Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 119
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    Come on Chris.
    It’s going to happen sooner or later we might as well just get use too it.
    I predict FaceTime will be Brett’s next big thing.
    shudder
    regards from Canada

    ian

  2. #77
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,260

    Default

    NCArcher rang me with a suggestion to look in the Google Play shop for a Nokia to Android copier of contacts. There may be something there (I did look Tony), but I have decided to update them manually on the laptop, so that everything is in my Gmail contacts. There is another reason for this (to do with rearranging and dramatically updating the Group Buy email list) so just gunna bite the bullet and chow down on it.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  3. #78
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    but I have decided to update them manually on the laptop, so that everything is in my Gmail contacts.
    A slow process but getting there (414 contacts all up). I could have done an ipmort of a CSV file (which I have done before) butI am merging the old phone with an Excel spreadsheet data, and all into Gmail Contacts. To avoid any potential massive cockups it's better to do it manually.

    However, I had a thought about the safety of using Gmail Contacts. I guess we all assume the Google is not going to be allowed to go bankrupt, but what happens if I am away from my home network, and I have no 4G mobile reception? Won't the phone be unable to retrieve a contact? Even id I was getting 3G I'd still be able to make a phone call (as one still tends to do with a phone) but doesn't the system need 4G to be able to access the Cloud? I'd be willing to bet there's something I'm missing though.....
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Katoomba NSW
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    You can transfer them from Google to the sim.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    "just because I don’t need the lathe doesn’t mean the beer isn’t cold" - Grand Master Flett

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    l I'd be willing to bet there's something I'm missing though.....
    Yes, synchronisation.



    Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
    Semtex fixes all

  6. #81
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,260

    Default

    Silly me thought that transferring (music) files from Laptop to Smartphone would be straightforward (like it is on my DAP). Apparently I need an Android File Copier app? Which one do people like?

    This is why it would be somewhat useful to be able to consult a user manual.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Brett,
    There is a sub group of society called teenagers, they are generally hopeless at quite a few things adults call normally behaviour.
    There face to face communication skills are now nonexistent.
    In face to face interactions you will only hear “what” ,“whatever” or “omg” , or if there happy “full sick or too easy,

    But hear is the thing that make this sub lower live form worth having around.
    They are the wizards of all things mobile.

    See if you can connect with one, don’t talk using normal behaviour, just grunt and wave your phone around they should be able to get you going.

    Cheers Matt.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    Interesting point re the SW manual, I have been using windows since 95 (there was better systems than 3.1, even DOS was better) and have never seen a Microsoft supplied manual for any of their operating systems, 3rd party yes but never OEM. Did Apple ever publish a manual?
    CHRIS

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    H
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Interesting point re the SW manual, I have been using windows since 95 (there was better systems than 3.1, even DOS was better) and have never seen a Microsoft supplied manual for any of their operating systems, 3rd party yes but never OEM. Did Apple ever publish a manual?
    Apple certainly do - for both iPhones and iPads - their online and downloadable.

    6462DABB-BA16-4379-98B8-866FF3BC1E15.jpg

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    Brett,
    There is a sub group of society called teenagers, they are generally hopeless at quite a few things adults call normally behaviour.
    There face to face communication skills are now nonexistent.
    In face to face interactions you will only hear “what” ,“whatever” or “omg” , or if there happy “full sick or too easy,

    But hear is the thing that make this sub lower live form worth having around.
    They are the wizards of all things mobile.

    See if you can connect with one, don’t talk using normal behaviour, just grunt and wave your phone around they should be able to get you going.

    Cheers Matt.
    Sad but true
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    H

    Apple certainly do - for both iPhones and iPads - their online and downloadable.

    6462DABB-BA16-4379-98B8-866FF3BC1E15.jpg
    That looks like a manual for a phone and not the OS.
    CHRIS

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    I thought the discussion was about phones re transferring contacts etc etc.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    I thought the discussion was about phones re transferring contacts etc etc.
    Brett was lamenting the lack of an Android OS user manual or did I misunderstand that?
    CHRIS

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Brett was lamenting the lack of an Android OS user manual or did I misunderstand that?
    I think Brett is misunderstanding the purpose of Android -- it's a shell within which third party applications like the phone address module operate
    regards from Canada

    ian

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Brett was lamenting the lack of an Android OS user manual or did I misunderstand that?
    From my reading, Brett was lamenting the lack of a User Manual per se, similar to the one from Apple I posted. It has all the info you need to operate the phone including transferring of contacts etc.


    Originally Posted by rwbuild
    ..something in the instruction manual or online manua



    ......yairs, both excellent thoughts Ray. I'll pass them on to Xiaomi....any kind of manual would make it easier.....

    Searching for Mi 8 User Manual does bring up a lot of hits, but "nothing to see here". Even android.com has absolutely jack about the operating system”

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Smartphone charge station
    By fatmansat in forum WOODWORK PICS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th Dec 2015, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •