Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    I'm lost. How does board feet relate to lineal/linear feet?

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I've always said lineal. A couple of mates say linear. At the end of the day we all know what we're on about

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John23 View Post
    I've always said lineal. A couple of mates say linear. At the end of the day we all know what where on about
    That's not the point, this is a debate and there can only be one winner

  5. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dundowran Beach
    Age
    72
    Posts
    19,923

    Exclamation

    Look you buggers and pedants, I settled this argument with my first post. So there!!!!

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Look you buggers and pedants, I settled this argument with my first post. So there!!!!
    And I made the executive decision.
    If its followed by a dimension (ft, yard, metre) is lineal.
    If its not is linear.

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    24,673

    Default

    I don't recall ever hearing a scientist or mathematician using the term "lineal".
    I've heard a few engineers use lineal but most use linear.
    Where I have heard it being used the most is by old school tradies

    This graph shows that usage of Linear overtook Lineal in the early 1800's and you can see the use of lineal is slowly dying.

    Lineal vs Linear (feet, metres etc)-linearvlineal-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wodonga
    Age
    49
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Potaitoes, potaaatoes.

    Tomaitoes, tomaaatoes.

    I'm sure there are differences between the two (and I guess thats what this debate is all about), but if used in context (purchasing timber), you would still get your point fully understood if you used either.

    Steven.

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    24,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spokeshave View Post
    Potaitoes, potaaatoes.

    Tomaitoes, tomaaatoes.

    I'm sure there are differences between the two (and I guess thats what this debate is all about), but if used in context (purchasing timber), you would still get your point fully understood if you used either.

    Steven.
    So on a poll you'd basically go for "rat's ####"?

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wodonga
    Age
    49
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    So on a poll you'd basically go for "rat's ####"?
    My point was that if you used either, you would be understood regardless.


    Steven.

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    665

    Default But

    Yebbut - would we be understood irregardless?.

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    24,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timless Timber View Post
    Yebbut - would we be understood irregardless?.
    Now you are trying to flame (or is it inflame) the situation.

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dundowran Beach
    Age
    72
    Posts
    19,923

    Post

    Typical scientist Bob.

    Bring out the graphs and stats!!

    Why can't we just have a good old fashioned discussion-cum-argument
    that has little, if anything, to do with logic and is based on anecdotes and
    experience!!!

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    24,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Typical scientist Bob.

    Bring out the graphs and stats!!

    Why can't we just have a good old fashioned discussion-cum-argument
    that has little, if anything, to do with logic and is based on anecdotes and
    experience!!!
    OK, how about something more likely to raise the hackles with no right answer, like Turkey V's Ham as a Xmas dinner. NB: no other food types are allowed.

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Age
    60
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Ham.

    Ham for Christmas Lunch and later for breakfast Boxing Day.

    Ham bought by the kilogram and purchased with dollars and cents.

    Ham. Always ham.

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rockhampton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
    Ham.

    Ham for Christmas Lunch and later for breakfast Boxing Day.

    Ham bought by the kilogram and purchased with dollars and cents.

    Ham. Always ham.
    Yaa, ham, ham is good, is Don! is good!

    Back to the other....Dad always talked about lineal (feet or metres) of total length required for a given floor especially when it required a number of widths to complete the floor, and linear referred to a measurment which has direction and magnitude as Bob says in science and maths.



    Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Working out Square metres to Lineal Metres.
    By shifty 1 in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th Jun 2009, 10:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •