PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Forms

Fredo
27th June 2009, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

Here are some hollow forms I made recently, and this is the first time I've tried them with a very small foot. At around 25mm, this makes them a little unstable, but I do like the look. Two are made from ambrosia maple and one each from walnut and ash (I like the maple best). Wall thickness for all is around 3-4mm, a little thicker towards the base. The maple and ash stand around 240mm by 140mm. The walnut is a little shorter around 220mm by 140mm and the foot slightly larger, about 30mm. All are hollowed through a 30mm hole, rough turned inside, no sanding. These were test pieces for the latest mod to my hollowing tool. Don't have pics of the tool, will take some and post today.

What do you think?

Fredo :)

Texian
27th June 2009, 11:41 AM
Beautiful work Fredo, but would you believe that the foot size is actually too small? Just one person's opinion though. YMMV.

Ed Reiss
27th June 2009, 12:01 PM
Nice set of vases Fredo...ain't they fun to make?:cool:

Jim Carroll
27th June 2009, 06:05 PM
Like the form of the second from the left, the others look like they lost their form somewhere, too tall for their diameter.

Ad de Crom
27th June 2009, 06:49 PM
Fredo, good job.
In my opinion the foot is to small, easely to tip over. But you saw that by yourself.
The second hollow form from the left is the best shaped hollow form.
Me is told keep the diameter of the foot on about 1/3 of the largest diameter, for the right proportion. Unwritten rule.
Ad :2tsup:

orificiam
27th June 2009, 07:41 PM
Good Job Fredo I like them all, yes they would look better with wider foot.but hey if you like them..that all that matters.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

jefferson
27th June 2009, 07:41 PM
Nice chisel work there, but as the guys have said, the base seems to me to be undersize. (All this feedback coming from a novice.) Also, the lip decoration on the rims seems too indistinct. I prefer no 1 instead of 2 which is half-way there.

How thin are the pieces BTW? I can see some more purchases coming soon....

Jeff

Fredo
27th June 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks Gentlemen for the feedback. It appears the consensus of opinion is a larger foot is required, which in this case would change the whole design. A little more background to these forms - the two maple forms were drawn up in Creative Woodturner (Graphics Program), the shape manipulated with a copy of the final design printed off. So a plan was set before they were turned. The two maple HF's have lived on a shelf in my family room for several weeks at exactly eye level and I have really grown to like the shape. The ash and walnut HF's were turned with no set plan. I like to experiment. I value the views of other turners and I will certainly take all advice and suggestions on board, it's good to get this feedback and hear everyones thoughts. Thanks again.

Have pics of my hollowing tool, will post them tomorrow.

Fred :U

rsser
27th June 2009, 09:38 PM
Wot Jim said.

I like the more distinct acorn shape and the collar looks like it belongs.

artme
27th June 2009, 10:36 PM
Great turning Fredo!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Agree with others on the form.

Harry72
28th June 2009, 01:58 AM
Nice work Fredo.
With that form/shape I'd be inclined to finish them to a point then make a stand/base for them to sit on.
Photo #4 would be cool if you could make the bottom point from polished aluminium and the top collar as well, then a nice long 3 legged stand using a combination of the metal and wood, we'll call it Flash Gordon look with a splash of art deco!:D

Fredo
28th June 2009, 10:55 AM
Morning everyone
Here are some pics of my Hollowing Tool, it's a cross between an elbow tool and a Vicmarc tool, it has gone through many changes and this version is MK IV. The base support is a standard trailer axle and hub, the articulated arm pivot points are taper roller bearings loaded against each other (wheel bearing style). I have changed to the Vern (Titt) forward mount style tool arm, which feels much more natural to use like a standard turning tool. The tool is quite heavy duty and very rigid. I use a three roller steady on the turning. A laser guide is also a big advantage.

Pic 1 - is the overall tool mounted on the lathe.
Pic 2 - is a 25ml dia shaft drilled in three positions for a 6mm HSS cutter.
Pic 3 - is the second shaft with a Pro-Forme cutter head.
Pic 4 - is the second shaft with a 6mm HSS cutter and articulated link, which the Pro-Forme will also mount to, the small shaft (lower right of pic) is for holding the high speed steel cutter to sharpen in my Uni-jig.
Pic 5 - bearing pivots and arms
Pic 6 - 3 roller steady

Fredo
28th June 2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah ..... Yeah .... that's it Harry ... Flash Gordon - LOL ...I like it - I'll get on that right away. :; :D

Fredo :U

RufflyRustic
28th June 2009, 01:09 PM
Fredo,

I see what you mean by the design growing on you.

I like the walnut vase the best, closely followed by the third vase. This is due to the shape of the vase echoing the grain line. I'm unsure about a base, as it could detract so much from the look and feel of the vases. On the other hand, the right base or stand could make the vase doubly impressive, eg I'm imaging one of our Forum Sculptor's figures holding one of your vases :)

cheers
Wendy

Texian
28th June 2009, 01:29 PM
Fredo, Great looking hollowing tool. Looks much sturdier than mine.

Fredo
28th June 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Richard,

Yeah, I've been working on this thing on and off for a couple of years and now I think it's quite a usable weapon.

Fredo :)

Harry72
28th June 2009, 07:21 PM
Dam that's a nice set up... Go Flash Gordon:D