PDA

View Full Version : which table saw ?

Julian Wilson
8th July 2004, 09:35 PM
Hi all,
I am about to purchase a 10" table saw, I have narrowed my choice down to Carba-tec and Delta. I am interested to hear from anyone who who has either model.
As the Delta model is a considerable amount dearer I am interested to hear if it is worth the extra money.
Thanking you for your information,
Julian.

craigb
8th July 2004, 09:39 PM
I'm not having a go at you, but please, do yourself a favour and do a search in the archives.
This topic has been done to death. (ditto Triton v Table saw)

Dean
8th July 2004, 09:44 PM
I'd go the Delta Unisaw if I had the money to buy one... It would likely be better quality.

But in saying that, you must also consider the various add-ons and products you might need to go along with your saw to make it more useful which are an additional cost... Tenoning jig, dado set, overhead guards (if you want one), push sticks (i'd get the GRR-Ripper), additional blades, dust collection if you dont have it already... the list goes on.

The TSC-10HB is also a very solid saw at a bargain price. Ultimately, they probably both give similar results when tuned up correctly. The Delta may have a better motor etc and perhaps better castings (who knows?)
I think the delta also comes with a larger fence system (50" compared to 36").

If you can afford the Unisaw, and then the rest above... go for it! Your money, your choice!

Julian Wilson
8th July 2004, 09:48 PM
I'm not having a go at you, but please, do yourself a favour and do a search in the archives.
This topic has been done to death. (ditto Triton v Table saw)Thank you craigb, I am new to this site, I will check the archives.

LineLefty
9th July 2004, 06:18 PM
Julian,

He's right about the archives this has been doen to death...............BUT!

I find it useful to look through the old threads and then ask those questions that they dont answer. Hopefully you'll get some help and fill out the blanks in the knowledge base of this forum.

smeds
10th July 2004, 05:17 PM
Have you had a look at the new sherwood ts250 which now come complete with sliding table for $1599

Pete J
14th July 2004, 12:01 AM
This topic has been done to death. (ditto Triton v Table saw)

Craig (and others) :)

One of the values of this site is that it is regularly updated by the views of its members. That is why I am a lurker! and not much of a contributor so as far as I am concerned, the water is fine!

If to you this topic has been done to death - then tune out [not to put too fine a point on it!]

For others it is relevant, topical and interesting.

I for one am interested and there will be many in my camp when ever this is raised.

I am looking at the moment and I don't find all the previous threads totally helpful, particlularly when I look at the Sherwood 10" saw with the sliding table [TSC 250] and compare it to the TSC 10HB from Carbatec. There is a lot to know and a lot to gain from other experience. While previous threads provide great accumulated knowledge, they don't necessarily give an update for newbies like myself. I want to see this matter raised and re-raised (if that is a word). I have looked at a number of 'sheds' including members of this forum and they all work well it seems to me. Let us do what the teachers do - learn and re-learn.

This site is great and I acknowledge Neil for his benificence.

Cheers to all

craigb
14th July 2004, 11:58 AM
Craig (and others) :)

That is why I am a lurker! and not much of a contributor so as far as I am concerned, the water is fine!

If to you this topic has been done to death - then tune out [not to put too fine a point on it!]

Yes you aren't much of a contributer. I suppose that it would be a really interesting board if everyone took your attitude. :rolleyes:

I think you will find that if you check the archives the same people will be the ones that are posting and maybe they get sick of repeating themselves so that the next time the question is raised they won't bother answering.

Neil provides an archive and a search facility so that newcomers can access the accumulated knowledge of the last 5 years. So I don't think that it's
unreasonable to point a novice in their direction.

You may want to see the matter raised and re-raised but I suggest you'll end up talking to yourself.

'