Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quick Canoe 155 - PJ and Cliff's one week build for Tinaroo Raid

Plans by Michael Storer (AKA Boatmik)

Build by Cliff Rogers (AKA Cliff Rogers) with LOTS of help from Peter Ingram-Jones (AKA Still Smilin' but I call him PJ) (Check out more of Pete's work here www.canoesandlampshades.com )

Our plan is to build the Quick Canoe in the week before the 2010 Tinaroo Raid & take it to the raid.... PJ has taken over the plans & has drawn up a schedule....

To be able to use it on the weekend, we have to have the last coat of paint on by Wednesday night.

We started just before lunch Saturday 5/6/10.

The shed was NOT ready but it does now have power. (after 5 years of waiting)

We have altered the plans & build sequence slightly.

We want to have a bright finish inside & a painted exterior.
    I have some Altex epoxy timber preservative that I want to try so there will be 3 coats of that on the inside with a UV resistant finish over it.
    PJ bought the paint & varnish & it is in the shed so I'll get the details later.

So far, besides the wood preserver, the other things we did different were to cut 2 sheets at once & we glued & screwed the stem doubler in before we put the epoxy fillets in.

Did I mention the ply?
    It is ALL 4mm marine ply.
    I am working with a weight freak.
    I weight 100Kgs, I will have to loose about 50Kgs before next Friday.

After we put the keel on, we will 'evaluate' the strength of the floor & maybe install some checker plate.

OK, enough waffle, here are the pics.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Astounding work chaps!!!

How many days to the end of the photos above?

MIK

PJ must be a hard task master, I think I see a bead of sweat on Cliffs brow.
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Astounding work chaps!!!

How many days to the end of the photos above?

MIK
    The photos above are for a day & a half.

The first one with PJ doing the marking out was taken at 11.57 Saturday morning.
    The last one was taken at 7.13pm Sunday night just before the lights went out.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Day 3.... Started at 7:30am & finished at 8:30pm and we are behind schedule.

I didn't mention that we are using rough sawn timber so we are having to dress it as we go.
    I am dipping into a stack of hoop pine that was cut about 18 months ago & at the time it was cut I was planning to build a PDRacer not a canoe.
    I still have heaps left for the PDR but the log that we cut up was 16' long but only clear for 11' so we are having problems with a knot.
    We have broken 2 pieces & had to back track & prepare another piece.
    One of them was a gunwale just as it was going on, the other was the keel so we modified the plans a bit & made the deadwood bigger & scarfed the keel into it.

There is an ambiguity in the plans for the keel.
    The material list says it is 19 x 38 (¾" x 1½") but the notes say that it is 19 x 19 (¾" x ¾")
    We have gone with the 19 x 19 'cos I would have had to open a different pack of timber to get a 19 x 39.

We (I) also wanted a stronger floor so we have made a couple of 'floor mats' out of 2mm ply & glued them down with epoxy & held them in place with SS screws through the bottom into the keel. You can see them in pictures 66 & 76 below.

PJ wants to make a feature by drilling a heap of various size holes in the pointy bits & cover them with dacron but we are probley going to run out of time to do that.

There are NEVER enough clamps.... see picture 64.

We could only glue one in-wale at a time so that was a holdup to.

The stress at the pointy bits is fairly significant &, if you are trying to rush the job, the gunwales can let go.

OK, the pics, including a few arty ones for art's sake.
    Cliff.

Looking good Cliff. You will just have to go with slightly soft paintwork (won't be the first time for anyone that's happened!!
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

When you glue down the skegs and keel, make sure you either do not use any metal fasteners in the ends, or at least really bury them so that when you plane down the skegs that you do not hit any screws or nails.
    The canoe looks good. I would imagine if you could purchase nice clear 20' lengths of wood and whack them on, instead of dressing them, scarfing them and fiddling with them, you would almost be done by now! I can buy nice clear cedar that is already 19x19 in lengths that long for about $4.25 Cdn. Its almost like cheating!
    I have been waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can try mine with the drop-in sail rig that MIK has designed. Maybe this weekend.

Rick.

We worked til 11:30pm last night so haven't had time to process any pics, I'll get to it while something is drying today.

We have finished all the woodwork & most of the sanding inside & on the gunwales.
    Today the outside will be sanded & then the finish goes on, the inside will be varnished & the outside will be painted.
    Cliff.

Sanding is finished, one coat of sealer on the inside, stopped for lunch.

Next we are going to cut up some timber for paddles & the flip the boat over & put the first coat of paint on the outside.

Photos later while the paint dries.
    Cliff.

Ratbag! I just finished the epoxy on the outside... waiting for the epoxy to dry so I can fit gunwlaes/inwales/keel/seats/knees and centre spreader. So, I'm an arvo behind you.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Ours is finished, it has a sealer & a coat of varnish on the inside & a coat of paint on the outside, tomorrow it will get another coat of varnish on the inside & 2 more coats of paint on the outside.

I have downloaded the pics & started sorting & I'll post them later, currently making Beef Rendang for dinner while PJ catches up on some lost sleep in front of the TV.
    Cliff.

Good to see you have something to do Cliff.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Besides work.

I have not driven my car since Friday arvo, that is a good thing because when I parked it it was 47 weeks old & had 54,500Kms on the clock... I needed a bit of time in the shed.
    Cliff.

A couple have written to me about the keel ambiguity. Either will work, but I had better sort it out!

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    A couple have written to me about the keel ambiguity. Either will work, but I had better sort it out!

MIK
    Yup, I do remember it being mentioned in a post on here somewhere.
    Cliff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast