PDA

View Full Version : Test and tag courses?

justinmcf
2nd July 2009, 08:32 PM
i see someone else has brought this subject to life, so i would like to find more up to date info, as the other thread is 4.5 years old.

does anyone know if you can still do the tag and test course?
where in the gold coast?
how much for the course?
do i need to renew my licence every year or is it a lifetime licence?

regards, justin.

snowyskiesau
2nd July 2009, 08:53 PM
This link (http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electricalsafety/training/training/course/index.htm) should help.

soundman
7th July 2009, 11:10 PM
Remember it isn't a licence and there are lots of restrictions.

cheers

exotiic
17th July 2009, 08:52 PM
Gday Justin,

I just completed the course today with Oztag, who are basing courses in the Sydney region. The course is a 1 dayer and there is no need for continual renewal, once you have it your accredited. We were able to buy the test equipment from them too which simply tells you a pass or fail with no need for interpretation of the readings.

Guess it saves me from running about forking out payments every month to get my equipment tested. I can legally do it myself now and in fact other people's if they request.

It is restricted and you are limited to simply passing or failing the equipment. You cannot take the equipment apart to fix or change faulty parts, that is for a suitably trained technician.

Ross
19th July 2009, 09:43 AM
Should we have our tools and equipment tested and tagged?

Ross

justinmcf
19th July 2009, 09:50 AM
thanks exotiic for the info, how much was the course and the equipment?
regards, justin.

exotiic
19th July 2009, 10:59 AM
Justin, the course was $375, and the testing equipment ranges from $845 to $3000 depending on the extremes you want to go through. for testing your own tools or another's on the job site the basic versions of each brand ($845-$995) are more than capable, with the larger type required for integrated solutions with multiple accounts.

echnidna
19th July 2009, 12:19 PM
It is restricted and you are limited to simply passing or failing the equipment. You cannot take the equipment apart to fix or change faulty parts, that is for a suitably trained technician.

Can anyone define "suitably trained technician".

Stewey
19th July 2009, 05:42 PM
I did the course in Toowoomba in March - good stuff.
PIcked up a great Megger, 2nd hand, ex Telstra- on ebay.

exotiic
19th July 2009, 07:20 PM

Someone backed with the qualifications to fix the electrical appliance, unlike the course mentioned which simply allows one to test whether the appliance is suitable for safe use.

soundman
20th July 2009, 11:35 PM

In most states of australia..... that should read

A licenced electrical worker.

That is what you need in QLD.

Should we have our tools tested and tagged.

If you own a business and those tools are used in the business...... most definitely yess.

If you use any electrical equipment in a public place I would say... it is a very good idea.

If you ever take your tools onto an industrial or building site.......you have rocks in your head if they arent tagged....especilay in QLD.

If they are you own private and domestic tools.........it would be a good idea particularly if any of them are a little old or have worked hard

Now how about the matter of clubs and the like....oooooo

I've just come back from testing a tagging for a seniour citisens club.
I condemed about 4 or 5 items....fortunately nothing dangerous... but noncompliant all the same.

This group have realised they have a duity of care and obligations ( both personal and corporate) under the elecrical safety act. They have now a loog book and all their plug in 240 items are tagged... they also insist that any electrical item braught on the premises is tested and tagged prior.

I am goob smacked how many entertainment venues do not insist that all entertainers and AV operators have all items tagged.

think about the obligations for your club.

I will mention again, I have yet to have a test and tag session anywhere including my own workshop where I have not found an item that was not compliant and required repair or destruction.

If you arent goinmg to have your gear tested.... at least have a good look at all your gear and make sure the basic things are right......cords all secure, no bare wires, no broken cases or cracked insulation and nothing melted.

cheers