Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hand Grinder

Default Hand Grinder

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Hand Grinder

It's not necessary to find a special arbour for modern wheels, you can just eyeball it close then dress it.

Nor is there usually a problem with mess. The poster was spinning the wheel the wrong way.

Finally, I don't think he would have had any trouble mounting a standard diameter wheel if he'd removed the tool rest, but I might be wrong.

I love my hand cranked grinder...
    Cheers,

Eddie

As much as I like hand tools the hand grinder is not for me. I guess if it were fitted with a foot pedal allowing 2 hand use then I would be on board. That or some shed help to crank the handle.
    Regards
    John

Default Hand Grinder

I agree that's its difficult to use one handed, after using two hands on a lectric one. A decent tool rest is required. Then it takes only a little practice and you'll be fine. The trick is to work smoothly, get into a rhythm and be patient. I can manage a very accurate grind now, more accurate than I need.

It's a learning curve but is very achievable, I think.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't appreciate a faithful grinder-cranking monkey assistant.
    Cheers,

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    As much as I like hand tools the hand grinder is not for me. I guess if it were fitted with a foot pedal allowing 2 hand use then I would be on board. That or some shed help to crank the handle.
    Regards
    John

hand grinders are great for using on site, being they are small and portable, but they are pretty easy to rig up with a foot pedal if you have a permanent spot for them in the workshop, just a pedal base fastened to the floor with the pedal in it on a fulcrum, length of timber from the foot pedal to the handle spot on the grinder, then you have both hands free to hold your tools..

i made another more elaborate one once out of a an old sewing machine base, since i have turned it into a small side table so i cant show how it was, but its very easy to do, mount the grinder on some boards that sit (attached) on top of the sewing machine table (frame), rig up a wheel/disk or old fan belt pulley in place of the grinder handle/crank (best if it has a furrow for the belt to stay in). then run a belt from the big wheel under the table to the new wheel on the grinder (that normally goes to the old sewing machine, this is just adapted to run a grinder instead), the boards on top need a couple of holes or slot to run the belt through from bottom to top, use a bike tyre tube, stocking or whatever you find that works to use as a belt

cheers
    chippy

I like hand grinders, there handy .

I have two next to my lathe, and with a little practice have been getting the best chisel results ever. My lathe is out back under a lean to roof and I didn't want to leave an electric one outside for fear that it would be the thing that someone would nick if they were dumb enough to jump the fence and try.IMG_8968.jpgIMG_8969.jpg

Also included is my wood turning chisel anti theft device which my hand grinders are bolted to. Rob

Default Hand Grinder

Chippy, I will most certainly be adding that to my long list of projects - thanks for the great idea!
    Cheers,

Eddie