PDA

View Full Version : Exposed timber beams & T&G flooring

Aussie_guy00000
2nd July 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Guys, I'm planning some renovations on the ground floor of my 2 story Fibro home (fibro upstairs, Masonary block downstairs). The top floor has the traditional T&G flooring installed approx 20yrs ago (I think the species is forest red), and from what I can tell the bearers look to be some kind of hard wood as well, and the ceiling downstairs which covers the underside of the floor is fibro nailed to the bearers. I was planning to tear out the fibro and gyprock the ceiling, but I was thinking I might be able to leave the beams and underside of the floor exposed and dress it up a little.

At the moment the finish doesn't look too bad (a bit rough), but i'm going for a slightly modern look for the downstairs part of the house and wanted to know if any one had any ideas for making it look a bit better. Ideally i'd love to have the whole lot sanded back a bit and apply a lacquer polish like on polished wood floors, but I realise that's just not practical (mainly the sanding part). Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'll post a piccy of the beams & flooring when I get home tonight (at work at the moment)

P.S Great forums :2tsup: