Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recycled English Oak + Jarrah coffee table WIP

Hi all, thought I'd post up this project which I've had on the go for a while now...unfortunately in short little bursts.

My uncle said I could have some lengths of English Oak which he'd had in the workshop for years. Said they'd come from a wine vat, and showed me the reddish purple stains. I thought it added a nice character to it. We docked a couple of split ends and you could taste the wine in the air.

To go with the light colour of the Oak I found some Jarrah which was already machined down to about 60 x 40 in 2 metre lengths.

Having selected the best 3 pieces of Oak and each good face for the table top I figured there should be enough left to make a smaller shelf underneath and also for the legs themselves.

While machining the 3 nice pieces flat I made a mistake and didn't notice there was an existing dowel hole in the side, which of course showed up nicely when I took off too much with the thicknesser. So, having turned it upside down (and showing that dark staining towards the edges in pics 3 and 4) I decided it added more character and left it like that.

What I want to do right now is cut a square hole right through the table top to allow each leg to slide up and sit flush with the top face, showing off the end grain of each little section. Obviously I really don't want to screw this up, and it has to be mm perfect, so was going to use a router with a guide and clean up the corners with a chisel. Does anyone else have an alternative of how to do this easily and accurately?

So far the plan for the bottom shelf is going to be a replica of the table top, except one third the length. Thinking about placing this centered, supported by a sheet or two of glass which is then grooved into the legs. I think it will look kind of cool, giving the wooden shelf a floating appearance.

Enough waffling, here's some pics
    The last one is just a couple of mm docked from the leg and placed on top to get an idea of what it would look like.

Dimensions are about 1200 long x 600 wide x 450 tall.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking on with great interest

Move over Ruffly, this looks very interesting.
    Love the contrasting colours.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Hundred Miltrik View Post
    ...Obviously I really don't want to screw this up, and it has to be mm perfect, so was going to use a router with a guide and clean up the corners with a chisel. Does anyone else have an alternative of how to do this easily and accurately?
    You could try one of those corner chisels, otherwise the what you have said will work.

Also using a wet rag to remove the excess glue will benifit in the cleaning/finishing process.

Looking good

Cheers Rod

Lovely work. Jarrah and Oak make a beautiful combination.

I don’t like the idea of having a solid panel surrounded by a mitre frame. It does not allow wood movement and it has a good chance to crack. Good luck.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

watching

have to agree with Wongo on the ends
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    I don’t like the idea of having a solid panel surrounded by a mitre frame. It does not allow wood movement and it has a good chance to crack.
    Agreed. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day.
    Great job so far, watching with interest!

Default tabletop

Have nothing to suggest on the how to question but love the look of it so far

Thumbs up

I am watching!!

Love the combination of timbers! That Oak is really good looking timber!!

Interesting, originally though that the Jarrah was purpleheart.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post

I don’t like the idea of having a solid panel surrounded by a mitre frame. It does not allow wood movement and it has a good chance to crack. Good luck.
    Good point, I didn't consider that when I decided on the frame. I haven't done anything like this before so I was sure to learn a lot along the way. Maybe a few years down the track I'll be learning some restoration skills as well

The main reason I thought the frame would be a good idea was to hide all the dowel holes and grooves that are in the side and end grain of the oak. And anyway, I spent way longer than I should have perfecting those damn mitres so I might as well use them. haha

btw the frame hasn't actually been glued yet, was just sitting there for the pic.
    Any thoughts on damage limitation for the frame cos of movement? Already planned for biscuits in the mitres...

Rod1949, a corner chisel would be handy I spose. I'm not too bad with a normal one though so I might just use that and work my way carefully to the right angle.

Hoping to cut out for the legs this weekend and maybe get the rest of the carcass underway!

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Interesting, originally though that the Jarrah was purpleheart.
    Me too!

Shows how little I know about woods, some days. I really had my heart set on the purple wood being the wine-stained oak from the vat.
    Straight out of the color theory text books: a primary (yellowish) and a secondary compliment (purple).
    Whattabench!

Nice work MH. Love the timber.

So I made a bit more progress today. Routed the holes in the top and cleaned them up with a chisel. Went slightly undersize so I could sand the legs down to get a snug fit. In photos they are just pressed in.

Next comes the lower shelf and rails!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast