Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19

    Default Improved version of Zero clearance insert!

    Hello everyone,

    A few months ago I was experimentalize a bit if I could improve the well known Zero Clearance insert of the table saw.

    I wanted the benefits of the zero clearance inserts as we know It but improve the dust extraction and ability to clean up the inside of your cabinet saw.

    I made a video of it and decide to let you know because perhaps it is something that also can be beneficial for you. It is easy to make and I think worth the try.



    I hope you like it!

    Thanks

    Dennis

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hobart, Tas
    Posts
    370

    Default

    That's a great demonstration (even if too only a limited extent) of what BobL Et al. have been saying about the effects of increasing airflow into machine cabinets.

    You should have a read over some of the sticky threads in the dust collection section about about increasing the air inlets, as I think you could still see dramatic improvements in your cabinet extraction.

    Kind regards,
    Lance

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,842

    Default

    I commend you for your efforts and you should read the dust extraction forum where this has been discussed in the past. The ZCI is a problem and when it is fully covered no amount of air entry is going to help at all. The cabinet must get the air somewhere else, firstly the air entry through a ZCI as you have chosen is not enough even uncovered and when it is covered there is none at all so an additional air entry is needed when this happens. The sideways ejection of the material has been noted & discussed here in past times and search will bring it up. Fitting a bigger cabinet extraction port and a bigger duct line to the cabinet will have a huge effect but a two HP extractor will not run a 150mm cabinet duct plus a 100mm overhead duct efficiently as a general rule. I hope this generates some discussion here to assist your efforts.

    MODS: Can we have this moved to the DE sub forum please.
    CHRIS

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceC View Post
    That's a great demonstration (even if too only a limited extent) of what BobL Et al. have been saying about the effects of increasing airflow into machine cabinets.

    You should have a read over some of the sticky threads in the dust collection section about about increasing the air inlets, as I think you could still see dramatic improvements in your cabinet extraction.

    Kind regards,
    Lance
    Hi Lance,

    Great comment. I will take some time reading it.

    Thanks

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I commend you for your efforts and you should read the dust extraction forum where this has been discussed in the past. The ZCI is a problem and when it is fully covered no amount of air entry is going to help at all. The cabinet must get the air somewhere else, firstly the air entry through a ZCI as you have chosen is not enough even uncovered and when it is covered there is none at all so an additional air entry is needed when this happens. The sideways ejection of the material has been noted & discussed here in past times and search will bring it up. Fitting a bigger cabinet extraction port and a bigger duct line to the cabinet will have a huge effect but a two HP extractor will not run a 150mm cabinet duct plus a 100mm overhead duct efficiently as a general rule. I hope this generates some discussion here to assist your efforts.

    MODS: Can we have this moved to the DE sub forum please.
    Thanks Chris,

    This is a good Forum!, good suggestions! I have something to read this weekend

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Hunter Valley
    Age
    51
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Wood View Post
    I wanted the benefits of the zero clearance inserts as we know It but improve the dust extraction and ability to clean up the inside of your cabinet saw.

    I made a video of it and decide to let you know because perhaps it is something that also can be beneficial for you. It is easy to make and I think worth the try.
    Thank you for sharing this here - love this concept and sincerely appreciate the work and effort you've put in to this!

    Subbed, and have bookmarked this to make one very soon.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    Thank you for sharing this here - love this concept and sincerely appreciate the work and effort you've put in to this!

    Subbed, and have bookmarked this to make one very soon.
    Thanks, I looking forward to your experience with these inserts.

    Good luck!

    Dennis

Similar Threads

  1. Zero clearance insert - Thin steel insert plate
    By Fuzzie in forum GENERAL & SMALL MACHINERY
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 15th Mar 2018, 11:11 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21st Oct 2014, 12:27 PM
  3. Zero Clearance Insert
    By spartan in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th Jul 2007, 11:00 PM
  4. Zero Clearance Insert
    By rrich in forum SAFETY
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th Dec 2006, 05:31 AM
  5. Router morticing jig (improved version)
    By Rocker in forum HOMEMADE TOOLS AND JIGS ETC.
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th Nov 2004, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •