PDA

View Full Version : Shoddy Owner Builder #1

Fantapantz
8th July 2004, 01:29 PM
OK...I bought a place that was built by a shoddy owner builder :mad: ....A few different problems so I'll post them in parts...

1st problem (Part A)........The posts that hold up the patio roof are bolted to bearers and not connected to the main support posts.

1st problem (Part B).........To attach the patio support posts this guy had to notch the bottom of the posts. Some look OK and he's only notched out half of the post. Others he's run into a joist so he's notched a 100sq post down to 25sq.

Anyone got any ideas on fixing the problems without starting from scratch???

Will get a photo when the camera battery recharges.
Will get an engineer out in a few weeks for advice, but would like some ideas before he gets here... :confused:

Thanks

Cassandra
8th July 2004, 01:51 PM
Move :p

Fantapantz
8th July 2004, 04:04 PM
Moving is out of the question........this place has potential, I got it cheap, and whoever buys it would want a council inspection and I'd have to fix it anyway...

Christopha
8th July 2004, 04:26 PM
Have a fire and collect the insurance??
Now you know why it was "Cheap"

craigb
8th July 2004, 04:27 PM
Looks like whatever you do it'll be painful. :eek:

Mick might be able to suggest something

Eastie
8th July 2004, 04:35 PM
Although it's a real proper crap job I'd be inclined to leave it alone, unless you're looking for something to do.

From what I see it's supported on the joist, plus a bit on the bearer. It's bolted to the joist so movement other than up or down should be minimal. The bit on the back of the bearer certainly isn't doing much and makes it look as bad as it does.

What sort of load is acting on it? (it certainly isn't built to withstand a cyclone (acutally don't even break wind next to it)

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 06:13 PM
and whoever buys it would want a council inspection
Why? You didnt? :p

Al

Fantapantz
8th July 2004, 07:37 PM
We got it $20k under market value from a relative 18 months ago.....And if we didn't get into the market then we would be looking at an extra $100k for the same thing now..........

The reason why I have to fix it up? The councils site plan doesn't have part of the deck or the deck roof or the swimming pool on it....

The 10.5m x 7m shed I want on in the back yard means submitting a site plan......if whoever inspects the shed has any scrupples he's going to ask about the stuff not on the site plan.....Hence...fix it before the council sees it., and before the shed gets going.

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 07:47 PM
If youve already made $120,000 profit from the project my advise and time will cost you $200 per reply.

Al

bitingmidge
8th July 2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Oz, at those rates you would have made over $300 grand just for being on this forum...

:rolleyes:

I reckon I've had my $300k's worth!

Cheers,

P

Theva
8th July 2004, 09:20 PM
Fantapantz,

Are the joists secured to bearers properly?

Steel mending plates or gal angle with two bolts each to bearers & post should take care of your concerns.

Since you are getting an engineer to have a look, they can provide expert advice.

OZ, non meat meat – is it tofu ;) ?

Regards,

Theva

journeyman Mick
8th July 2004, 11:40 PM
Fantapantz,

:eek:

there's three options that I can think of:
1)Leave it alone (if the engineer says it's okay - highly unlikely though)
2)Move the post(s)
3)Move the joist(s)

Depending what the spacing is like (it may or may not be noticeable if your spacings aren't strictly equal) it might be easiest to move the post(s). Take the bottom 600 or so off the post and splice another piece on. You might be able to distract the eye by putting a couple of fancy trims around the post on the joins. It won't hide the half lap completely but it will disguise it.
OR:
Leave the post where it is, move the joist (pain in the @rse as you'll need to get it loose from the decking), and take the bottom of the post off and repair and disguise as above.
OR:
Leave the post, cut the end of the joist off, run a trimmer between the two adjacent joists to support the end of cut joist, run a small trimmer parrallel to rest of joists from 1st trimmer to edge of deck and next to post. New piece spliced onto bottom of post as above.

Check with your engineer, you will probably need to put a pair of splicing plates onto the half lap.

Good Luck!

Mick

wombat47
9th July 2004, 10:49 AM
Why not grow ivy over it..

Fantapantz
9th July 2004, 11:15 AM
Moving the joists a bit shouldn't be a problem cause this guy used a T-nailer, (not galvanised) so most of the nails have rusted off where the floor boards meet the joists.

What about, how the deck posts aren't on top of the main support posts? I thought they had to be directly inline? Do they all have to be moved or can the bearer be reinforced?

(The end of the main support posts is 3m from ground level)

journeyman Mick
9th July 2004, 10:39 PM
......What about, how the deck posts aren't on top of the main support posts? I thought they had to be directly inline? Do they all have to be moved or can the bearer be reinforced?......

This may or may not be a problem. Do the posts take a roof load? If they don't (or the engineer says the bearer can take it without reinforcement AND you can live with the looks) then you can leave it as is. Plans would be really helpful, if there are any but I'm assuming that as it didn't go through council none exist.

Mick

Fantapantz
10th July 2004, 02:30 AM
Plans are partly on the way...I've had 12 months to do them...but I don't need them for another 3 days........The blue part on the plan is the part of the deck that wasn't on the original plans. All of the roofing outside the fascia is additional aswell.

Ivan in Oz
10th July 2004, 06:22 AM
G'Day Fantapantz,
Or maybe just Hello

I'd think of going the Steel sandwich, with Bolts.
All Gal if I were doing it.

Next would be onesided Steel plating with Coach Bolts.

Last time I mentioned Steel in a Bench; here, I got spoken at :(
Me thinks, Steel has its place.

Count

Theva
10th July 2004, 09:33 AM
My choice will be gal angle, two 12mm bolts to bearer and two more to joist.

Like to know what the Engineer says.

Regards,

Theva

Fantapantz
10th July 2004, 11:44 AM
I was thinking of steel reinforcement if necessary too......Could put 125x75 angle along the bearer by jacking it off the post supports a bit and bolting it at intervals, asw ell as sandwiching plate either side of each post......

Engineer is booked for mid next week.......so will see what he says is necessary. Hopefully the engineers advice and bill wont make me :eek:

GCP310
11th July 2004, 11:26 PM
You are talking about Engineers,Right?

Start worrying if he rocks up in a nice new Landcruiser or BMW 4wd. :p

Fantapantz
19th July 2004, 12:47 AM
Engineer has been out and he's reasonably happy with it...........Just have to bolt a few bits of angle from post to bearer, and a few minor improvements (under $100). He has to ge tback to me on some member sizes etc......

Hopefully the council wont even bother looking at it if I have an engineers certification, I assume half their problem is legal liability?