PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing crafting floss?

Farrix
27th June 2009, 02:06 PM
This is gonna seem like an odd question, but i'm wraping a cane with about 60ft of braided embroidery floss and i was wondering if there was anything i could spray on it to make it a bit more enduring to the outdoors, i'm leaving it removable so i will be able to pillow case and wash it, but I'm having serious trouble finding a spray or something to get it with while preserving the color and UV responsivness, my only thought was scotchg but it seems to make the floss bleed mildly

fudo133
23rd November 2012, 11:59 PM
This is gonna seem like an odd question, but i'm wraping a cane with about 60ft of braided embroidery floss and i was wondering if there was anything i could spray on it to make it a bit more enduring to the outdoors, i'm leaving it removable so i will be able to pillow case and wash it, but I'm having serious trouble finding a spray or something to get it with while preserving the color and UV responsivness, my only thought was scotchg but it seems to make the floss bleed mildly
the only thing i seem to recall reading about waterproofing floss was running it through wax as you're using it? Short of that, perhaps you could spray on some sort of waterproof resin or something with an airbrush or something?

bsg
24th November 2012, 09:41 PM
Google "Fishing rod building"
when building fishing rods the guides are wrapped usually in a polyester thread but they can be wrapped in cotton and then coated in a colour preserver that seals the colour and stops the thread darkening when coated in epoxy. It also has UV stabilizers in it. I'd coat it in th colour preserver then a thinned down epoxy and leave it on the cane.
I know it's a fishing rod but have a look at this it might help.
http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/Grip%20&%20Handle%20Tutorials/Cord%20Grips%20and%20Handles.pdf

Brett

gyropilot
28th November 2012, 11:10 AM
Floss that is already waxed and will withstand the outdoors, was used by PMG/Telstra and was called "Lacing Thread" if you can find an exployee (or former employee) that has some, ask. It came in rolls and 60 feet is a small amount... ask around...

Geoff