PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of teak table and chairs

awaye
28th June 2009, 06:26 PM
I have a teak dining table and matching chairs that i would like to restore ,
the table top is a teak veneer with teak edging with the legs etc being solid teak the chairs solid as well.
this has been in our family since 1974 and i am quite fond of it but several years ago the veneered top became scratched as were the tops of chairs , i am planning to use a cabinet scraper to remove the sratches ( some deep)
the table top appeares to have been laquered but has worn off
Any suggestions as to go about repairs.? :doh:

Tegan Pryce
19th January 2013, 12:53 PM
Hi there, doing the same thing - looking for advice on a Parker suite which has glass marks and a few gouges

rozza
21st January 2013, 11:37 AM
Hi there , I have been lucky enough to find some awesome retro teak pieces fairly cheaply at sales etc and in each case I have stripped them carefully with fine 0000 steel wool and metho and put on a few coats of "Feast and Watson scandinavian oil" . It's easily found at hardware shops. It's a sticky process but has a great result. I have a few other pieces but no photos yet. I don't try too hard to fix scratches and gouges except to hide with some subtle stain possibly on a deep scratch.
* 2 matching sets of drawers were bought for under $50 all up and I have seen same online for $900 each! * the sideboard was bought for $50 and I found $50 hidden in a drawer when I got it home from auction! they can go for near $1000 as well. * I bought a rare boomerang back Parker teak armchair for $5 and have seen same for $800!
I love this stuff, not selling it though!

Cheers,

:1. teak drawers after restoration 2.teak drawers before 3. parker sideboard after.

meggg
30th November 2014, 01:24 PM
Hi there , I have been lucky enough to find some awesome retro teak pieces fairly cheaply at sales etc and in each case I have stripped them carefully with fine 0000 steel wool and metho and put on a few coats of "Feast and Watson scandinavian oil" . It's easily found at hardware shops. It's a sticky process but has a great result. I have a few other pieces but no photos yet. I don't try too hard to fix scratches and gouges except to hide with some subtle stain possibly on a deep scratch.
* 2 matching sets of drawers were bought for under $50 all up and I have seen same online for $900 each! * the sideboard was bought for $50 and I found $50 hidden in a drawer when I got it home from auction! they can go for near $1000 as well. * I bought a rare boomerang back Parker teak armchair for $5 and have seen same for $800!
I love this stuff, not selling it though!

Hi I have a late 60s early 70s teak dining table with chairs, the top is in quite good condition, but would benefit from a strip back to restore and hopefully restore some of the original colour. I think the top is veneer, but the edge of the table, the legs and the chairs are solid teak. Also a couple of the chairs are faded on the back of the legs and look very dry. The table is in quite good condition, but has a couple of faint marks on it (very pale white mark) that I would like to get out.

I spoke with a fellow and he said to put some Metho on some super fine steal wool, which I did on the edge of the table. After it dried, there was slight white marks, which I don't know is the varnish or is teak oil with dirt in it?

I am posting some photos for you, if you could advise me of the best way forward with this project.

Photo 1: showing the fading from table top to table leaf
Photo 2: showing back of chair
Photo 3: showing edge of table, after I put on some metho and rubbed it with super fine steal wool, you will notice that to the edge there is some dusty look, once I wiped again with some metho on a cloth this came off.
Photo 4 showing me wiping the edge with the super fine steal wool.

Cheers

meggg
6th December 2014, 06:58 AM
I have stripped them carefully with fine 0000 steel wool and metho and put on a few coats of "Feast and Watson scandinavian oil" . It's a sticky process but has a great result. I don't try too hard to fix scratches and gouges except to hide with some subtle stain possibly on a deep scratch.

Thanks for the reply, How will I know that I have taken it back enough, without going to far? Also, I have read that I should put Scandinavian oil or Teak oil on with a cloth, which is the best way to do this?
Also, will this process restore some of the colour that has faded, compared to the leaf?

I have a few other pieces but no photos yet.
I would love to see the other photos :)