Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default Protool 18V Drill on Special

    This seems like a bit of a bargain to me.....

    http://www.festool.com.au/epages/too...roducts/767467


    http://www.festool.com.au/epages/too...roducts/767468

    The second one is the hammer version
    CHRIS

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,873

    Default

    Nice find
    Fastest $249 I've ever spent.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    I bought one as well, I was astounded at the price when I saw it. I was looking for a new charger for my C12 drill as mine appears to be on the blink and I was surprised they were on special as well for $45 so all round I reckon I have done well. Festool and cheap don't seem to go together as a rule.
    CHRIS

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Thanks Chris. Just ordered mine.

    Stewie;

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    2,270

    Default Is it Really Impact ??

    Good Morning Chris, Élan and Stewie

    Rang a local Festool agent to order one and they were most insistent that the Protool DRC 18 Compact was a conventional drill/driver and not an impact driver. Confusing, but still a great buy at that price.

    Website seems a little equivacable.

    How are your drivers ?


    Fair Winds

    Graeme

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    I am very pleased with mine, I ordered a conventional one not needing the hammer option so I can't comment on that part. For an 18V drill it is compact, well balanced and light for what it is. Beyond that it drills holes and drives screws, something I most probably will never use it for as I have the C12, above that I use pneumatic drivers. It does not have the Centrotec removable chuck option so anyone buying it with that in mind will be disappointed. I mainly bought it for use when we go kart racing and it will live in the trailer.
    CHRIS

  8. #7
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    ... they were most insistent that the Protool DRC 18 Compact was a conventional drill/driver and not an impact driver.
    Quite right Graeme, it's the PDC 18 that is a hammer drill (look to the right and down slightly and you'll see a link - they are also $249). I have the similar version to the DRC and I have to say it's a helluva drill, and very quiet by comparison to my Makita. The whole product reeks of quality.

    I am sorely tempted to buy another at that price........
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    Good Morning Chris, Élan and Stewie

    Rang a local Festool agent to order one and they were most insistent that the Protool DRC 18 Compact was a conventional drill/driver and not an impact driver. Confusing, but still a great buy at that price.

    Website seems a little equivacable.

    How are your drivers ?


    Fair Winds

    Graeme
    I re-read your post, neither drill is an impact driver but one is a hammer drill. My apologies for not reading properly.
    CHRIS

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Quite right Graeme, it's the PDC 18 that is a hammer drill (look to the right and down slightly and you'll see a link - they are also $249). I have the similar version to the DRC and I have to say it's a helluva drill, and very quiet by comparison to my Makita. The whole product reeks of quality.

    I am sorely tempted to buy another at that price........

    No, Brett

    An impact driver is quite a different critter from a hammer drill. The impact driver has a"micro-hammer" action and is brilliant at loosening recalcitrant screws and also drives screws better than a conventional driver.


    The Festool ad referenced by Chris's original post describes the protool DRC 18 Compact Drill/Driver in large orange print as being "compact cordless impact driver but with lots of power". This seems to be misleading advertising as it does not seem to be an impact drill.


    Not questioning that even as a standard cordless drill that it is great value for money.






    Fair Winds


    Graeme

  11. #10
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    An impact driver is quite a different critter from a hammer drill. The impact driver has a"micro-hammer" action and is brilliant at loosening recalcitrant screws and also drives screws better than a conventional driver.

    The Festool ad referenced by Chris's original post describes the protool DRC 18 Compact Drill/Driver in large orange print as being "compact cordless impact driver but with lots of power". This seems to be misleading advertising as it does not seem to be an impact drill.
    Yes, sorry Graeme, I assumed you made the equivalent of a typo when you said "impact", but I thought you just meant "hammer".

    The PDC is definitely a hammer, not an impact.

    To be honest, I don't think they are trying to mislead, I think these are just careless mistakes, which are contradictory and very confusing. The following is from the DRC which is neither impact nor hammer:
    "Compact cordless Impact Drill but with lots of power
    For an allround cordless hammer drill, the DRC 18 Compact is the perfect solution.



    Now there is no such thing as an Impact Drill: by convention it's either a Hammer Drill or an Impact Driver, but this one is neither. Note that there are no beats per minute mentioned.



    "The integrated light ensures you can always see in the dark areas"

    Be aware that whilst this light has an excellent spread and brightness - it has to be turned on and off manually - no trigger starting (unnecessarily disappointing).
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    No, Brett

    An impact driver is quite a different critter from a hammer drill. The impact driver has a"micro-hammer" action and is brilliant at loosening recalcitrant screws and also drives screws better than a conventional driver.


    The Festool ad referenced by Chris's original post describes the protool DRC 18 Compact Drill/Driver in large orange print as being "compact cordless impact driver but with lots of power". This seems to be misleading advertising as it does not seem to be an impact drill.


    Not questioning that even as a standard cordless drill that it is great value for money.






    Fair Winds


    Graeme
    As a personal preference if it had been a impact drill I would not have bought it as I hate impact drills with a passion.
    CHRIS

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    As a personal preference if it had been a impact drill I would not have bought it as I hate impact drills with a passion.
    I'm curious as to why.
    I used to be the same, but after using one at work for a while I promptly went out and bought my own.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    I'm curious as to why.
    I used to be the same, but after using one at work for a while I promptly went out and bought my own.
    They are bloody noisy and hard to tell when a screw has reached the point where it needs to stop. I do have a small Bosch because working inside cabinets installing drawer slides etc it does have its place but I have to wear ear defenders when I use it. Any half way decent cordless drill these days can break most screws that the average woodworker will use. Any real big stuff I use a pneumatic driver with reluctance but again it is the tool for the job and I have never seen any coach bolt that will stop it. One reason I have never gone beyond 12 volt tools is the size and weight, I am totally won over by the Protool as it is not much bigger than the 12 volt C12 Festool I already have.
    CHRIS

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    They are bloody noisy and hard to tell when a screw has reached the point where it needs to stop. I do have a small Bosch because working inside cabinets installing drawer slides etc it does have its place but I have to wear ear defenders when I use it. Any half way decent cordless drill these days can break most screws that the average woodworker will use. Any real big stuff I use a pneumatic driver with reluctance but again it is the tool for the job and I have never seen any coach bolt that will stop it. One reason I have never gone beyond 12 volt tools is the size and weight, I am totally won over by the Protool as it is not much bigger than the 12 volt C12 Festool I already have.
    Noise was my biggest issue as well.
    I've found that drills snap screws (and wrists) much easier than impact drivers; a driver will keep rattling without turning the screw so you know it's time to stop but a drill will just keep going.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Drills have clutches to stop the screw action and not snap wrists but I think most of us develop a feel for these things. It is one complaint I have about the Festool C12 though other drills might have the same issue, the clutch setting is speed sensitive and I can't recall my old Panasonic being the same but that was many years ago. I honestly can't see the need for a big impact drill in a normaly workshop scenarion, certainly no fastener that would be normally used would need it to be driven into any timber I know. Getting into construction is a different thing altogether, but apart from that I think it is marketing hype to sell something that is not needed.
    CHRIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Protool drill problem?
    By mspil in forum FESTOOL FORUM
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd Jul 2010, 10:37 PM
  2. Festool accs on PROTOOL drill??
    By Mr Brush in forum FESTOOL FORUM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29th Dec 2009, 08:58 PM
  3. a wet day special( bench drill stand)
    By tanii51 in forum HOMEMADE TOOLS AND JIGS ETC.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th Aug 2008, 06:31 PM
  4. GMC cordless drill special
    By DavidG in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th Nov 2004, 11:57 PM
  5. 12v cordless drill special (well sort of)
    By Eastie in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd Jun 2004, 03:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •