Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Woodman CNC

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Caroline Springs, VIC
    Posts
    1,502

    Default

    If you go the route of buying a second hand flat bed router, check the linear rails for wear. If they have distinct grooves in them, the machine has been run "dirty" or poorly maintained and the bearings will most likely be fubar. With chewed up rails, the machine runs like a real bucket of crap ie. You can feel the machine ride up and down the bumps in the rails.

    FWIW running a CNC is 95% programming in CAD/CAM and the last 5% is done by the unskilled lacky at the machine. I was actually knocked back for a job because I was over qualified. They just wanted someone to load sheets and clear away cut components.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffy View Post
    If they have distinct grooves in them, the machine has been run "dirty" or poorly maintained and the bearings will most likely be fubar.
    If they're that bad I want to know what the hell they've been doing; the rails are hardened and have dust wipers built in to the blocks that run along them. Not even aluminium or composites should be able to chew them up

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Caroline Springs, VIC
    Posts
    1,502

    Default

    Seen it on two different older Multicams. A 2400x1200 bed and a 2400x1800 bed. Each in different businesses. One was purchased second hand from "somewhere", and the other was brand new cutting acrylics for signage.

  5. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    160

    Default

    So...any other brands for recommendation? I’ve got a meeting with the boss tomorrow to discuss $$$.

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,695

    Default

    If you're talking $$$ with the boss, perhaps concentrate less on the actual make of machine and more on the desired (or required) capabilities.

    Things that I think might be "key decision criteria" are:

    speed -- is it desirable for the machine to be capable of completing a significant cutting task inside the length of a standard lesson.

    cutting vs engraving -- which do you want

    ease of changing cutters -- I can see this being an issue within a school environment where every assignment might require a cutter change or perhaps several changes per job.

    setup time

    required operator skill -- should the kids (at least in year 12) be able to load and cut their own work


    I'm sure there are other criteria. Perhaps explore with the Boss the scale of his notional budget and what he sees as the purpose of the machine.
    regards from Canada

    ian

  7. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cockatoo Vic
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
    So...any other brands for recommendation? Iíve got a meeting with the boss tomorrow to discuss $$$.
    Recommend you consider Axiom Precision being sold by Carabatec.

    I have had a good look at these and they are quality for the money.

    Proper linear rails, ballscrews, high speed spindle. Solidly built. Running UCCNC control software.

    And locally available.

    (please don't waste schools money on shark)

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Recommend you consider Axiom Precision being sold by Carabatec.

    I have had a good look at these and they are quality for the money.

    Proper linear rails, ballscrews, high speed spindle. Solidly built. Running UCCNC control software.

    And locally available.

    (please don't waste schools money on shark)
    what is the size of the Axion?
    Lewis is looking for 1200 x 1200 -- half a sheet of ply
    Biggest I can see on the Carbatech site is 1200 x 600 -- which is only a 1/4 sheet
    regards from Canada

    ian

  9. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cockatoo Vic
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Lewis is looking for 1200 x 1200 -- half a sheet of ply
    Sorry. I did not read all of the above posts.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Hi Greolt,

    That one you suggested looks pretty good. I might have to look into that more down the track a little bit. Looking at the videos it seems to take your own router/trimmer?

    And I cant see if it has a laser engraver adaptor with it. I would definitely only want the smaller model.

    Paul

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney Upper North Shore
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls321 View Post
    Hi Greolt,

    That one you suggested looks pretty good. I might have to look into that more down the track a little bit. Looking at the videos it seems to take your own router/trimmer?

    And I cant see if it has a laser engraver adaptor with it. I would definitely only want the smaller model.

    Paul
    There was a discussion a little time ago, on this forum, regarding the Axiom system and whether a trimmer router would be powerful enough for the job. Worth a read.

    Importing machine from China
    Last edited by Lappa; 1st Dec 2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added link

  12. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Didn't get the chance to talk to the boss. A few more days to look around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Recommend you consider Axiom Precision being sold by Carabatec.

    I have had a good look at these and they are quality for the money.

    Proper linear rails, ballscrews, high speed spindle. Solidly built. Running UCCNC control software.

    And locally available.

    (please don't waste schools money on shark)

    Thanks for pointing that one out. In comparison to the the shark, the Axiom looks a little more substantial. Maybe they've done a better job at making videos and marketing it?

    Even though a 1200 x 1200 machine would be a nice compromise in size - we're running into the issue of where to put it. There are a few options but all involve taking away space from other areas. The one area that would be least intrusive is near our welding bay and not as close to our timber machine room and benches as I'd like.

    The size of the Axiom would be a winner for this reason.

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Hi Lappa

    Thanks for that link. The decision gets more confusing all the time. Need to ponder much more.

    Paul

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
    Even though a 1200 x 1200 machine would be a nice compromise in size - we're running into the issue of where to put it. There are a few options but all involve taking away space from other areas. The one area that would be least intrusive is near our welding bay and not as close to our timber machine room and benches as I'd like.
    please don't overlook the dust collection issue.
    CNC, especially in MDF, will produce a prodigious amount of dust
    regards from Canada

    ian

  15. #29
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cockatoo Vic
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    There was a discussion a little time ago, on this forum, regarding the Axiom system and whether a trimmer router would be powerful enough for the job.
    I could be wrong but I think Carbatec are only selling the speced up models that have a water cooled high frequency spindle.

    Axiom do make a cheaper version but not sure these are being imported.

    Link to importer, https://bgprecision.com.au/axiom-cnc/

  16. #30
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    please don't overlook the dust collection issue.
    CNC, especially in MDF, will produce a prodigious amount of dust
    If we can’t fit it into near our main ducting, we’ve got a 2hp extractor that I’ll fit with a cyclone/seperator and use that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Woodman PT 310
    By John Samuel in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th Mar 2016, 12:14 AM
  2. Woodman SB-12
    By metester in forum TABLE SAWS & COMBINATIONS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th Jun 2015, 10:31 AM
  3. SB-12 Woodman Cabinet Saw
    By simops in forum PRODUCT REVIEWS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th Jan 2013, 11:04 PM
  4. GPW 10/12 TS, Woodman SB-12 TS
    By jay h in forum TABLE SAWS & COMBINATIONS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th Dec 2012, 08:30 AM
  5. Woodman,Bandsaw .........
    By Tasman in forum BANDSAWS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st Mar 2011, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •