be a fairly big model.:oo:
Is it in scale to the car?:rolleyes:
I spose you can get more detail with a larger project, no doubt it'll be a classy looking rig when done.:2tsup:
Is it a sawdust carrying truck?:doh:

Billy

AUSSIE
26th June 2009, 07:47 PM
:roflmao:
hi Aussie, nice photos, :)looks like its going to be a fairly big model.:oo:
Is it in scale to the car?:rolleyes:
I spose you can get more detail with a larger project, no doubt it'll be a classy looking rig when done.:2tsup:
Is it a sawdust carrying truck?:doh:

Billy
Hi guys.
BIlly,The truck will be Approx 19 inches OR 48 cm long.
The 34 chev is 16 inches OR 40.6cm long
To give you an idea,the wheels on both are 2 3/4" dia or 7cm
The small parts I am making don't seem any easier or harder to make than they were on the Chev.The only thing I have noticed is your favorite-- SAWDUST.---
Cutting the many small strips of wood needed for the truck,it is making heaps of saw dust.Many strips are narrower than the saw blade cutting them.So I am getting more saw dust than wood left over.:D
Buy the way Billy,it will be a sawdust carrying truck,I will have to get rid of it somehow:roflmao:

good to see you back

Great to see you back into it! You have picked another challenging project but based on your earlier efforts I am sure it will be a beauty!

cheers

Mick:)

Thanks Mick. This one isnt as much of a mystery to make,after making the first one.I feel more at ease and not worrying if it is going to be ok,or whether that part will fit etc.

Also thanks John & Ray you have been (and into the future I hope) a great help to me.
No update tonight guys, Should have one tomorrow:no:

Billy
27th June 2009, 11:49 AM
hi Aussie, what are you doin for wheels? making your own or did you get some already to go?
billy

AUSSIE
27th June 2009, 07:11 PM
3RD Days Work On Truck
Doesn't look much work,but it took time to turn up the clutch and brake pedals,srearing column & gear stick.
Made up the seat.A plain one this time for an old truck.I am kicking myself about it now,it looks crappy.I thought it was OK til my wife picked on it and said it looked too much like a lump of wood.OH well.
Glued in the firewall and all the small turnings and the seat
Nearly forgot the gauge panel .It is the same as used in the car,a shaped piece of Jarrah,drilled 3 holed and fitted in tas oak doweling.Cut them flush and sanded.
Cleaned it up and a coat of poly.Sanded top edges off cabin,then glued the roof on.
Then final shaping and matching roof to cabin sides
Will put this aside for awhile now and make some other parts.
Nearly forgot to mention the front guards.I shaped them a bit better then stuck the inner guards on.The inner guards are cut from same Bit of jarrah but when wiped with poly came up a lighter color.The other thing in the guard pics is the front axle.A lot more to do to that yet.
All glue is either CA or epoxy NO PVA
Tomorrow I hope will be the fuel tank/scuttle and bonnet work:;
Billy I will be doing the wheels a bit later

scotty60
27th June 2009, 07:16 PM
Great to see you got another one under way Aussie,Looking great but weres the photos.Got to have pics.

AUSSIE
27th June 2009, 07:28 PM
Great to see you got another one under way Aussie,Looking great but weres the photos.Got to have pics.
YEH I know.I forgot them,Then I didnt have some token thing they needed!!!??? Went OK the next timeHave a look now:2tsup:

scotty60
27th June 2009, 07:37 PM
Much better, they look great :2tsup:now i know why you lose things if you forget to put pics up.:doh:

munruben
27th June 2009, 08:11 PM
Looking great mate. I wouldn't worry about the seat, I think its authentic. Wouldn't have been anything fancy in the real thing in those days.

AUSSIE
28th June 2009, 05:23 PM
DAY FOUR The Bonnet (Hood to USA'ens.)

OK My mind is back on the job again.Today I start to make the bonnet.
Scratched my head for a bit about getting the right angles and length.They need to be close to spot on or better.I don't want it to look like one of those market spud boxes that have been run over by a truck.
I first marked out the top and cut to length.Then set the incra (cheapest one) to the degree angle I wanted.Cut the angle on one side and checked .Was fine so measures width needed and marked bonnet top
I sneaked up ont he line with the saw till it was dead on .then made the cut.
This all may sound a bit fussy,but no,This bit of wood is only about 60mm x 50mm so a small error looks like a major problem.
I had to work out a way of getting the sides right,I decided the easiest way was to use the bandsaw, and bonnet top as a template. worked fine as in photos
I never had this bandsaw when I made the car,so had to use a cheap bench saw I set up to suit myself
The 2 sides need a strip cut from them before you cut the bonnet vents.The strip is then glued back on after cutting the vents.No photo of strips being cut
I cut the vents as in photos about 4mm incl kerf apart.I relied on the scale on the saw for the setting.It is probably ok but I have some of the spacings slightly wrong.
Once again hard to pick in real life but a photo shows it up.
Hint If you are going to make something like this ,make sure it is all spot on as mistakes or not quite right looks way to bad..I dont have that ability yet but trying.I have never been a woodwork person untill a few years ago.No training,all learned from this wwf and trial and error.Thanks for all the hints guys:U
OK back to work .I glued the strips on sides as in photo and sanded to remove fluff
I had to make the scuttle/fueltank next No photos of making that ,sorry.It is made from tas oak,cut about 4 mm smaller than the plan.I then veneered it with Jarrah and sanded to shape.The main reason I did this was I cut the bonnet for my car from one piece and cut the angles on it.When poly was put on it looked different from different angles (color)
Doing it as a veneer it is all cut along the grain.I dont know the right terms for all of this but you will get it I hope.
Now that the scuttle is the correct shape ,I butted the bonnet up and marked the shape on the bonnet and the front was marked to suit the drawing f the grill surround.
Off to the disc sander to put the curve on the top.Then sanded with paper stuck on a strip of wood to get it straighter.
More photos next post below:2tsup:

AUSSIE
28th June 2009, 05:26 PM
I can ramble on abit I am told.So this is the remaining bonnet photos:D

Ruddy
28th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Looking very good Aussie.....Enjoy making the truck, the final model looks great. I made two of these to the same plans about 5 years ago for my grandsons.One of the trucks still exists and it was treated with moderate respect and withstood the rigours of boys playing with trucks. The other one went overboard on a yacht trip to the Whitsundays and probably is still slowly making its way across the South Pacific,
Keep the posts coming, its interesting to see how you are making it,
Ruddy

AUSSIE
28th June 2009, 06:49 PM
Looking very good Aussie.....Enjoy making the truck, the final model looks great. I made two of these to the same plans about 5 years ago for my grandsons.One of the trucks still exists and it was treated with moderate respect and withstood the rigours of boys playing with trucks. The other one went overboard on a yacht trip to the Whitsundays and probably is still slowly making its way across the South Pacific,
Keep the posts coming, its interesting to see how you are making it,
RuddyHave you got any photos Ruddy.
I have no idea how anyone else would go about building this model>I am following my nose and Putting it all out there .Send me a pm if I am doing something different or wrong.I am really puting this on so I can get better.If no one tells me I may never know.:2tsup:
Cheers Aussie

scotty60
28th June 2009, 07:14 PM
Wheres the blown big block ??Looking great Aussie keep it coming

AUSSIE
28th June 2009, 07:54 PM
Wheres the blown big block ??Looking great Aussie keep it coming
Could be coming one day:D I am a conservative guy you know:roflmao::fart:

artme
28th June 2009, 08:02 PM
Right up To your usual high standards Aussie.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Billy
29th June 2009, 05:50 PM
nice one aussie,:D looking good:2tsup:
cheers, billy:o

still sweepin up sawdust

AUSSIE
30th June 2009, 11:09 AM
The parts that holds the truck together,The Chassis was made today.
I used as much care as I could getting it square and flat.If this is wrong it may make the whole truck wrong.Each of the other major bits must fit this.
Nothing fancy.Made from Jarrah strips and a piece of cypress pine.
I also cut the front and rear axle cross members and drilled them for the axles.I did this to make sure they fitted properly before the cabin and bonnet obstruct things.
They are not needed for awhile & also need shaping,so I can do them when I feel like it now.
Founf a bit of scrap big enough to do the front bumper.Marked it out and cut on the bandsaw,sanded to finished shape and drilled the ends 3mm ,slit in half and inserted 3mm dowel.That is about all I could fit in today:2tsup:

scotty60
30th June 2009, 09:09 PM
So your not only forgetting things your getting slower in your old age.:roflmao2:

Lignum
30th June 2009, 09:13 PM
Great work Aussie, im really enjoying looking at you guys and all the fantastic toys you are making. :2tsup:

AUSSIE
1st July 2009, 11:20 PM
Grill making Day
I am a bit late today.For some reason I had internet troubles.Turns out it needed a reset from optus.It wasn't my end.
Well I cut the small piece for the grill about a week ago now.Today I stuck a scan from the drawings on it and drilles a few holed in the centre to enable scrollsaw blade entry.
Cut the centre out. Next I cut a blank to fit the cutout in grill.I sneaked up on the fitting as I wanted this as a template for the finished grill bars.The grill is 3mm x 3mm strips of Jarrah and some light wood I was given??? I don't know:doh:
Put them on some wax lunch wrap side by side about 4 or 5 at a time,holding them down,then hitting them with thin CA glue on the back I did this till I had enough stuck together for the grill opening plus a few extra to be safe.I coted the back with thick CA and hit with activator.
Sanded the front smooth and a few coats of wop.Came up OK.
Next marked size from template.cut and sanded to fit.
I did all this before cutting the outside shape off grill shell to keep its strength.
Cut outsode shape and run the router around it. Marked thickness and sliced on bandsaw
A few coats of wop,then inserted grill bars and used thick CA from the back making sure none wicked to the front

AUSSIE
3rd July 2009, 09:19 AM
So your not only forgetting things your getting slower in your old age.:roflmao2:
I just noticed this Scotty
From a guy that has taken 2 1/2 months so far ---- to build a chopper:roflmao2:
Something for you to look forward in your old age (another 14 years):roflmao2:
That is if you haven't come off that chopper by then
Just joking Scotty.
OH that real chopper leaves me cold.Keep the motor and wheels .Turf the frame.:oo:

Harry72
3rd July 2009, 02:51 PM
Hey my earlier post here is missing!

Looking good Aussie, you dont see models like this very often its a credit too you!

munruben
3rd July 2009, 04:17 PM
Coming along great Ross, Quick question, when you have to make 2 of something such as sides of cab or sides of bonnet. Do you cut the piece to shape using a thicker piece of timber and then slice it through the middle so each piece is the same, or do you make each piece separate? If you do make each piece separate, Do you think it would work by cutting the shape out with a thicker piece of timber then slice it with the BS.so you had one of each side exactly the same dimensions to work on. Maybe you already do it this way. The thought just struck me. :)

AUSSIE
3rd July 2009, 04:59 PM
Coming along great Ross, Quick question, when you have to make 2 of something such as sides of cab or sides of bonnet. Do you cut the piece to shape using a thicker piece of timber and then slice it through the middle so each piece is the same, or do you make each piece separate? If you do make each piece separate, Do you think it would work by cutting the shape out with a thicker piece of timber then slice it with the BS.so you had one of each side exactly the same dimensions to work on. Maybe you already do it this way. The thought just struck me. :)
WOW! See how I go answering this one=
When I make sides= I start with a length of wood I have put through the thicknesser & cut down to finished thickness for sides.With the car I stuck 2 bits together with thin double sided tape from a craft shop.Then stuck a scan of the side on top.Next cut the window opening and cleaned up to finished size and run a 1/8" roundover bit around the opening.Dont forget to do both sides while stuck together.It just makes sure you end up with a left and right hand side
I did the window first because the wood is stronger at this stage .
Then cut the outside shape and clean up
Actually I found this out,by doing it the wrong way round the first time LOL:B
The truck sides are a little different,as there is a taper in the cabin,wide at the back.
This means the f&r cuts are at an angle so I cut them seperately a a bench saw,then I stuck together with tape and did the window on the scrollsaw(vary carefully)
Because I did each cut to both sides of the truck one after the other they both ended up the same but in reverse as needed.(I did 2 spares just encase I made a mistake)
Dont make one side then the other as seperate operations.It is almost impossable to get them the same.Everything that needs to be the same width in the truck have ready to cut.
The other Question-- make one and cut in half.I sort of do that with somethings but I have trouble getting them exactly the same thickness.Things like the grill I make thicker then cut down.I do this because if I wreck one side I have the other to work with.Things like tearout or other disasters
(So I would use cut to size material for cabin sides and stick them together)
Geez I ramble on like our pollies and you still don't get an answer you understand:oo::D

Yonnee
3rd July 2009, 06:04 PM
Clear as mud mate. :2tsup:

Looking good though, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm going to get stuck into one of these in the near future... when a few other started projects get done.:doh: Hopefully they turn out as good as yours.

wheelinround
3rd July 2009, 06:40 PM
going along nicely Ross must be APIA waiting for glue n finishes to dry and not creating further dust:roll:

ok sanding is it hand sanded or do you use palm sander etc

scotty60
3rd July 2009, 07:21 PM
They say you get better with age, looks like its true coming along nice.I went to bunnings today and brought a box of ca glue it called instant mitre fix, has a 50grm bottle of glue and a 200ml bottle of activator.Says its for wood,mdf,rubber,pvc and pvcu window frames for only $19.95 seems quit cheap will give it a try out to see how it works.

AUSSIE
3rd July 2009, 07:33 PM
HI Yonnee.
Thought it was like the Yarra:UYou said the same thing 12 monhs ago.Soon as you clear a few things up:roll::roll:

Clear as mud mate. :2tsup:

Looking good though, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm going to get stuck into one of these in the near future... when a few other started projects get done.:doh: Hopefully they turn out as good as yours.

going along nicely Ross must be APIA waiting for glue n finishes to dry and not creating further dust:roll:

ok sanding is it hand sanded or do you use palm sander etc
Hi Wheely,I dont wait long for the glue to dry at all really.I use CA and 5 Min epoxy.No PVA at all I have 3 different thicknesses of CA and activator along with the debonder.
The sanding is another story,it is APITA, .I don't own a palm sander.I have a disc/belt sander and a oscillating spindle sander (Triton) I do mosr of the rough sanding and shaping on them. I make up sticks with various grades of paper on them and also have a sheet of 400 oxide stuck to a bit of mdf to rub parts on.
ADDED I also use scrapers alot
The finish takes awhile to dry but not to bad.I put it on outside (in the garage) and then take inside in the warm:D:D
I put painted things in a clear bag tthing that came with a blanket in it.I have a wire frame in it to keep its shape.Put the parts in then zip it up.Most of the time no dust:;

Scotty showed up while I was writing this,so I added his bit OK.:D
Yeh I have that as well Cheap enough.I havent used the CA yet but use the activator.Not as good as mercury but OK
:D

They say you get better with age, looks like its true coming along nice.I went to bunnings today and brought a box of ca glue it called instant mitre fix, has a 50grm bottle of glue and a 200ml bottle of activator.Says its for wood,mdf,rubber,pvc and pvcu window frames for only $19.95 seems quit cheap will give it a try out to see how it works.

scotty60
3rd July 2009, 07:47 PM
went the other week to hobby shop but could find ca glue so ended up buying different thickness metal rods from 6mm down to .25 mm have tried to weld and brass and soldier with no success it says its music wire, so if im going o use on bike may have to use epoxy.

AUSSIE
3rd July 2009, 07:57 PM
went the other week to hobby shop but could find ca glue so ended up buying different thickness metal rods from 6mm down to .25 mm have tried to weld and brass and soldier with no success it says its music wire, so if im going o use on bike may have to use epoxy.
Scotty The music wire from the hobby shop is steel,but has a dark coating on it.If you use a fine abrasive and clean to bright steel it will solder ,weld etc okA hobby shop without CA??? Do they sell model planes?:2tsup:

scotty60
3rd July 2009, 08:04 PM
yeh , i looked right round shop he had some bottles but not what you say about different viscositys and activator,i meant to ask him he,may have been sold out.Thanks for the tip ill try to rub coating off see how i go.

munruben
4th July 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for answering my question (post #29) I think I understand what you mean and will bear what you said in mind for the future. :) Thanks Ross.:2tsup:

AUSSIE
4th July 2009, 05:25 PM
Here We Go Again Happy As Can Be:D:o
Made bits and pieces today,just for a change
Drilled holes on wheels to resemble wheel centre on front wheels.
Turned up rear wheel centres and drilled 5 holes as photos.Then turned dia to suit wheel centre.
Next I did the front and rear axle housings.Shaped the rear to resemble a diff centre,wll sort off:D
Used the router to round F&R housings.Sanded and wop by brush to get it thick and smooth.
Scrounging around I found a bit of thin Jarrah that wouls suit the rear bumper.
I marked it out and drilled holes for dowels to resemble tail lights and No.plate lights
Pushed in short bits of dowel and fed with thin CA.
I then used an 1/8" thick bit of mdf with same size holes as dowel.put over dowels and slid through the bandsaw.
On the back I put through the bandsaw and cut flush and sanded.The lights cant fall of as they are right through the bracket:; Cut to width required..
Started to make oval shape for front bumper mounting bolts.This will fall into place shortly.
While fiddling in the scrap bin,I thought I would make a towbar and ball.I was just in one of those moods I guess:doh:
Had a couple of goes at the ball size.May make another.They look the right size when making them,but look a bit big when cut off and put in bar.

wheelinround
4th July 2009, 05:46 PM
Aussie TY for the above info on how you clean up

I am not impressed you stooped so low as to use MDF :roll: searching for scraps in the waste bin well thats what its all about :U when I use WOP as brush on I use those disposable foam brushes which I toss the foam bit away and scrounge some scrap foam from LOML's off cuts glue or even use elastic bands to hold it on and toss it away when done:2tsup: you can make them to suit your needs that way

Billy
4th July 2009, 08:28 PM
noice work again Aussie:2tsup:, seeing how you made the wheel centres brought the light on in my brain, makes it clear when shown by others, good onya:D
my workshop spotless now, all organised:o. Will select next sawdust making project this week, Im thinking two old cars, one original one hotrodded and make them both at the same time.:cool: A mate just dropped off some nice red coloured aussie hardwood, might use some of that.:rolleyes:
cheers, billy:U

AUSSIE
4th July 2009, 09:09 PM
Billy Just For you Mate.I buy the standard rim from the USA and just drill the front ones and clean up with a dremal type tool
The back I make the insert as in pic I only have a very small lathe and cant make larger things. I am looking into that.Need More $$$ :C

scotty60
4th July 2009, 09:40 PM
Wheels come up great Aussie, the side of the truck looks great too(pic3)

AUSSIE
4th July 2009, 09:51 PM
Wheels come up great Aussie, the side of the truck looks great too(pic3)
Now you see it now you dont.Have you been drinking Scotty?I havent made a side yet,you know that:club::D

scotty60
4th July 2009, 10:02 PM
ive had a few scotch's that must be it :drink2: :tongueroll:

wheelinround
5th July 2009, 09:38 AM
noice work again Aussie:2tsup:, seeing how you made the wheel centres brought the light on in my brain, makes it clear when shown by others, good onya:D
my workshop spotless now, all organised:o. Will select next sawdust making project this week, Im thinking two old cars, one original one hotrodded and make them both at the same time.:cool: A mate just dropped off some nice red coloured aussie hardwood, might use some of that.:rolleyes:
cheers, billy:U

:)(:photo2: proof required

wheelinround
5th July 2009, 09:41 AM
Billy Just For you Mate.I buy the standard rim from the USA and just drill the front ones and clean up with a dremal type tool
The back I make the insert as in pic I only have a very small lathe and cant make larger things. I am looking into that.Need More $$$ :C

Aussie :roll: time to start making your own rims you have the gear and the know how.

Love that little lathe :U

AUSSIE
5th July 2009, 11:04 AM
Aussie :roll: time to start making your own rims you have the gear and the know how.

Love that little lathe :U
I am looking at getting a bigger Metal lathe and fitting a wood chuck and a set off jaws:2tsup:

Billy
5th July 2009, 01:33 PM
hiya wheelin':)
I know its hard to believe,:oo: my missus thought her car had been stolen but I'd actually put it in the garage for the first time in ages.:B
i'll get a couple of photos up when i get home tuesday:2tsup:
cheers, :D
dustbuster billy

Billy
7th July 2009, 11:32 AM
well it was tidy for a couple of days,:( but when I got home last night my neighbour came over with some oregon he needed cut,:doh: and he brought a couple of six packs too.:2tsup:
So, by the time we'd done the cutting and drunk the beers it was back to being messy.:no:
Took some photos anyway, hopefully they'll load ( haven't tried this before ):rolleyes:

Starting new project, this one will take a while, it's a glass top and sides coffee table, 1200 x 600, with a diarama of a '50's garage inside it. The cars are all 1/24 scale plastic kits. I'm making the table frame first, then over the next few months make the cars etc. put the glass on last. I'll see if I can upload photos as I go on the scale model sub forum. Will use ideas from the plastic models to make timber models.:?
cheers all, billy. here comes the sawdust:U

Billy
7th July 2009, 11:36 AM
ok that didn't work, I'll try it again110059

AUSSIE
7th July 2009, 09:18 PM
I have had a weekend off,sort off.
Today I have put up some photos I should have put up earlier and try to catch the WIP
to where it is .The chassis is mainly strips of Jarrah.The front solid section is cyprus pine,just because I had it.Nothing much in making chassis.It is in its rough stage at the moment.I have temp fitted most of the parts and next will clean them up for final assembly.
There is a pic of unpainted wheels to make it clearer on what is needed.
The bonnet and grill sitting in place.All just to see if they fit OK,before puting away safely till needed.
Hope this helps.Should be a bit of progress tomorrow if all goes well:2tsup:

scotty60
7th July 2009, 09:51 PM
taking shape looking great, whats the grey on the tyres and what are you going to finish them with Aussie

AUSSIE
7th July 2009, 10:11 PM
taking shape looking great, whats the grey on the tyres and what are you going to finish them with Aussie
I was thinking Mat grey with another coat was good for tyres and top coat of satan estapol.to help it last.Black looks a bit harsh I thought.What are your suggestions?

scotty60
7th July 2009, 10:18 PM
not to sure , maybe a darker grey not quite black.Think need to have it all together to get overall look of vehicle will help decide.Maybe even a darker stain of reddy brown darker than the jarrah might look good.

Billy
7th July 2009, 10:45 PM
hi aussie,:) I use " black japan" stain on my tyres, not too black, even a bit see through so might not cover the grey.:? Thats a nice finish on the bonnet, very shiny, what did you use there?:rolleyes:
cheers,
billy, dust connosieur:C

AUSSIE
7th July 2009, 11:28 PM
I have made the wheels removable.Might wait till I assemble it to see what it looks like.
The bonnet is coated with wipe on poly as is the rest of the body.I dont know if I mentioned it,but I use micromesh to get the required finish on the WOP anything from mat to a full gloss.Good stuff MM.

scotty60
8th July 2009, 12:32 AM
i tried wipe on poly on 1 of hotrods but wasnt impressed with it,must have done it wrong yours looks good as far as i can see i the picture.

LiliB
8th July 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi Aussie
I must have been sleeping, because I've logged in a couple of times in the past months and haven't caught up with this thread.

The model A truck is coming along a treat. You're working very fast, and the results are beautiful. I especially like the grille, which when done in timber looks really stylish.
You're very well organised, and are patient enough to get lots of pieces finished, before assembly. I think that might be one of the keys to your overall consistent and lovely finish.

I've got mixed feelings about showing the thread to Dave, because he has the same plan, and I really want him to do his without being influenced by how others have done it. But the stages being described are marvellous reading, and I'm sure I'll weaken and show him.

He's currently finalising a bi-plane, and then will get back to the cars and trucks. I must say that the jarrah comes up so warmly when done in wop, that it makes me want to go out and get some. But to be practical, we really should stick to red gum which is available both in rough sawn and kiln dried, and is also rather richly coloured.

But the next one we do, will have to have a sharper finish, more in line with what you're producing. I want to experiment with an idea I read about, which suggests use gloss as your base, and then multiple layers of satin poly, to achieve a really deep finish. We'll see if I'm good enough to achieve it.

Will post the red baron's (red) plane shortly. Keep up the good work on the thread. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

Billy
8th July 2009, 06:05 PM
Hi y'all,:U
what is wipe-on-poly?:?
haven't heard of it before this thread:doh:
Although I did wonder what WOP meant in earlier posts.:rolleyes:
Truck lookin' good Aussie:aussie5:
cheers, Billy.:D
did I mention the sawdust?:2tsup:

scotty60
8th July 2009, 07:39 PM
its just a single pack polyurathane you wipe it on let it dry,Ive only used once will give it another go.You can buy from bunnings in paint department.

AUSSIE
8th July 2009, 08:14 PM
HERE (http://www.minwax.com/products/oil_based_clear_protective_finishes/wipe_on_poly.html) for WOP.Billy
I use it because I find it is OK for a Lazy person like me.I end up with a good finish and do it in between other jobs,so doesnt take me long.If you go back through the photos of my car WIP you will notice the poly is on finished parts as soon as I can get it on,then later it gets more coats etc.I probably dont do it as in directions.I put alot on first up using a rag or brush.What ever is around really.I put as much on as the wood will hold without running.Maybe a couple of days later I will give it a rub nearly down to the wood.Alot of the grain is filled by now/From now on like wheely said put it on with a bit of foam or a foam brush,enough that it is a smooth coat.try not to brush it out as it will leave marks.I then use Micro mesh to get the finish It doesnt seem to take me long and not much mess.I chuck the bits of foam and rag in the bin,so not much cleaning.On soft wood I use a wattle sanding sealer to fill the grain,maybe 2 coats with a good rub inbetween then only a wipe of poly ,it looks as sommth as laminex.I have done boxes with it and you have to be carefull holding them/.I will post a photo of one shortly.In a few minutes maybe
Here we go.Dont laugh at the boxThis is the only one I still have.One f the first I built.
I must get back to my truck.I am hijacking my own thread I think??

AUSSIE
8th July 2009, 09:21 PM
Started on the Tray.I had all the strips cut ,I only had to cut to length for the different bits of the tray.
Then slotted the tray side rim bits to take stakes.see photos.Did this on the router table
For the tray base I cut a piece of Tas Oak to size and thickness.
I then started to stick thin strips of various timber on the Tas Oak to resemble the boards on the tray.I will have more photos tomorrow of the tray.Well I hope I will.:2tsup:

Billy
8th July 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Aussie,:) thats great info, :Usorry to keep asking questions but do you use the oil or water based one?

cheers, billy:fireman:

p.s. will it work on sawdust?:club:

AUSSIE
8th July 2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks Aussie,:) thats great info, :Usorry to keep asking questions but do you use the oil or water based one?

cheers, billy:fireman:

p.s. will it work on sawdust?:club:
Hi Billy.
I use oil based.I havent seen water based in Bunnys yet.
PS allright,works on sawdust,bald heads,and car windscreens but dont get caught doing it.especially if the sawdust gets into the polly container.:doh::o:oo::D

artme
10th July 2009, 08:10 PM
Everything is coming along nicely Aussie. And your explanations are great too.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

When do we see the completed item??

AUSSIE
10th July 2009, 08:43 PM
Not too far away now Arthur.I have been slacking on it for a few days:DI see you are a good friend of a friend of mine:2tsup:

AUSSIE
11th July 2009, 06:09 AM
A Bit More Work On The Tray.
I started to stick the thin strips of timber on the Tas Oak using medium CA and no gloves.I used medium because it gave me time to move the strips.The strips could have been cut better,but they are about as good as I can get on my little saw at the moment.
No photos till all the strips were glued on.I decided I didnt want CA all over my camera.
Because I never put my gloves on,my hands were rather messy.
I gave the tray a quick rub over and mixed some epoxy resin and sawdust to fill the bad bits.It went dark.Ithought it would dry lighter,but no.Well you learn as you go I told myself:o.
I cleaned my hands a bit and took some photos:2tsup:
Sanded around the edges getting it ready to glue the 4 square Jarrah stripsaround it.
Next was another rub with about 250 paper on a wood block to get a flatter surface.Plenty of poly on boards now.Being a ruffed surface it soaked up the poly so I put more on then let dry
A final edge sand and started glueing the side strips.When done the whole top surface was sanded(and sanded) filled and sanded:C.Some poly ,let dry and sand.

Black Bear
11th July 2009, 09:54 AM
Why can't you dig half a hole? you ask You can, its called a trench.

And what does a rabbit do with all the dirt from their burrows...they dig a hole and bury it....So I am told.

I love the well built toys shown here.

wheelinround
11th July 2009, 10:41 AM
Aussie has feinds ooopps I mean friends :D

Looking tops Ross :2tsup: bet that had you board, how'd you cope with the edges, and bearing in mind we are all waiting to see it finished. :q

munruben
11th July 2009, 10:47 AM
Wow, thats a great transformation of a piece of timber Ross. Looks magnificent.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

AUSSIE
11th July 2009, 06:02 PM
Aussie has feinds ooopps I mean friends :D

Looking tops Ross :2tsup: bet that had you board, how'd you cope with the edges, and bearing in mind we are all waiting to see it finished. :q
It might take a bit longer to finish now Wheely.:D I can do alot of things,but 2 things I am no good at are typing and spelling.You must have been quick to pick up some of them mistooks:BNotice I don't use colored typing that colorblind people cant read though:blahblue:
What is John on about? Does he know something we don't know?:roflmao::roflmao2::yippy::ranting2:

wheelinround
11th July 2009, 06:29 PM
It might take a bit longer to finish now Wheely.:D I can do alot of things,but 2 things I am no good at are typing and spelling.You must have been quick to pick up some of them mistooks:BNotice I don't use colored typing that colorblind people cant read though:blahblue:
What is John on about? Does he know something we don't know?:roflmao::roflmao2::yippy::ranting2:

:no: I reckon you both know the same :D:q

Spelling mistakes nope I was implying to the Copping for the edges Boards for the floor and bearers :U

Billy
11th July 2009, 09:10 PM
I habnt moticed ally spilling mistooks:)

wharf ar yoo on abit:oo:

Ids uk, we no wat ur on aboot:2tsup:

chairs, bolly:doh:

AUSSIE
11th July 2009, 09:59 PM
Didn't do much today.
I am putting up some pics of the mounting of the tray and also the stake sides that I made in between times when I was waiting for epoxy or just fooling around
I will also mention a mag I just got in the paper shop for Bully or is that Billy) and Scotty .It is called EssentialTechniques for the Model builder .3full pages on glues from page 78.
resin casting on page 18.
And 2 articals on airbrushing $12.95.
I have no connection.Just thought it was worth you having a look(take page numbers with you.:o

Billy
13th July 2009, 10:05 PM
will see if the local newsagent has that mag.:)

They have a few woody type magazines there.:D

Cheers,

Billy:fireman:

ps, truck lookin good:2tsup:

AUSSIE
14th July 2009, 09:00 PM
Started to clean up some ugly bits,ready for final assembly.Under the tray was a bit rough to say the least,so a good rub and a coat of poly.
The other pic is of 2 oval bits that will be for the front bumper.They are only about 1 cm long >not quite finished but getting close

munruben
15th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Keep those pics coming Ross. Love it.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

AUSSIE
19th July 2009, 05:20 PM
I dummied it up today to get an idea of what needs fixing or making better.
I put some spoked wheels on (unpainted and bought for another project) I think they will look better than the heavy looking truck wheels that are suggested.
Can you give me a bit of feedback please.
I have made the truck in a way that I can remove them and swap at anytime.The tray is removable also.I have ideas for different backs to go on the cab/chassis.If they look OK I would then make a new cab etc to go with the backs.
Don't forget the feedback about the wheels:roll:

thumpergman
19th July 2009, 07:07 PM
yep the spoke wheels go very well with the truck

scotty60
19th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Looking fantasic Aussie, i think the spokes look better but still want to see a better shot with other wheels.

Ruddy
19th July 2009, 09:35 PM
Aussie... The spokes........

Ruddy

AUSSIE
19th July 2009, 10:01 PM
I have posted a couple of photos for Scotty.I think the Spokes win.Will see how it goes through tomorrow.I am busy all day tomorrow:2tsup:

scotty60
19th July 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeh spokes are the way to go :2tsup:

wheelinround
20th July 2009, 08:47 AM
It looks like a real farm truck there Ross an assortment of wheels and one leaning beside it:;

munruben
20th July 2009, 10:38 AM
Excellent, absolutely excellent:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Boxmaker
22nd July 2009, 10:15 PM
Doing a great job Aussie.I also think the spoke wheels look great:2tsup:

Billy
23rd July 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Aussie,:) definitely the spokes I think, looks a bit more old/authentic with them on.:2tsup: Maybe keep the other wheels for a 50's/60's type truck/ute/pickup.:rolleyes:
lookin good:D
cheers. billy:fireman:

AUSSIE
24th July 2009, 02:26 AM
Hi Aussie,:) definitely the spokes I think, looks a bit more old/authentic with them on.:2tsup: Maybe keep the other wheels for a 50's/60's type truck/ute/pickup.:rolleyes:
lookin good:D
cheers. billy:fireman:
Spokes it is guys.I have the 6 off them dissasembled and have started their trip down the truck assembly line.:D
It has been a bit cold to do too much woodwork.
I have made a new rear axle housing to suit the spoked wheels.
As soon as I get the wheels and axle ready to fit I will post some photos:2tsup:

AUSSIE
24th July 2009, 10:43 PM
Today I started painting the axle housing and the wheel parts.
Fooled around with rear bumper.They should be ready to fit tomorrow with any luck.:2tsup:
Getting close to the party now:D

wheelinround
25th July 2009, 09:31 AM
Look good Ross :2tsup:

Henry would have sacked you though taking to long to build his trucks:D:q

munruben
25th July 2009, 09:47 AM
Wheels look terrific Ross. Did you do the spokes on your jig?

AUSSIE
2nd August 2009, 03:30 AM
New wheels Fitted Now
I am back.It seems ages.Well it has been.
I have finally fitted the spoked wheels and rear axle.I am also working an another rear axle ,as I am not happy with the current one.
I have glued the front and rear bumpers on.You cant see the rear yet as it is fitted to the tray.I dropped the tray and it has a couple of dents.
After wiping away a little tear I thought what the heck it could get a dent like that at anytime.
Only some minor things to do now but they take time,then a good cleanup
I don't seem to be able to get enough spare time at the moment:~
PS To Munruben,I didn't do the spokes on my jig,I have had these wheels for awhile now so I am using them.
I could easily make the spoke and hub setup now.The rim has me now got me beat.I only have a little metal jewelers lathe and the chuck wont hold wood very well.
I am thinking of getting another metal lathe and make an adapter to take a wood chuck and the tool rest(or what ever you call that bit.:U
I need a metal lathe so that might be the answer.:2tsup:

scotty60
2nd August 2009, 03:50 AM
Looking great Aussie, cant wait to see it finished. :2tsup:

AUSSIE
2nd August 2009, 03:57 AM
Looking great Aussie, cant wait to see it finished. :2tsup:
Why aren't you in bed asleep it is nearly 3.00 AM:2tsup:

scotty60
2nd August 2009, 04:02 AM
i know going soon :sleep6:

Yonnee
2nd August 2009, 11:43 AM
Why aren't you in bed asleep it is nearly 3.00 AM:2tsup:

And it's not in Geelong!!??

AUSSIE
2nd August 2009, 11:48 AM
And it's not in Geelong!!??
ERRRH yes the same time.:;:roll:

Yonnee
2nd August 2009, 11:57 AM
I don't seem to be able to get enough spare time at the moment:~

And yet you've nearly finished??

Looks awesome, as usual.

Looks a bit like a "Rat Rod" without the tray, and the larger wheels decrease the gap in the front guards, making it look heaps lower.

munruben
3rd August 2009, 11:15 AM
Love it Ross and the tow bar just adds great authenticity to it. I almost feel like I could jump in it an drive it away. Great work as always.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: