PDA

View Full Version : First attempts at turning bowls

redgum
27th June 2009, 04:04 PM
Just a couple of pictures of my first trys at turning bowls using and old "Porsche" lathe (all pressed metal and very out of line).Ive only been at it for about a month and realy loving it, I'm hooked. I have now purchased a Leda WL-1100V which should make for more accurate turning. I put a thread in earlier asking for ideas for tool storage so if anyone can provide some ideas it would be much appreciated.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2009, 04:08 PM
You're getting a nice finish on them. I may have to pinch the shape of the middle one...

Good move going to the Leda, it'll make a big difference! :2tsup:

wheelinround
27th June 2009, 04:14 PM
Your bowls look brilliant even the one with voids

as for Skew's comment on a better lathe :roll: his latest boo boo seems can happen on a better lathe also :;

hughie
27th June 2009, 04:48 PM
:2tsup:

jefferson
27th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Like Skew, I like the middle one. Please tell us all the dimensions and finish!

Jeff

tea lady
27th June 2009, 08:06 PM
They look very interesting. :2tsup: Middle one especially so. I recently took my li'l home made lathe to lathe hospital and am also looking forward to non wobbly turning.:cool:

orraloon
27th June 2009, 08:33 PM
Great first bowls redgum. Like the rest said the middle one is a real winner.
Regards
John

redgum
27th June 2009, 08:39 PM
The middle bowl is 190mm X 160mm it started out as a block of redgumm and developed as I turned it down. The finish on this bowl is straight beeswax but on the other two I used EEE Ultrashime followed by Shellawax. I find it produces a brilliant finish with very little effort.

Sawdust Maker
27th June 2009, 08:40 PM
redgum
nice work
I too like number 2 :2tsup:

artme
27th June 2009, 10:45 PM
Lovely work Redgum!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
That second bowl is a real eye catcher. Looks solid but not too chunky. Nicely done.

Ed Reiss
28th June 2009, 12:29 PM
Redgum...they all look fine, but my favorite is #1 :2tsup:

redgum
28th June 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I was kindly given the first lathe by an old relative who was unable to use it any more and just started having a go to see what I could produce. I bought a book and that helped but it was very much trial and error. Some of the early attempts ended up slightly smaller than planned (removing gouge marks) and I only had some small "Marples" and no real idea on how to use them. Now with the new lathe and some better quality tools I should be able to get better results and produce some larger bowls etc.
I definetly agree with comments I have seen in other posts, it is addictive.

Will post some more photos when I get new lathe fired up (I am waiting for an adapter for the chuck) :U

Ad de Crom
28th June 2009, 04:53 PM
Well Redgum, I'm impressed by seeing your first turned bowls.
Wish my first turned bowls looks so well.
Ad :2tsup: