Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A sled for a Triton 2000 Workcentre

Hi,

Somewhere else on this site there is a video of a sled and someone said they were going to make it for their triton workcentre. On looking at my Triton 2000 I tend to think that this would not work, due to the sliding slots that you would have to put the runners in to, do not extend all the way along the table. Like it does in that video. The way I see it if I did try and build one, chances are it might only get half way through the timber and then pull up.

Any thoughts on this,..?

My workcentre is over ten years old now and the cradle for the saw tends to look bent, which makes it hard for the blade to stay at a nice 90 degrees.

I am trying to work out the best way to rip slices off timber, say 10mm slices off timber which might be say 150x150 square and about 80mm high.

Any thoughts,

Regards
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

From what I remember the sleds that have been shown here all slide along the outside of the table and do not use the slots.

Have you done a search otherwise I am sure someone will know the link
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

This what you're after?

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    This what you're after?

TT
    This is what I built my original crosscut sled on for my Triton - it works very well. I would definately recommend it for the Triton as a 'must have'.

Have a look at this thread too before you build.

Nathan.

[quoteHave a look at this thread too before you build.[/quote]

Thanks Nathan but it's too late . I have just posted on the Triton/GMC site. I finally built one over this weekend. The sled appears to work well, but I think that I have a warped blade.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls321 View Post

My workcentre is over ten years old now and the cradle for the saw tends to look bent, which makes it hard for the blade to stay at a nice 90 degrees.

Is your cradle bent or is your saw " slumping" and falling away from the cradle. If you have a Makita saw on it like I do try and get your hands on a saw stabilising bracket which will hold it up.

Thanks very much gentlemen, for your kind input. And yes I do have a makita saw attached to my triton. Close look at it today revealed a bit of bending in the cradle frame which I tried and straighten up a bit. But your right the saw does tend to fall away after a while.

And twisted tenon, did you actually build that this weekend, I am impressed, I'll print out those plans and see if I can do something similar.

Any suggestions on the ripping of small slices, say around 10 or 12mm wide in a safe manner like in my original post.

Regards,

Paul

stabilising bracket here

thanks Pac Man

Yes, that does seem to be the go, I remember Bunnings used to sell these years ago, shoulda bought one back then. I'm just about to head up to coffs harbour, and I know that Coffs Power Tools are agents for Car ba Tec. I might see what they have and get a price, see how that compares to that ebay add,

Will let you know

Regards
    Paul

I remember when i set up the triton and nearly lost my mind squaring it up. I think i set it up 5 times and each time the saw would fall away. Went to the local green shed and luckily a triton demonstrator was there ( ah the good ol' days) who put me on to the bracket. I had to use a shim i.e. toungue depressor to hold one of the hose clamps in place but no probs since.
    In the triton DVD the inventor uses the makita saw, must check to see if the bracket was on it and let you know.

Good luck with the Coffs outlet

hey there Pac Man, Today I went to Coffs Power Tools, great guys up there. And yes I did buy a stabilising bracket, fortunately they had a couple on the shelf, cost $59. Come home and fitted it on (makita saw) and it seems to work good. Will do a couple more square checks in the morning.

According to the guys up there, The only outlet for Triton gear now is CarbaTec, who have the australia rights to sell it. Its all new stuff new after the period of Triton going backrupt or whatever, and they say you cant buy parts for older type Triton Workcentres (made before the period of non trading). As all the stuff sold now is new designs etc.

Regards

Paul

Great news, now all you need to do is make the crosscut sled. While your at it make one for me!

yes I shall have to really think if I need that sled or not. Over the last 12 years I've built every piece of timber furniture for this house, even some with leadlight in it (done by myself). All made with my old triton workcentre. Most joints were either housing joints or biscuit joints. Kinda run out of larger type projects now.

I've made heaps of bandsaw boxes, but now want to get into making small dovetail joint boxes. Hence my earlier question about ripping off slices off 10mm or 12mm strips.

About two weeks ago I met the bloke who bought out Roger Gifkins dovetail jig business. This chap lives at Coffs Harbour now, having moved there from Canberra. I bought the basic Gifkins Jig plus a few router bits and other bits and pieces.

So I am setting myself up to see what sort of small type jewellery boxes I can make.

Paul

Smile Craig's Triton 2000 Sled

Here's one that I built yesterday using some aluminum and MDF.

This was a heap of fun to build as I'd never worked using a t-trak slot cutter before and the results were far better than expected.

I still need to add a couple of safety features, like a blade cover at one end and some protective perspex, as well as some ergonomic handles.

I'll post pictures when the whole thing is complete.

Craig

My problem with all these table-hugging crosscut sleds, is that on my table, the tabletop isn't perfectly rigid. i.e. after many years of use, the tabs that lock it into the body have worn, and therefore I can jiggle the table top around. It isn't a lot (<1mm), and it doesn't affect accuracy of my cuts, because the fence is independent of the table. But it does mean I can't use this method for my crosscut sled.

However, somewhere on this forum is a thread about using the extension table runner to guide the sled. It isn't as bad as using the extension table, since you don't need to set up the second runner. Ahhh... one day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast