PDA

View Full Version : First Burl Bowl

Seventh Wood
2nd July 2009, 11:17 PM
To All,

After about 15 months intermittently on the lathe, I finally got to turn a Red Mallee burl cap that I bought at the TWWW show in Adelaide nearly two years ago!

I used an article from Lee Tree WoodWorks, a guy who imports burls into the USA, as guidance (doesn't seem to be much locally or in the turning books on burls).

The link is http://st31.flashecom.com/leetreewoodworks/_e/page/1003/Woodworking_Ideas.htm

I remember someone on this forum said that turning jarrah is like turning red concrete - well this burl was like turning red reinforced concrete! I found scrapers to be more effective than gouges for both roughing and finishing. I still have all the fingers on my hands as well.

I didn't try to take it too thin and the lip and overall thickness is about 6 mm, with the long diameter at 300 mm and the short one 230 mm. Finish is three lashings of Danish oil after power sanding to 400 grit - the result is a bit dull though so I might experiment with waxing.

I have another cap and will try a natural edge bowl or two from it.

Cheers,

Geoff from 7Hill

artme
3rd July 2009, 08:38 AM
Gorgeous!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Can't spell wolf whistle or I'd add that to the comments.

I know that quite a few turners use an Arbor Tech or some other form of grinder to assist with the hollowing. Did you do that SW?

Rum Pig
3rd July 2009, 08:50 AM
Looks good, no nice, no beautiful, no fantastic:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great effort and from what I can see well worth all the trouble:2tsup:

mickelmaster
3rd July 2009, 08:59 AM
Looks awesome!

Ed Reiss
3rd July 2009, 12:17 PM
Nice symmytry to the piece...tough going on that mallee, but the results are worth it.:2tsup:

mkypenturner
3rd July 2009, 08:53 PM
great job :2tsup:
troy

dr4g0nfly
4th July 2009, 07:55 AM
That's pretty, Very Very Pretty, Well Done.

Seventh Wood
4th July 2009, 08:56 AM
Gorgeous!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Can't spell wolf whistle or I'd add that to the comments.

I know that quite a few turners use an Arbor Tech or some other form of grinder to assist with the hollowing. Did you do that SW?

I do have an Arbortech but didn't even think of using it on this occassion. Must give it a try! I know that I spent a bit of time at the grinder resharpening gouges and scrapers though.

Otherwise thank you all for the kind words. Ed, your comment on symmetry is spot on - I was part way through roughing the outside and decided to rechuck the burl to better balance the piece

I will try the other burl cap and I have some Adelaide Hills Hakea burls to try, but they should be a lot easier going than the red mallee.

Cheers,

Geoff from 7Hill

gtwilkins
4th July 2009, 10:27 AM
Geoff,

You might consider letting the Danish oil cure and then power buffing with something like a Beall Buff.

I finally got a set of buffs last year and does it ever make a big difference in the finish.

The other thing I have noticed with burl wood is it seems to like wet sanding with the oil so the slurry fills all the microscopic little pits, now that is with our burl, I have never worked with Australian ones as they are too expensive here although I would love to get my hands on some!

Trevor