PDA

View Full Version : Dust masks

bellyup
27th June 2009, 02:16 PM
Mornin' all,
Could anyone share their experiences with powered dust masks or the Purelite faceshield mask thingy.
I'm getting tired of coughing up dustballs - those little white face masks don't do alot.

Carbatec have the "economy" powered face mask at $165 while the Purelite number comes in at $675 :C
Thanks guys

Gil Jones
27th June 2009, 02:49 PM
For a reasonable cost, the dual, screw-in cartridge respirator is a good choice for protecting your lungs, and I do use mine when the Trend AirShield batteries are dead before I am ready to quit for the day. My first choice is the Trend AirShield for tool grinding, sawing, turning, sanding.... well, any work that generates "dust". It is not any good for spray painting [organic vapors], but the above-mentioned respirator can be fitted with cartridges to handle painting vapors. The Trend Air Shield is a bit pricey, but it is cheap compared to emphysema.

Woodwould
27th June 2009, 02:56 PM
I've got a head like an anvil and none of the run-of-the mill helmet/visor thingies come close to fitting me. As for the disposable paper face masks - pah! They either cover the end of my nose or my mouth and chin, but not both.

The only thing I've found that works for me (other than looking like a western stagecoach bandit) is one of the Dust Bee Gone face masks (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144822&product_id=1107452751) from Jim Carroll. I bought the X-large (no surprise there) and it fits snugly, yet I can still chin-wag without pulling it down off my nose. They're washable and capable of filtering out everything my lathe/belt sander can produce.

Sir Stinkalot
27th June 2009, 03:04 PM
Woodwould .... do you find that the Dust Be Gone are suitable for the fine sanding tasks? I have the Triton helmet but just find it far too bulky, too low air flow and a pain to get on and off. It might be ok standing at the lathe not moving much but when you are moving around, up and down it becomes a pain.

User reviews of the Dust Be Gone paint a good picture however I would be looking at using it for fine sanding dust, not just turning and sawing chips.

bellyup
27th June 2009, 03:54 PM
Woodwould,
I've heard of those things - how are they with protective goggles and condensation?
Also have you found anything that reduces static attraction of dust to safety glasses?
Thanks, Bruce.

rsser
27th June 2009, 05:11 PM
I use a Trend Airshield and find it easy to work while wearing it. Almost don't know it's there.

It's a plus having a faceshield for a second sort of protection. In any case with a beard ordinary masks or respirators leak through the hair.

gtwilkins
27th June 2009, 05:25 PM
Bruce,

Best thing I have found for static on my specs and face shield is to give them a wipe with the used anti- static cling sheets that my missus uses in the clothes dryer. They need to have gone thru the dryer or they leave a sticky film on your specs.

Also work on the computer monitor and TV screen.

They also work well on thread when you are sewing, pull the thread thru the cloth and it stops the thread from getting tangled up.

Trevor

Woodwould
27th June 2009, 06:57 PM
Woodwould .... do you find that the Dust Be Gone are suitable for the fine sanding tasks?
Yes, last weekend I was sanding some Ash down to 400 grit while wearing the Dust Bee Gone and I didn't end up with the usual white ring around my lips.

Woodwould,
I've heard of those things - how are they with protective goggles and condensation?
Also have you found anything that reduces static attraction of dust to safety glasses?
Thanks, Bruce.

They're designed to be worn with glasses (which I wear) and I don't have a problem with them while wearing the mask.

I also use the anti-static tumble dryer sheets for keeping the glasses clear. Mrs. Woodwould has a pump bottle of anti-static 'stuff' for preventing certain clothes from clinging which works well too when sprayed on a tissue and wiped on the lenses.

jefferson
27th June 2009, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't bother with the Triton hat - the perspec shield isn't quite right (at least on mine) and distorts the view.

Jeff

bellyup
27th June 2009, 08:02 PM
G'day Trevor,

Sounds like you're a handy bloke to have around - how's your cross stitch going?
Thanks for the tip about the clothes dryer strips.

Ern, is the trend airshield similar to the Purelite / $ ? Who might sell them?

Gil, thanks for the advice about the cartridge respirator but for the most part of the year it would be just too hot to wear our here (Broken Hill is in the outback and our summer temp. gets to over 50 deg.C./120 F.)
Appreciate the help,
Regards,
Bruce.

INVENTOR
28th June 2009, 10:05 AM
Bruce, while the Dust bee gone masks have good benefits over some of the others they are not 'perfect' for fine dust. IMO. I have used mine for years but generally only for light work. By comparison I use my air powered helmet for almost everthing. Do your self a favour and think about using one.

Sawdust Maker
28th June 2009, 10:35 PM
I like the triton but mainly for router work - rarely use it at the lathe - the fit isn't right for my head (the adjuster knobby thing digs into the back of my head (my shield doesn't distort though) - I tend to use the dual, screw-in cartridge respirator

I've wondered about the trend but would like to try one for a couple of hours before buying and there seems to be a reluctance from the purveyors of such to loan them :doh:

soundman
28th June 2009, 11:43 PM
I did some work the other day on the lathe without my usual dust extractor going....now I understand why so many bloke want some sort of respirator.

Decided not to be slack and hook up the dust extractor..all good no fine dust.

I simply hook the 4" dust extractor hose into a hook on the tool post.....It mught not capture all the bug chips but all the fine dust goes down the hose......I can watch it come of the sandpaper and go down the spout.

cheers

Ed Reiss
29th June 2009, 02:44 AM
Carbatec have the "economy" powered face mask at $165 while the Purelite number comes in at $675 :C

The $675 might seem like a high number, but compare that to the price later on in life if you have to walk around everywhere with an oxygen bottle :C