PDA

View Full Version : First bowl

rustydog
24th June 2009, 04:55 PM
I have been reading and looking a lot and turned a few pegs and such before finally having a go at a bowl. This is one of the first 2 or 3 and was turned from a fairly green wattle that was threatening my shed. I have not used any finish except some sanding and polishing with shavings and the rings are friction burns using offcuts from the same stump. The base is embellished with leather and some pyrography. I know its rough but I kind of like a raw look - at least thats my excuse so far:B This is my first attempt at posting to a forum as well so please excuse any ineptitude.I guess I am looking for comments and advice. I will put up some other efforts if anyone seems interested.

jackliveshere
24th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Rustydog - bowl looks good mate! Has the green wattle warped at all as it's been drying out? I've just got into bowl turning myself and find it quite a rewarding process taking a fresh piece of wood and turning it into something as functional as a bowl.

Welcome to the forum and definitely keep posting your work :2tsup:

Cheers,

Will

rustydog
24th June 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Will, There was a little warping to a slight oval- 13cm diameter at narrowest and 13.5cm the other. I may have tried some microwave drying on his one. So far there are no cracks. The wall is about 8 mm thick.I find that so far every bowl is unique and seems to control me rather than the other way around.

bowl-basher
24th June 2009, 05:39 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Great work Will
welcome to the vortex there is no turning back now after that first bowl it is all down hill from here:U:U:U
I wish my first attempts had been that good so keep em coming
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Ad de Crom
24th June 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Rustydog, good looking bowl mate, the same shape as my first turned bowl.
I struggled than with the transition at the foot of the bowl, I see the same with your bowl. This is my only humble comment.You are on the right track.
Great job.
Ad :2tsup:

rustydog
24th June 2009, 06:34 PM
OK well its good to have some feedback so here are some more all done with bits of wood scavanged from my land - I have a few acres

jefferson
24th June 2009, 06:45 PM
Rusty - nice going so far.

I notice in the second last pic that you seem to have 4 feet on the little bowl. Ken W says 3 only, just in case the wood moves.

Keep at it, the timber looks nice.

Jeff

rustydog
24th June 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks Jeff,
It does only have 3 feet for exactly that reason. Just the angle on the photo showing 2 of the 3 feet. This was also from a fairly green stump of wattle so expecting warping.

artme
24th June 2009, 08:10 PM
G'day RD. You have, in the words of Jack Gibson, "Played strong, done fine".

Keep at it.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

terry arnold
24th June 2009, 08:23 PM
I'm about to have a go at my first bowl so I hope it turns out as good.

Keep it up

Cheers Terry

Ed Reiss
24th June 2009, 10:29 PM
A damn fine start....just gets better from here :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
24th June 2009, 10:52 PM
rustydog
nice work
is that a little spalting I see in the first piccy?
was wondering whether some of his dictatorship's shellawax might bring out the grain and figure a bit more?

A trick used in furniture restoration is to wet the wood with metho to get an idea of what a finish might look like when applied

munruben
25th June 2009, 10:20 AM
Nice work Rustydog and well photographed too. Keep up the good work.:2tsup:

orraloon
25th June 2009, 12:37 PM
Rustydog,
You are off to a very good start. You have a good eye for shape and form. Usually first bowls (myself included) are are like ashtrays or dog bowls. Keep turning them out.
Regards
John