PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 7 July 04

Ralph Jones
7th July 2004, 09:46 PM
Good Evening Friends,
When you rabbet the top and back side of a board 3/8" x 1/2", then flip the board 180 degrees and do the same on the back side of that edge you are doing what to the board? There is a name for this process.

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
7th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Fixing your mistake.

P

Bob Willson
8th July 2004, 05:58 AM
Shiplapping.

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 06:50 PM
Tongue.
Ill give you one thing Ralphy, you dont give in easily.:D
All the these uncouth bruteish Aussies give you, and you keep comeing back for more. ;)

Al :)

bitingmidge
8th July 2004, 09:46 PM
:eek:

Ralph, don't listen to him!!!!! All this time I thought it was YOU giving US a hard time!!
:D :D :D

Warmest Regards,

P

Ralph Jones
8th July 2004, 09:51 PM
Good Evening Friends,
The correct answer was installed by Bob Wilson as it is indeed shiplap.
The reason they called it ship lap was because that is the way they used to install the wood on the ships for better seal and they would use wooden nails called "trunnels" because when they got wet they would swell and hold the boards in place.

Thank you for your compliment Al.

bitingmidge
8th July 2004, 09:52 PM
Actually another quiz of sorts for Ralph, if I may be so bold:

Ralph,

Could you please use your new-found metric conversion skills and let me know, what is the closest US size to A3?

With the international standard paper system we typically use A4 as the standard letter size and it is a little larger than "US letter".

The A series is cunningly contrived so that starting with A0, if you halve the size of the sheet you get the next size down (A1) and so on...

This gives a convenient way of figuring paper sizes, and A3 is the standard format for larger documents (like small drawings etc). It is a standard size for photocopiers and ink-jet printers.

If I was to publish drawings to roughly double letter size, what would be the standard in the USA?

Thanks,

P

Ralph Jones
8th July 2004, 10:12 PM
Good Evening bitingmidge,
I'm afraid you have me on this one, as I could not find the conversion for fonts or paper size in the conversion charts.
But, it is a very interesting question. I have always been a person who enjoys a challenge. Though this one has me stumped as I am not a printer.

DavidG
8th July 2004, 10:23 PM
A3 297 / 420 in imperial is 11.6" / 16.5"
Letter is 8.5" / 11"

US B is 11" / 17"
That is as close as I can find.

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 02:50 PM
Bonjoure Midge.

I dont know the size of a USA letter, but I do know the size of a French one. :D
Tight. :eek:

Al

silentC
9th July 2004, 03:16 PM
Tight

Braggart :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 03:22 PM
I've found the same....can't get them past my ears.....

P

silentC
9th July 2004, 03:25 PM
I bet you do a great Elephant Man impression :D

RETIRED
9th July 2004, 04:32 PM
Now, now boys!!! :D

silentC
9th July 2004, 04:36 PM
We used to have a mate whose nickname was "The Great White Elephant", or sometimes "Dumbo". When he'd had a few, he'd go up to a girl and ask "have you ever seen a white elephant?" Then he'd turn his trouser pockets inside out, undo his fly, and... well you get the picture. Great party trick.

hexbaz
12th July 2004, 05:19 AM
... The A series is cunningly contrived so that starting with A0, if you halve the size of the sheet you get the next size down (A1) and so on...I'm sure you already know this, but as a matter of minor interest, there is another cunning thing about the A paper series.... A0 has an area of 1 square metre (making A4 a sixteenth of a square metre).

The real clever bit, as you say, is its aspect ratio - merely by folding A3 in half, you get to A4. Hence the weird dimensions, which make no real sense at first glance (A4 = approx. 297mm x 210mm). The aspect ratio that enables this minor miracle is 1.414:1 (square root of 2). So A3 is 420x297, etc...

Folding American paper sizes in half produces a completely different aspect ratio, making photo-reduction very difficult.:cool:

Ivan in Oz
13th July 2004, 01:35 PM
G'Day Ppl,
A3 297x420
A4 210x297
Legal 216x356
Executive 184x267

The measurements are mms not inches.
I do not know what the French letter is in; mm,inches, :o :eek:

Count

ozwinner
13th July 2004, 02:07 PM