Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    If the diagram is correct, the plug should have either:
    a) 4 wires - 2 white in separate terminals and 2 black in separate terminals ie. 4 terminals. This is the clutch/brake switch. Bridging the 2 white wires allows you to start the mower.

    b) 6 wires - 2 white in separate terminals and 2 black in each of the other 2 terminals ie. 4 terminals. This is the attachment clutch switch. Bridging the 2 white wires allows you to start the mower.

    In either case, disconnection of the plug has removed the black "ignition kill" wires from a potential short to ground at that switch which is why it starts and runs. When you jumped the two black wires, you brought the seat switch back into play

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    So the black is only the kill switch for the seat and nothing to do with the wire going to the solinoid at the carbi?

    I think the carbi wire was red.

    It was only four terminals on the plug but beat i can see is 2 blacks in one one black in another and one white in eah of the remaining two which have been looped with non colour coded red

    Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

  4. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    The kids could have fun with this sort of ride-on mower Dave.....
    I've seen that somewhere

    Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

  5. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Had a similar problem with my old ride on. It was a short happening by the linkages hitting an electrical cable...one of the safety kill switches. It took me forever to find it. I disconnected all the things and replaced one at a time. If you are not good with this kind of stuff get someone to look at it for you...safety switches are there for a good reason. Anyway, found the one acting up and traced it to a rubbing linkage that wore through the wires insulation. Adjusted the linkage and replaced the wire and good as gold.
    Hope this helps.

  6. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Can't help you with the carbi but as I said, the so called "safety" switches need to be clean and kept clean. I blow mine out every time I clean the air filter which is about every 3 to 4 mowings.

    From the look of your connections, air may not be enough and could even blow crud where you don't want it. Even though you have got it going the cause of the problem is still there. Just a suggestion, Jaycar, Dick Smith or your local TV repair place can sell you a tin of contact cleaner, this would "wash out" the crud to ensure you have no further electrical issues.

    This is my Husky, AWD with a mulching 112 cm, 3 blade deck, magic machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

  7. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    I like your machine

    Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

  8. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Katoomba NSW
    Posts
    4,277

    Default

    Dave, plug it back in and see if the carby still floods. You may have disconnected the fuel shut off valve.
    I've seen a similar problem the same as Dave Stanton describes. Except it was the throttle linkage that was hitting on the kill wire.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    "just because I donít need the lathe doesnít mean the beer isnít cold" - Grand Master Flett

  9. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Of The Boarder
    Age
    63
    Posts
    16,748

    Default

    Buy a few sheep, horses, alpaca, not only will they mow but they wool, meat and fun the kids can have with them. Just no goats they eat anything.

  10. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    Dave, plug it back in and see if the carby still floods. You may have disconnected the fuel shut off valve.
    I've seen a similar problem the same as Dave Stanton describes. Except it was the throttle linkage that was hitting on the kill wire.
    Ill try that. Not sue if i get back to it now before the gtg. Could be heading to sydney tomorrow. My SIL has some work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Buy a few sheep, horses, alpaca, not only will they mow but they wool, meat and fun the kids can have with them. Just no goats they eat anything.
    No doubt the kids would love it

    Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

  11. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Go the goat
    A lot more adventurous

  12. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    If it has five wires, then the wiring diagram is wrong The black wires are all to do with the ignition kill circuit. According to the diagram Pete gave the link to, the red wire goes from the charging system regulator up to A1 on the ignition switch and the wire to the fuel cut solenoid is blue? There should be an orange wire, joined to the red and blue going to A2 on the ignition switch. Have a look at the diagram which shows the back of the ignition switch and compare wire colours to yours. The fuel cut solenoid, if it goes into the carby body, is used to cut off the fuel circuit in the carby when the ignition is switched off to prevent the engine "running on" when the engine is switched off.
    if you wanted to bypass the safety switches, but I'm not recommending it, you could disconnect the black wire from the ignition unit and the "m" terminal on the ignition switch, then run connect a wire from the ignition unit straight back to the ignition switch "m" terminal. This would allow you to start and stop the mower normally but all the safety switches would be bypassed.

  13. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    If it has five wires, then the wiring diagram is wrong The black wires are all to do with the ignition kill circuit. According to the diagram Pete gave the link to, the red wire goes from the charging system regulator up to A1 on the ignition switch and the wire to the fuel cut solenoid is blue? There should be an orange wire, joined to the red and blue going to A2 on the ignition switch. Have a look at the diagram which shows the back of the ignition switch and compare wire colours to yours. The fuel cut solenoid, if it goes into the carby body, is used to cut off the fuel circuit in the carby when the ignition is switched off to prevent the engine "running on" when the engine is switched off.
    if you wanted to bypass the safety switches, but I'm not recommending it, you could disconnect the black wire from the ignition unit and the "m" terminal on the ignition switch, then run connect a wire from the ignition unit straight back to the ignition switch "m" terminal. This would allow you to start and stop the mower normally but all the safety switches would be bypassed.
    Im off to Sydney in the morning but will go back over this upon my return

    Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. New ride on mower
    By Reno RSS Feed in forum LANDSCAPING, GARDENING, OUTDOORS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th Oct 2015, 12:10 PM
  2. pros & cons of a decent ride-on mower
    By ivorytickler in forum MY RURAL BLOCK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23rd Mar 2012, 12:49 PM
  3. Ride on mower puncture
    By Allan at Wallan in forum MOTOR VEHICLES
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th Aug 2010, 01:55 PM
  4. Which Ride On Mower
    By echnidna in forum NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH WOODWORK
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 4th Jul 2006, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •