Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Exclamation looking for plans on a router/lathe

hello all, hoping someone outthere can help. been a long time woodworker, but as a result of an accident, i have very limited use of one arm. trying to create some homegrown tools, without spending a fortune. any help on this or any other home grown tools or jigs would be a great help. thank you in advance.... GEORGE
    stay- safe

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome George

There is a wealth of info and piccies on jigs here. Suggest you do a search on 'jigs' and browse the results.

Tools covers a big area, so you know best what you want.

Good luck in your winter, hope the sheds heated.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

George,

The new Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman (Sterling Publishing NY) has a rather simple router lathe made of timber and an electric drill using a simple sled based router. This may be similar to what you are trying to track down.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc
    George,

The new Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman (Sterling Publishing NY) has a rather simple router lathe made of timber and an electric drill using a simple sled based router. This may be similar to what you are trying to track down.

John.
    definitely a good book and thats one tool that is on my list to build soon but there are more elaborate and capable routerlathe plans in other books ive seen in the local library too, cant think of the names offhand, cos i know wwhere they are when i want them

George, have a look at this USA site it shows a Legacy Milling Machine maybe this could be worth investigating.
    http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/legacy.html

Also try ebay for a "router crafter"
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

George,
    This may cost more than you can afford.
    But if you can find rehabilitation funding or grants etc it is a very good solution that will help you overcome your disability.

The Symtec Lathe (made in australia) is quite capable of safe one handed wood turning. I have seen a demo video of a totally blind man turning things on a symtec lathe.

Unfortunately symtec seems to have ceased trading but the odd secondhand one turns up occaisionally.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

George,
    i have a friend who has one arm amputated just below the elbow and the other one just above and he is a professional woodworker. he has done turning but it got a bit dangerous. he is still making a pretty good living making stuff to sell at local markets, so go for it

Thumbs up seasons greetings all

thank you all for the advice and help on my router/lathe plans... found some great ideas, and i am putting one together... will let you all know how it performs... all the best... George

Smile Router lathe

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I"d like to see more pictures of the router lathe..I'm also trying to build stave drums, I'd appreciate any guidence...Peace out

LEO

As mentioned, Patrick Spielmans book has some info. How about a hand held pattern wood copier. I have a Woodfast one from years ago that I use if I have to make more than 2 or 3 identical objects.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...t=96290&page=2