PDA

View Full Version : Al's bodgey quick and easy dust seperator

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 05:11 PM
Hi all
Well I am in the running for one of Waynes dust certificates I think.
Here is the dust seperator that I just made from a 44 gallon drum.
Cheap and nasty, just like me. :D

Beleive it or not, but it actually works. :eek:

I did a trial run and everything went into it, small, large, the lot.

Cheers, Al :)

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 05:20 PM
Now please be truthful and tell us that you spent four years cogitating, researching and generally picking the blue stuff out of your navel beofre you started.

There's ABSOLUTELY nothing to be gained by simply getting up one morning and saying to oneself "I think I'll build a quick and dirty dust separator before smoko."

Oz, the pleasure is in the JOURNEY!!! Take your time and smell the roses (or MDF dust, whatever turns you on.)

Imagine how much joy I am going to get tomorrow morning when I wake up knowing I have ANOTHER $300 worth of PVC to cut, join and bend, and then only thirty more junctions to make until I can do a temporary connection to see if it all works or whether I have to start again.

Where's the fun in just doing something cheaply and quickly that works first time.....WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT??????

:D :D :D :D
Well done once again me old CannaSpam!

P

silentC
9th July 2004, 05:23 PM
Gee'us a look under the bonnet, Al

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 05:51 PM
Gee'us a look under the bonnet, Al
Mmmm, that is under the bonnet? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif
The rest is a 44 gallon drum

Al

Sturdee
9th July 2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Al, been studying my old posts again on my drum dust extractor. :D

For those who want more details see:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=28971&postcount=134
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=31292&postcount=144
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=31293&postcount=145

Peter.

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 06:28 PM
So it wasnt a flash of insperation? :(

More like a flash of plagerism. :D

Good one Peter, like they say, great minds think alike. :rolleyes:

I must say, I am supprised at the ammount of extra suction I am getting though.

Yours, Ours, Mine , Al

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 06:36 PM
I actualy got the idea from a dust seperator that I bought from Carbatec, page33 in their new cattledog.
But when I got it home I could see that it wasnt going to work, as the inlets/outlets were too close together.

Then I thought I could do exactly the same with a 44 gallon drum lid.

Cheers, Al the apprentice :)

Sturdee
9th July 2004, 07:39 PM
Al,

Doesn't matter where the idea comes from and I don't see it as plagiarism at all. I also got the idea from someone else and a yank to boot. :D

What matters is that your system works better. I didn't know that it improves the system as I've used it from the beginning. My main aim was less frequent and more ease of emptying bags etc. :D

I only posted my reply to help other members by giving more information to help them building their own.

Peter.

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 07:47 PM
Good one Peter.
For the benefit of wood workers. :D

Al

ozwinner
9th July 2004, 07:53 PM
Im actualy toying with the idea of combineing the fire idea with the dust seperator.

So if I fill a drum with sawdust, I can then burn the contents while the second drum fills.
You know, make the actual drum full of sawdust the heater, and just rotate them.

Hmmmm :cool:

Al

Wayne Davy
9th July 2004, 10:03 PM
Im actualy toying with the idea of combineing the fire idea with the dust seperator.

So if I fill a drum with sawdust, I can then burn the contents while the second drum fills.
You know, make the actual drum full of sawdust the heater, and just rotate them.

Hmmmm :cool:

Al
Al,

Firstly, well done. I also made one of those a few years back before deciding to go the whole hog and build the big Cyclone. Anyway, yes a Certificate will be forthcoming (Intermediary level same as Sturdee's).

As for the burning idea - not too sure it would be a good idea to just rotate the drums. I have seen 44g drums over the years that are used to burn stuff in and the metal tends to weaken. After a bit, I think the DC would collapse it. Just as easy to dedicate one to burning the stuff and just fill it from the DC one (wearing a mask during such proceedure).

Just a though on the outlet pipe. I think it might be better if it was shorter. That way the air/dust stream will come in lower and throw the dust/chips down do a U turn and then the air should head up the pipe. With it longer, the outlet maybe more inside the dust/chip cloud lower down in the drum and you may get more crap in the DC's bag.

Also, don't let the drum fill over halfway. I found it tends to start empting itself from this point. (btw: these are some of the reasons to go to a full cyclone).

Anywho - once again - well done.

Cheers,

Wayne Davy
9th July 2004, 10:06 PM
Al,

Here you go. Large one can be found here:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/FunPics/GRUDMembershipCerificate-Ozwinner.jpg

Cheers,

echnidna
11th July 2004, 08:42 PM
Al,
I used to burn all my shavings and sawdust when I was a commercial furniture maker. The drums would get so hot that on nightfall they were seen to be glowing dull red. The steel totally anneals so I expect the drums would be too soft to put in a suction line as they will probably collapse.

ozwinner
11th July 2004, 09:18 PM
It would look good though. :D

Al

mag
29th August 2004, 04:37 PM
Has anyone any thoughts on using a wheelie bin instead of a 44g drum.

I have one laying around and thought it may be an easy option when it comes to emptying as well.

SteveI
29th August 2004, 05:23 PM
Mag

The only thing might be the side of wheelie will collapse if the intake gets blocked - you might need some bracing glued to the sides to stop that - and how will you seal the lid?