PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box no. 6

jefferson
29th June 2009, 07:58 PM
Here is the latest offering:.

The piece started out as 90mm round, but ended up much smaller - 83mm - after I had a serious catch with the skew. I should know better by now....The shape was almost right. The other one is Box no. 5.

The base needed more off the last angle on the foot. The top also needed a more gradual transition too. Also, I sanded the base to 1200 grit but not so with the top. A good learning experience though. And the top doesn't fit nice and snug either.

I had some problems hollowing without the tools I need - I just didn't know how thin I should aim for with Camphor Laurel. And I didn't hollow correctly (I think) down to the arc of the foot.? I stopped the curve short and it feels bottom heavy.

The plans for this style of box are not good. That is, the plans direct that you shape both the base and top of the piece, then part off the lid. Not a good approach using Shellawax when you need speed for the finish on the under-side of the top. (I haven't worked out how to chuck the lid thus far. )

I learnt a good deal with this one.

Don't cut the inside rim until last, as sanding the inside makes the lid fit loose.

Also, stick with one spindle gouge. The experts no doubt can alternate between chisels with different profiles/ bevels, but beginners like me need to stick with just one.

But most of all, I must learn how to cut the lid correctly. I had "jump catch" one after the other - and the top should be slighty wider than the base.

Open as always for thoughts / criticism.

The Kitchen QA controller has thankfully agreed to assess my "best effort" Chinese box (thanks Helen, but don't hold your breath.) QA here is hard too.

I'll do another 5 or 10 or 20 in the same vein until I get it right.

And Skew, I must definitely be in front of my target of one box a week. I'll do another tomorrow out of redgum (with a loose fit) and learn some more....

Jeff

RETIRED
29th June 2009, 08:15 PM
Not as nice a shape as 5.

The base is too high and wide.

As you already know the curve from the base is too sharp which has pushed the transition line too high but I know the trouble you had with this one.

The lid IMHO should have been a more concave shape but that is personal preference.

The finish is getting really good Jeff.

Wall thickness on most timbers at that size can go extremely thin.

orificiam
29th June 2009, 09:07 PM
Nice Box Jeff.if I could change one thing I'd make the foot shorter or no foot at all
But that's just me.Beautiful finish BTW.
Cheers Tony.:)

mick61
29th June 2009, 09:20 PM
G`day Jeff that`s not a bad effort considering it`s box number 6. Shape isn`t bad you should sand with the grain especially the top and you will get a much better finish. My other tip would be if you sand and burnish to 600etc on the top you must do the same on every other aspect ie inside outside bottom. You can jam chuck the top to finish inside or do in stages so you finish the inside of the lid first then the outside(or top) when you jam chuck it on to the base.If that doe`sn`t make sense let me know.
Mick:D

jefferson
29th June 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks, .

You didn't have to call to forewarn me of your feedback. That's why I put the piece up in the first place.

Thanks anyway, your pre-emptive call before you posted was a nice touch. Sums you up, doesn't it?

You must explain to me about the transition line.

Remember please that I am a mere Grasshopper. I am ready to learn - and the Kitchen QA Officer (AKA Helen) has agreed to QA my work when I think I'm "ready". That's another 10-20 boxes based on this design. (I'm not moving onto the next design until I think my work passes muster).

I knew the base / foot was wrong as soon as I parted it off the lathe. I kept tilting my head to the vertical and got a little dizzy. I was also a little worried about the glue-hold. But I can fix the base with a jam chuck (I hope anyway).

Same problem with the lid, but for different reasons. I had a nice concave curve flowing at one stage (an easy cut for me, just like turning coves). The main problem came when I made the entry cuts on that sharp edge on the lid. Then I ruined it.

I think I had the bevel pointing in the right direction, left thumb on the rest blocking the chisel from moving left. Turning right handed too. But the chisel still jumped left and the box lid kept getting smaller and smaller and even more shallow....

Also, the lid should overhang the base - and it doesn't.

A good learning experience. I just need to learn from the mistakes. I hurried No. 6 a little, as Skew was onto me and my schedule. (Well, not quite true. I've set myself a target on quantity but I must also consider quality too).

I'm still in front and will start another box tomorrow.

(I also learnt today that dig-ins on softwood are a lot less forgiving than redgum!) That is, the dig-ins are deeper!

Any and all suggestions welcome. I'm here to play and learn. I hope that I take your criticisms well.

And I'll continue to post my pics of my boxes as a way of recording my progress. And not just for mebut for those out there that are helping me along the journey. I hope you can see some improvement in my turning over time.

Jeff

Calm
29th June 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks, .

You didn't have to call to forewarn me of your feedback. That's why I put the piece up in the first place.

Thanks anyway, your pre-emptive call before you posted was a nice touch. Sums you up, doesn't it?

Jeff

So if i want to say it is shyte house thats OK then:D:D:D:D:D:D:no::no::o

No Jeff i think you are getting better although i do prefer the shape of the 5th one. My preference is for a fitted lid as apposed to the overhanging "asian hut" look

jefferson
29th June 2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I don't have a good handle (yet) on chucking lids where you form both the top and bottom together, then part the top off. Particularly when the lid has such a sharp apron as it does with the Chinese Hat box.

But the approach seems more preferable than turning the inside of the lid first ie the Raffan method, then finishing the lid jamned onto the base. I prefer to see what the outside looks like first, then turn the inside to suit.

Execution is another matter....

As for you Calm..... You'll keep. :D

I do agree, I don't particularly like the lid. But it is a good starting point for me and a "not-too-hard" project for Box no 6. The hat certainly disguises any break-line between the top and base.

BTW, I don't think Box 6 was a step backwards from Box 5. It wasn't executed as well but it was a different box out of different wood, turned 1 day apart.

Tell me though as loud and as long as you like if Box 15 is no better.

Jeff

mick61
29th June 2009, 10:17 PM
Jeff that`s why you turn the inside of the lid then jam it on the base.Then you can alter the base to suit the lid.

jefferson
29th June 2009, 10:25 PM
Mick, you were very quickly onto me on this one. :oo:

The few boxes I have turned previously, I did as you suggest.

But I saw Ken W. do it the other way around and it made a lot of sense to me. That is, you turn the entire box, part the lid, then hollow the lid and the base. At least you get a full picture of the box all together from the outside first. You are not turning blind.

The problem is hollowing the lid. I didn't have to do that with the last two boxes, but I need to learn how to do it otherwise.

Yep, the solution is in finding how to hold the lid for hollowing. Just another little adventure. IMHO of course (all this from a guy with 6 boxes under his belt!) :-

Jeff

mick61
29th June 2009, 10:55 PM
No worries Jeff ask Ken W about his ken chuck I saw it on saturday.

P.S.Hi Ken hope I am not giveing too much away.
Enjoyed Saturday

KenW
29th June 2009, 11:52 PM
No worries Jeff ask Ken W about his ken chuck I saw it on saturday.

P.S.Hi Ken hope I am not giveing too much away.
Enjoyed Saturday

Mick, glad you enjoyed Saturday. I got a bit tired by the end, must be getting old.
Give away all the tips you can. I don't mind.
I havn't answered Jeff here, as I emailed a set of instruction direct to him, when I read his post.
We will see what box 7 turns out like.

jefferson
30th June 2009, 12:04 AM
Mick,

The Ken Chuck will test me on this one. I think my VM 120 chuck may do it, maybe.

Ken W. has also sent me detailed instructions that I will post (if Ken is OK with that) after I get Box no. 15 right.

I'm quite determined now with this Chinese Hat box.

Not only do I want to turn a decent Chinese Hat box, I want to make it better. And that means hollowing the lid. (The instructions say that you simply part the lid off and that's all).

I am thinking there are a few options here - assuming that I want to turn all of the outside of the box first, then hollow:

- use the Ken W. Chuck, great for solid edges on the lid but perhaps a little dicey with sharp edges
- use the bowl jaws, but on a much smaller scale. (4 plates attached to the standard bowl jaws, faced off, then additional faceplates attached. You simply part at say 120mm and insert your bowl or lid with none of your fingers in danger).

I will give it some more thought in the morning after I re-read Ken W's instructions.

In my mind, I can see no way of getting a box exactly right unless you turn the outside first. How you hollow the mirror image insde is the hard part. Sure, you don't need a finial on the inside of the lid, but how can you get the shape you want if you start on the outside?

More tomorrow. Probably another bin job, but I will be trying.

Jeff

artme
30th June 2009, 08:49 AM
Can't say any more than has already been said, but want to comment on the good finish.:2tsup:

tea lady
30th June 2009, 10:46 AM
:cool: Love 'em. I didn't realise box number 5 was so small. I'm a sucker for small things.:U Box 5 has a nicer squashier form, but you know that already. Onward and upward.:2tsup:

Woodwould
30th June 2009, 11:39 AM
Box 5 is the little red one in the picture above? I think it looks fantastic!

I'm going to be turning some intricate little utensils from Apple shortly, so I'm interested in how you form the lids from the same stock as the body, yet make the lids hollow.

My thinking is that I'll hollow the lid from the end of the stock, then part it off, hollow and turn the body, press the lid on and then turn the exterior of the lid. Is that what you box makers do? The only issue I can see with this method is that the grain continuity will be interrupted - but then, there's always going to be a substantial interruption anyway due to the lid's spigot.

Sorry for the hi-jack - , feel free to move this to a new thread or delete it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2009, 12:21 PM
My thinking is that I'll hollow the lid from the end of the stock, then part it off, hollow and turn the body, press the lid on and then turn the exterior of the lid. Is that what you box makers do? The only issue I can see with this method is that the grain continuity will be interrupted - but then, there's always going to be a substantial interruption anyway due to the lid's spigot.

To keep the grain aligned, you can rough the blank & turn a tenon at both ends, then part off. Finish turning the box proper, mount the lid in a chuck to hollow the inside, then press the lid on (as you suggest) and finish the outside.

Obviously it helps a LOT if you have two chucks (or appropriately sized faceplates) as you don't have to muck around swapping & recentering the pieces in the chuck.

Another alternative is to "block out" the outside of the lid, part it off, hollow & finish the box proper and then dismount it from the lathe, still in the chuck. Mount up a faceplate with a waste block of wood and turn up a jam-chuck for the lid, so you can hollow it out. Put the chuck with the box proper back on the lathe, press in the lid and finish the outside.

I do this when the transition from box to lid is one contiguous, smooth line.

If the lid doesn't need to match the curve, like Jefferson's last two, then you can turn/finish the outside of the lid before hollowing it in the jam-chuck, thus avoiding the need to remount the box proper afterwards.

With woodturning there's a dozen different ways of doing anything. (Even something as simple as just sharpening tools :U)

jefferson
30th June 2009, 12:26 PM
Would-wood, I don't think you've hijacked the thread at all.

This particular design (at least in the instructions) didn't allow for the lid to be hollowed. You simply turned the top and bottom in one hit, then part the lid off. Followed by hollowing the base etc. A simple approach, but not one that works well with Shellawax, as it is difficult to re-mount the lid and polish the underside of the lid.

Ken has made a few suggestions that I'm practicing with (not doing too well either on the "hat" - the damn chisel keeps skipping sideways and I loose more and more wood trying to correct.)

(If you're on line Ken, please post a pic of the tiny live centre. It really lets you almost finish the top with tail-stock support).

More later.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2009, 12:36 PM
Jeff, have you got a jacob's chuck for the tailstock?

I simply use a bit of dowel in the jacob's chuck to lightly hold the lids in place. It tends to char at the contact point, especially if you apply too much pressure on the tailstock :rolleyes:, but you can leave a tiny bit of meat on the middle of the lid (basically a tenon a few mm in diameter) and turn that away last, then use just finger pressure to keep the lid in place while you apply the finish.

(It's the poor man's "not-so-live" centre. :p)

tea lady
30th June 2009, 03:11 PM
(It's the poor man's "not-so-live" centre. :p)Would have thought fingers were very much alive.:rolleyes:

I think I'm working up to doing a box. Maybe we could have a box challenge, 'cept not one with voting and everything. More like everyone do a box then tell every one what they did and what they discovered.:cool:

jackliveshere
30th June 2009, 03:24 PM
Looking good there Jeff :2tsup: However I do like that little red box heaps, very very nice IMO :U

Cheers,

Will

Gil Jones
30th June 2009, 03:49 PM
Nice work, Jeff.
Good looking wood too.

jefferson
30th June 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks all for the feedback thus far.

I can re-chuck the beast I guess and do a "quick-fix" but I'm not inclined to bother. I know that the top should be larger than the base. The lid-fit is too loose as well. And the foot is not what it should be.

Then again, a few minutes could turn it into something worth maybe $20...

But after you turn Camphor Laurel for a hour or so, you just want to finish. :)

I was going to get into Box no 7 today, but thought I should practice a little more on the cuts for the top. Ken W. made a heap of suggestions, but putting all of into practice was beyond me. (I had more catches today than probably ever before. Not big catches, but turning the Chinese lid has tested me. Convex one way, concurve the other. )

Back to the shed soon for more practice....

Lesson learnt: don't try to turn with the DTs or when you are a little gun-shy.

Skew - great advice, thanks. I have a new and small live centre for the tailstock arriving soon. I'll post pics too.

Tea Lady, if you are thinking of a box turn-on/off, be very wary. Ken W. is lurking and probably making some boxes out of the Congo & Northern Mahogany I exchanged right now. And the bar will be high, no question.

Box no 6 (or is it 7?) may be a few days away, so please bear with me. Forum visitor/s arriving tomorrow.

Jeff

tea lady
30th June 2009, 06:38 PM
Tea Lady, if you are thinking of a box turn-on/off, be very wary. Ken W. is lurking and probably making some boxes out of the Congo & Northern Mahogany I exchanged right now. And the bar will be high, no question.
Jeff

Ah! But it won't be a comp, twill be a .....:think: ........ Turnalong? So Ken can play to as long as he tells us exactly what he did.:D

mick61
30th June 2009, 06:49 PM
A box turn along sounds good just a show and tell would be good fun.

jefferson
30th June 2009, 08:15 PM
Tea Lady,

I'd be very careful about a Box 'athong with Ken W. in the field. Others have tried and failed.... :(

Ken W. turned a little Dead Finish box in 30 minutes down at 's the other week that I am not yet game to replicate.... Mind you, Kitchen Quality Control said to bin the piece in an instant.

But I'm in anyway. Someone set the rules and I'll do my best.

Not much in the way of output here today. Just too many catches... Too many chisels to choose from too, which is not helping.

I must learn to master one. (Preferably the skew. In which case the little Grasshopper will be hot on the tail of the Axe Wielding Mongrel).

Jeff

Ad de Crom
30th June 2009, 08:36 PM
Jeff, I find you did a very good job on both of them, you got already a lot of feedback from other members, but I'm impressed with your progress in making lidded boxes.
Not everything turned out so well with the first boxes I know, there will be always a couple of points to consider for new boxes. But you know that very well.
My hat off for you, I'm waiting for your new lidded boxes.
Ad :2tsup:

jefferson
30th June 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Ad. :):):):)

It's good to hear from you from so far away. More so in the knowledge that you are way in front of me and have cared enough to give me your counsel.

I had the trembles up this morning and probably should not have been turning. I had, as I said, too many catches.....

After a few sedatives (VB beer, Ad, which you probably haven't tasted, but it's world class), the nerves settled a little and I cut mostly catch-free. I probably need to waste more wood of the inexpensive kind.

I only know that it's hard when you're new to the craft and turning alone. You make a mistake and repeat it. Then try to figure out, why? When wiser heads stand behind me, a little suggestion here or there or a gentle twist on the tool makes all the difference.

Yes, these first 50 boxes will be a challenge. The Chinese Hat box is the first one and I won't be going further until I get at least one right. (Picture a lot of firewood!). The acid test will be getting it passed our new friend, the Kitchen Quality Controller. (Ken W's wife Helen, a lovely lady but very, very strict on QA).

The main challenge for me is the lid. The underside is concerve, the top convex. I probably can turn the latter OK - it's just a cove cut afterall. The curve the other way gives me some grief though at times.

And I am certainly having some difficulty when I get close to the intersection point. That's when I get the catches - the chisel wants to jump to the left. And the box lid gets smaller and smaller...

I'll figure it out though. There are quite a few good people here on the Board that are helping me along the journey. I just don't want to annoy them all the time!

I certainly hope that those here on the forum will look at Box no 6 and all the way in-between to Box 50 and see some progress. The journey is what counts, not the outcome.

No more Camphor Laurel for a while though. It stinks the shed up!

regards Jeff

Sawdust Maker
30th June 2009, 10:18 PM
I like where you are going and the willingness to share. Haven't tried boxes yet, don't get enough time in the shed ...

Ad de Crom
30th June 2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks, Ad. :):):):)

~snip~

regards Jeff
Jeff, have to ever tried to work on the lid with using a detail gouge. That's my favorite tool. I have a 8mm and a 10mm detail gouge, working with them are for me catch free.
I don't use skews, for sure not on smaller objects.
But now you see after a nice cool beer, it's working better and better, only don't drink to much of that stuff.
Good luck Jeff.
Ad

Jim Carroll
1st July 2009, 06:38 PM
Jeff to get a better look at the shape as turning, take the whole chuck and wood out of the lathe and stand upright. This allows you to get a mans look and see where it might need finessing, also get the boss out to have a look as the ladies have a better idea for form than most blokes. Convince her that you are after critisism and she will be very helpful for you.

Another way to hold the lid is using the plastic jaws on your chuck, you form them like a jam chuck to hold the lid so you can clean out the inside. You just have to remember what the shape is before you start. Also very light bites on the cherry, you dont want it spinning across the workshop.

KenW
1st July 2009, 06:49 PM
Jeff to get a better look at the shape as turning, take the whole chuck and wood out of the lathe and stand upright. This allows you to get a mans look and see where it might need finessing, also get the boss out to have a look as the ladies have a better idea for form than most blokes. Convince her that you are after critisism and she will be very helpful for you.

Another way to hold the lid is using the plastic jaws on your chuck, you form them like a jam chuck to hold the lid so you can clean out the inside. You just have to remember what the shape is before you start. Also very light bites on the cherry, you dont want it spinning across the workshop.

Jim, don't help Jeff too much, or he will send you some crappy wood like he sent me.

Jim Carroll
1st July 2009, 07:48 PM
Jim, don't help Jeff too much, or he will send you some crappy wood like he sent me.

So what would you do with some of that crappy wood:D

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 05:15 PM

Jim, I just spoke with the cheeky bugger about the wood I sent him. Two pieces, one of Northern Mahogany and (the expensive stuff) Congo Mahogany.

Apparently the Congo piece is getting smaller and smaller.... It's sad when a tradie blames the tools/ wood isn't it? Then again, Ken W. is really only a novice afterall! :D

(That said, the stuff I've half-turned has cracked and is so so soft).

Learnt a few more things yesterday / today and need to put another order in I suspect.

Jeff

KenW
2nd July 2009, 06:15 PM

Jim, the only thing can do with crappy wood is make a crappy box. I'm working on one for Jeff.

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 06:33 PM
I don't want a crappy box, Ken W. I can turn those all day long, every day.

So don't bother sending me something unless it passes muster via Kitchen Quality Controller. Helen has standards, as you know.

Next time, I will send you something hard. I'll ring Trend Timbers tomorrow and ask for the hardest piece of wood they can find to turn. (I'll be asking for a piece where the grain runs in both directions every inch too).

Jeff

wheelinround
2nd July 2009, 06:46 PM
Jefferson they look great nice finial on the little one

Jim's right I often call in LOML for her opinion especially if it for her :; but it helps to see it from another angle.

Bit like the people commenting here so many are Mexican's only a few from above the border or OS.:q

tea lady
2nd July 2009, 08:21 PM
Jim's right I often call in LOML for her opinion especially if it for her :; but it helps to see it from another angle. Well they are the ones that do the shopping after all. We know what bought things look like. (That's how I know I've made something that's alright....if it looks like a bought one.:D )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2009, 10:28 PM
Next time, I will send you something hard. I'll ring Trend Timbers tomorrow and ask for the hardest piece of wood they can find to turn. (I'll be asking for a piece where the grain runs in both directions every inch too).

Some fiddle-backed Dead Finish or Boree? I'm sure Ken'd be so upset if you sent him that! :rolleyes:

jefferson
2nd July 2009, 10:41 PM
Some fiddle-backed Dead Finish or Boree? I'm sure Ken'd be so upset if you sent him that! :rolleyes:

You might be right Andy.

Surely there must be some wood that will test the Novice? I'll find out over the next week or so.....

If anyone has some wood for a little box that is impossible to turn, please PM me and I'll pay you handsomely for the experience of watching Ken W. catch again and again. :D

Box no 7 on its way soon.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2009, 10:43 PM
What wood was that lovely little piece that Calm brought back with him from his morning visit?

Do you think that might pose a challenge? :innocent:

tea lady
3rd July 2009, 12:56 AM
Allan from Wallan had a nice block of something hard and heavy at 's last last time that might pose a bit of a challenge. :think:

DJ’s Timber
3rd July 2009, 01:04 AM
Surely there must be some wood that will test the Novice? I'll find out over the next week or so.....

If anyone has some wood for a little box that is impossible to turn, please PM me and I'll pay you handsomely for the experience of watching Ken W. catch again and again. :D

Hmm let me think :think:

Did have some bits from a pole that was like trying to turn rock, tears out as well if you blinked. Was bone dry right through.

I'll have a look to see if I can locate some of it as I remember quartering some of that pole and I'm 99% sure I've still got some of it.

Might've been Ironbark or possibly Greybox

jefferson
3rd July 2009, 01:24 AM
Hmm let me think :think:

Did have some bits from a pole that was like trying to turn rock, tears out as well if you blinked. Was bone dry right through.

I'll have a look to see if I can locate some of it as I remember quartering some of that pole and I'm 99% sure I've still got some of it.

Might've been Ironbark or possibly Greybox

Thanks, DJ.

I want it to be hard, rock hard with the grain going all over the place. If you can turn it yourself (no disrespect intended), the piece is not what I want.

I need an impossible piece of 3 by 3 or thereabouts. The Novice Ken W. ha arrived on the scene and he needs to be tested.

(Same thing for damn !) :D

After we find the TWO lumps of unworkable stuff, I'll put it in the post and feel happy for a week or more..... :)

Jeff

tea lady
3rd July 2009, 01:34 AM
Sent an enooooormouse one to Ken and a tiny one to . :whistling::D

KenW
3rd July 2009, 07:02 PM
You might be right Andy.

Box no 7 on its way soon.

Jeff
Jeff, what is a catch? Something to do with fishing?
Dead finish, Boree bring it on, real wood.
Crappy box is coming along, no problem getting it past kitchen QC.

jefferson
3rd July 2009, 07:13 PM
Alright, Ken W, you cheeky sod.

I will find something to test you, even if it costs me thousands. Even tens of thousands. :D

I forgot to call Trend Timbers today - but they probably haven't got anything nasty enough to confound you.

Surely, there must be some wood out there that you cannot turn? :rolleyes:

So all the forumites out there, please PM me and send something small that will make the Box Maker weep. (Yes, Ken, change your Call Sign). I want something so hard and cranky that Ken W. is back to the Tormek every second cut.

We hope to see you and Helen sometime next week and you better put your wares on display. (You didn't disappoint last time).

Box no 8 coming soon....

Jeff

KenW
3rd July 2009, 07:19 PM
Alright, Ken W, you cheeky sod.

I will find something to test you, even if it costs me thousands. Even tens of thousands. :D

I forgot to call Trend Timbers today - but they probably haven't got anything nasty enough to confound you.

Surely, there must be some wood out there that you cannot turn? :rolleyes:

So all the forumites out there, please PM me and send something small that will make the Box Maker weep. (Yes, Ken, change your Call Sign). I want something so hard and cranky that Ken W. is back to the Tormek every second cut.

We hope to see you and Helen sometime next week and you better put your wares on display. (You didn't disappoint last time).

Box no 8 coming soon....

Jeff
Jeff, Cooktown Ironwood sends me to the grinder every second cut, makes good boxes.
No woodturning wares at Bonnie Doon, too close to bush fires.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd July 2009, 07:28 PM
Jeff, Cooktown Ironwood sends me to the grinder every second cut, makes good boxes.

You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. That they make good boxes, I mean. :U

I've a couple of pieces about railroad sleeper size that I've yet to cut up. I bought 'em with the idea of making a large low-angle plane and a few bowls... but haven't gotten around to 'em yet and was a bit concerned about how they'd go.

jefferson
3rd July 2009, 10:12 PM
No woodturning wares at Bonnie Doon, too close to bush fires.

Ken W. I'd bring some Ironwood down, but time is probably too short to put an order in.

No turning wares at BD? You'll just have to turn something to impress the good wife and I, won't you! :wink:

We must do some finials. I've watched you and Skew do it and will be bringing my 2X magnification (and my baby VL100) along just to be sure. Plus some more of that Congo Mahogany that you don't like and some other stuff.

Then off to DJ's place to turn some salt and pepper shakers, then Calm's place then 's.

Really looking forward to it.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
3rd July 2009, 11:00 PM
Ken W. I'd bring some Ironwood down, but time is probably too short to put an order in.

Ooh, I have some of that stuff floating around here, whilst I agree it blunts the tools, the other stuff I mentioned is harder than the C/T Ironwood and requires a trip to the grinder every half a cut :;

KenW
4th July 2009, 06:53 PM
You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. That they make good boxes, I mean. :U

I've a couple of pieces about railroad sleeper size that I've yet to cut up. I bought 'em with the idea of making a large low-angle plane and a few bowls... but haven't gotten around to 'em yet and was a bit concerned about how they'd go.

Skew, Cooktown Ironwood is one of my favourites. It turns well (except for the constant sharpening) and holds great detail.
An added bonus, if you leave it in the sun for a while it changes colour to something like red wine.

jefferson
4th July 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm visiting Ken W. later in the week - and by goodness, he needs to impress. After the last visit - and seeing the work that captured the Judge's hearts and minds for 2009 - what's next?

Somehow, I suspect we'll be mending broken water pipes..... :D

I've said it before - and will say so again - that Ken W. is merely a Novice. I am, afterall, a Golden Member. :wink:

Enough said.

I may just pick up a couple of granite rocks on the way and see what the Novice can do with them...

Jeff