PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 9 July 04

Ralph Jones
9th July 2004, 09:59 PM
Good Evening Friends,
According to a gentleman by the name of Ray Townsend, the folding joint wood rule was invented by an Italian architect by the name of Vincenzio Scammozi who lived from when to when, or what era of history?

Respectfully, :)

Robert WA
9th July 2004, 10:31 PM
Easy one.

1552-1616

He and I were at school together.

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 10:32 PM
Now Ralph, I'm not going to cheat and look up the answer, but who is/was Ray Townsend, how does he know, and are we going to believe him?

I was sure that one of them turned up in Pompeii, and I reckon if it was an Italian he probably knocked off a copy from somewhere in China following one of the exploits of Marco Polo.

Cheers,

P

Robert WA
9th July 2004, 10:39 PM
"Now Ralph, I'm not going to cheat and look up the answer."

BM, you would not be suggesting that I looked up the answer, would you? That would be a very serious allegation, and I would resent it.

Mind you, it would be true, but I would still resent it.

Rob

Ralph Jones
10th July 2004, 09:54 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Robert WA is correct with his answer of 1552 -1616 for the life time of Vincenzio Scammozi and that was because he lived in that time, in his first life.

About Ken Roberts, I am assuming that he was/is a historian of former woodworkers or inventors. I can only state that the information I wrote the quiz from gave his name as the person who studied the research.

A person on another forum where I installed the same quiz stated that they used folding rules in the time 3000 years before Scammozi in Egypt.

I informed him that they did in fact use some but they were not the interlocking kind that would stay level when extended while the ones used in Egypt would only work while laying flat.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully, :)