PDA

View Full Version : New Scroll Saw

tizer
7th July 2004, 10:53 PM
I am looking at making wooden gear clocks and will be requiring a scroll saw to assist me with my task. My budget could be around $300-$400, I will be using it for long periods of time, so it will need to be comfortable to use with very low vibration. the timber will be hardwood so it will also need to be rebust.
Can anyone suggest which make and model I should be looking at?

Thanks

Sprog
8th July 2004, 12:38 AM
I am looking at making wooden gear clocks and will be requiring a scroll saw to assist me with my task. My budget could be around $300-$400, I will be using it for long periods of time, so it will need to be comfortable to use with very low vibration. the timber will be hardwood so it will also need to be rebust.
Can anyone suggest which make and model I should be looking at?

Thanks

DELTA 16 INCH VARIABLE SPEED SCROLL SAW - DE-40-540 $299 from CarbatecWA
Very smooth with easy blade changing, you will appreciate this if you are cutting lots of internal holes where the blade needs re-threading for each hole.

Link to CarbatecWA (http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/)

Navigate to their scroll saw page or search for scroll saw

Ask if you can try one out before you buy then you will know if it is for you.

Iain
8th July 2004, 09:37 AM
The Makita is also a viable option with as many features as the Delta, bit cheaper as I recall.

DavidW
8th July 2004, 11:47 AM
I have the Delta and highly recomend it for the same reason as sprog.

I bought a Carba-tec saw at first and it was great for jigsaws etc but I was making a chess set for my daughter and it couldn't cope with the 3D scrolling required. The Delta handled the job easily.

The only negative is the lack of dust extracion which the Carba-tec has.

fxst
8th July 2004, 07:26 PM
to cut the gears for my wooden clock I bought and used a gmc with no probs but for the escarpment etc I used the vari speed makita ....not as much vibration....now my wife uses it and I use a better saw ...... I used aussie oak for the gears and the gmc worked thru it no probs