PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini-lathe

Toggy
9th July 2004, 09:32 PM
Is anyone on the list using a Jet mini-lathe? Any comments on them please. (the good, bad & ugly welcome as it gives an all round idea). I am thinking of buying one for smaller work as the price is very attractive. (Less than half the cost of a small Vicmark.)

I remember an article in Aussie Woodworker some time ago. I think that the only adverse comment was that the motor had less power than the Delta; but was better in some other ways.

Can't find any posts on them in the archives.

Thanks,
Ken

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 10:28 PM
I have one coming out of it's box tomorrow!

That means I can't be too objective about them, but noticed that at least two out of every three turners at woodshows etc have one, so that was part of my decision making process.

The other parts were: reviews I have read (all favourable), and comparison with the other machines that I could find. I have no turning experience so my decision should not be relied on! The Jet as usual is up there quality wise, and for once very competitive price wise as well. I do think the VicMark appears streets better, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra dough.

The only negative comments I have had (two of them) related to machines with electronic variable speed, and both owners said they could stop the motors quite easily if they weren't careful with "bigger" stuff. I don't know if that applies to the standard macine.

I would be interested in hearing more as well...any traps for young players?

Cheers,

P

Toggy
9th July 2004, 11:02 PM
Ah, Mr Midge, Was it you who got the last one from Brissy?? If so you must have bought it as I was e-mailing.

e-mail last night said new container due in end of next week.

What you say about no torque at low revs was shown to me yesterday on a smaller & different brand with electronic control. Low revs = almost no power at all. Full power came at a gazillion revs. I'll stick with the belt drive idea. Less to go wrong & cheaper to repair if needed.

With the Jet mini Richard Raffan did the article. I think he said he used one on his demos on a tour in Uncle Sam land with no problems other than slightly underpowered compared to the Delta.

I have heard that they are silky smooth with no vibration; mind you the Delta is very good & quiet.

The only benefits I can see with the V/M is a status symbol, buying Aussie and a bit more clearance over the bed. I can't justify the extra expense for it.

Cheers, Ken

gatiep
10th July 2004, 12:04 AM
Personally I think there's not a great deal between the midi lathes. I prefer the Delta as the finish is heaps better, also the covers for adjusting belts are at the front on the headstock as opposed to on the back on the Jet. The latches on both belt covers are proper latches as opposed to the Jets make shift ones. We have three Jet Midi's at the Woodturning Club I belong to, they work well but the Delta has the few points which score a lot more for me. I note that Carba in Perth have them at $449 at the moment.
The only comment I have on all the midis is that with a 13 mm bowl gouge the tailstock and bed gets in the way.

Toggy
26th July 2004, 11:01 PM
Well, the wee white beastie turned up today. Actually the d**khead courier dropped it off on a neighbours front porch.

Got it home & unpacked it. Only time for a little play, but found it well made, smooth & quiet. Now to find some time to have a real play. It certainly runs rings around an Mc900. Time will tell how user friendly the belt change system is. The quick change on the 900 is handy; but I can't find a V belt without lumps on the join; and this "seems" to be the cause of the noise & vibration. Maybe multigroove belts & quality bearings may be the go.

Midge. How's your Jet going??

Ken

bitingmidge
27th July 2004, 12:29 AM
Midge. How's your Jet going??

Happy as can be with it...I've only had a bit of a muck around, rattled out the bowl below out of a scrap of an old pergola off-cut to see if it works.

150 diameter Oregon, and about 8mm wall thickness so not a big challenge for the motor (or me) for starters...but it does the job!

I have also trimmed down a couple of bits of malelleuca root, which it handled admirably as well.

For what it is, I can't honestly say that I'd pay the extra money for any other midi, and I'm not sure if a bigger machine is inevitable for me.. if I needed the grunt or size I would probably join a club, and let this machine do the 80 or 90% of what I do.

Cheers,

P