Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lutyens bench.

Default Lutyens bench.

Attachment 61631
    Hi all, I have been asked by my sister to make a Lutyens bench.
    I have purchased a plan from the U.S. and will make a start after Christmas.
    My question is, has anybody made one of these?,and what should I be on the look out for as far as hiccups. I feel confident that I can build it but any tips wont go astray either.
    It will be made from Tassie oak. MDF templates for the legs and squiggly bit at the back, rough cut on bandsaw and final shaping with templates on the router table.
    I will do a WIP if anybody is interested. I look forward to hearing anybodies thoughts on this , cheers Steven.
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Is this the one from FWW #143? Pretty good article that, explains it well.

Look forward to see your WIP.

Forgot to ask, what timber will you use?

Love a WIP but make it slow, the wife will add it to my projects and I am way behind already.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Is this the one from FWW #143? Pretty good article that, explains it well.

Look forward to see your WIP.

Forgot to ask, what timber will you use?
    The original idea came from FWW but bought a plan from "American Furniture design". sold by the same crowd that makes FWW.
    My sister gave me the magazine and asked me to make her one, but she has lost the free plan that came with the mag. I downloaded the step by step article from FWW last night and it seems to be a bit easier than I thought, although it is still the most advanced thing I have made so far.
    I am thinking of using Tassie oak, but will visit my local timber man today and see what he has got. I am not paying for materials , so expense is not my problem.

Look forward to WIP, great project
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Tassie Oak would not be my first pick of timber unless this was going to be on a sheltered porch. If this is going to sit in a garden unpainted it would be a poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by markharrison View Post
    Tassie Oak would not be my first pick of timber unless this was going to be on a sheltered porch. If this is going to sit in a garden unpainted it would be a poor choice.
    Tassie oak wasn't my first choice either, I thought Cypress but it is for my sister and it will be on a sheltered porch and probably given some sort of protective coating. I am not applying the finish, just building the thing.

Starting to organise the timber today, have been going over the plans and have a question. I have 2 plans which show 2 different methods of construction , where the side rails join the legs I have the option of dowels or mortice and tenon. The legs are kicked out 6 degrees top and bottom (See Pic) What would you blokes use, Dowels or mortice and tenon,and if you reckon M&T then should they be straight tenons and angled mortices or angled tenons and straight mortices? I hope this makes sense.
    Cheers StevenAttachment 62242

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenp View Post
    Starting to organise the timber today, have been going over the plans and have a question. I have 2 plans which show 2 different methods of construction , where the side rails join the legs I have the option of dowels or mortice and tenon. The legs are kicked out 6 degrees top and bottom (See Pic) What would you blokes use, Dowels or mortice and tenon,and if you reckon M&T then should they be straight tenons and angled mortices or angled tenons and straight mortices? I hope this makes sense.
    Cheers StevenAttachment 62242
    i would do it with a m&t as it is stronger than dowells. do them straight and cut the bottom of the tenon to six degrees as the shoulder will have to be cut at the right angle anyway. (dowells are likely to shear off after a while)
    First On Race Day

And the first brock trophy goes to...............
    and we got no "2" as well
    A FORD driver.

ironic isnt it?

and if ya cant win on ya own merit punt em off!!!
    holden cheater team!!!!!

Well I have made a bit of a start on the bench. Rough cut the front and rear legs on the bandsaw and routed to shape with MDF templates and pattern follower bits (Chrissy presents). Also cut the front and side rails to length after dimensioning on the jointer and thickenesser.
    This thing is going to be VERY heavy, being made from 42mm thick KD hardwood. I thought of making it out of something a bit thinner , but decided to stick with the plan.Attachment 63187
    Most likely wont get much done over the next few days, boozing today, work tomorrow. Cheers Steven

A bit more progress today, got the side rails morticed into the legs and all squared up, I hope to get the front and rear rails done (More M&T) in the next couple of days.Attachment 63596
    I hope you all had a good Christmas and new year and look forward to participate in this site in the new year. Cheers steven.

looking good steven!
    mate i really wish i had that much room to play with in my shed, it would be so much easier on the bigger projects!
    looking forward to seeing it all come together! happy new years to you too,
    cheers steve

G'day all, well a little bit of progress today, cut the mortices and tenons for the front and back rails. There are upright stiffeners (Centered)to go between the upper and lower rails which I hope to get done tomorrow.
    I realised today that I dont have clamps long enough to hold this thing lengthwise, so I will have to go and get 3 lengths of water pipe for my pipe clamps tomorrow.
    As can be seen from the pic , it is starting to look like a bench, but it is not glued yet.
    After the uprights are done I can start on the back , and I think this will be the really tricky bit, lots of angles and curves.
    Attachment 63879

Had a PM the other day, asking about the Lutyens bench. No progress for a while now. Things are pretty hectic here at present, daughters Wedding coming up , too much work, but will be back into it in the next cuppla weeks.
    Cheers steven.

Well, the daughters wedding has come and gone, so now maybe I can get a bit of shed time.
    This is half of the "Crest" along the back of the bench, joined with "Dominoes" (Sorry Wongo" ) The plan is to make 2 of these and joined again with dominoes, adjust to fit and cut the pattern out on the bandsaw, then finish on the router table with a pattern following bit.(Making sense?)
    The photo looks like it is all different coloured timber, but some has been lightly sanded and some not, should look ok when finished.
    Stay tuned Cheers Steven
    Attachment 67982

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast