Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Missed this new one Keith (puter went belly up then I went OS} Im in for the ride too
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Hi All,

    I have been working on the front bogie wheels - these were turned in the wood lathe out of pine.

    I then sketched up and have started to build the sub chasis of the locomotive. This is made from 9mm MDF and pine. I have also made up the wheel bearings and reatainers. These slide into the cutout sections of the chasis.

    The second photo shows the wheel configuration on the front end of the locomotive.

    My next step will be turning up the axles for the front bogie wheels and also the main drive wheels. The axles will be turned out of 25mm solid aluminium in my metal lathe.

    There are also 8 sets of leaf springs for the wheels to be made. So plenty of work to keep me going.

    Regards

    Keith

    43.jpg 44.jpg

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Alabama usa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Very interesting and looks like a lot a work. [FUN]
    An Index Of My Model making Blogs on Lumber Jocks.
    http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htl View Post
    Very interesting and looks like a lot a work. [FUN]
    Thanks Bruce.

    It is enjoyable. Now into the metal turning. A favourite of mine.

    Regards

    Keith

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Hi All,

    Started turning up the axles of my locomotive.

    My design has the axle made out of 25mm aluminium round. The main bearings are 7/8 inch bore and the the bore of each wheel is 3/4 inch. The bores of the bearings and wheels were cut with forstner bits as they give a good quality bore.

    Because I have so many axles to machine up - I made up a gauge that allows me to create a sliding fit on the bearing and an interference fit on the bore of the wheel. It's pretty rough - but it works.

    45.jpg

    I machine up and measure using a vernier to get a diameter close to what I want.

    46.jpg

    I then use my gauge to get the sliding or interference fit that I want.

    47.jpg 48.jpg

    The gauge makes it much easier than having to remove the work from the chuck or take measurements with the vernier.

    49.jpg progress so far.

    Regards

    Keith

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Hi All,

    Finished my axles and also made my first set of leaf springs for the front bogie.

    Regards

    Keith


    50.jpg

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Thanks Master Keith !
    I can use that gauge on my automata work !

    Regards,
    Gus

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Hi All,

    I have started to make the main drive cylinders for this loco. I found that if I didn't make them and then position them on the chasis - then I won't be able to work out the position of the boiler accurately.

    The cylinders in the photo show the piston shaft end and the back end of the cylinder.

    The caps I have made out of MDF. The gland is turned out of aluminium and is a press fit into the end cap. The cylinder is PVC pipe. I have made internal spigots on the caps to ensure the caps locate centrally on the cylinder.

    I have also made up the leaf springs for each wheel (once assembled you won't be able to see much the springs as they will be obscured by other components).

    Regards

    Keith

    51.jpg

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    3,774

    Default

    Hi All,

    I have been working on the bracket that will secure the cylinders to the chasis.

    I cut out 8 pieces of 19mm thick pine to the outside diameter of the cylinder and then sanded to the size using a spindle sander. I then glued and clamped 4 pieces together (4 pieces for each side) Then finished sanding the bore. These form my cylinder brackets. They will be bolted from the inside of the cylinder to the chasis.

    52.jpg

    I have clamped the cylinders in there approximate position to check alignment etc.

    Beside my version of the loco is a photo of the original locomotive I am working to. Unfortunately I have limited photos of this locomotive.

    53.jpg 54.jpg

    Regards

    Keith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Locomotive
    By choof in forum SCALE MODELLING
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th Sep 2019, 12:51 PM
  2. ANI Perkins Ross Air Compressor
    By node105 in forum GENERAL & SMALL MACHINERY
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th Jan 2019, 08:23 PM
  3. Perkins 4108 wanted - Brisbane
    By Nuggerto in forum BOAT BUILDING / REPAIRING
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th Sep 2009, 09:26 AM
  4. Remington 1863
    By classic arms in forum WOODCARVING AND SCULPTURE
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th Nov 2006, 08:53 PM
  5. Remington 1863 serial no 1863 3
    By classic arms in forum WOODWORK PICS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th Aug 2006, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •