Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OK GUYS Spoke wheel Jig

OK GUYS Spoke wheel Jig.I am part way through making a jig for wood spoke wheels,from 3"dia to 5" dia.a bit crude .So you may have a better IDEA
    Has someone already made one and have photos.
    Aussie
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well I have an idea how I would make one but it will take some explaining.

I would make it from that white polystyrene sheet plastic you buy in hobby shops Plastrut or Evergreen plastic sheet ,its easy to work and cut and shape.It glues easily with modellers glue or acetone for a liquid cement.It comes in all shapes ,sizes and sections ,there are online catalogues http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/ and here
    http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

First a flat square base ,bigger that the biggest wheel you want to make.Mark the center and divide the circle into the number of spaces you need between the spokes and mark it on the base .Then mark half the width of (the diameter )of the spokes each side of center of the spoke lines .
    Then you have a triangular shape you can cut from some plastic sheet and glue them on the base , don't forget to cut a bit off the inner end in the center to make room for a center hub.
    You can laminate the plastic to get the thickness required and put shims in the grooves where the spokes fit to pack them up to the center of the hub.

Hope I've explained this clearly

In fact you could make the wheels from this plastic and then paint them to look like wooden spoke wheels.Use O ring rubber for tyres.
    The plastic is very easy to work and can be rolled and bent when heated in hot water.
    I've shaped balsa wood and then covered it with the sheet plastic to make models in the past , just heat the plastic in hot water roll it over the wooden core and secure it with wire until it cools .Then glue the plastic over the wood a scribe panel lines and detail into the plastic.

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

[Thanks Kev.I am downloading the cat as I am writing this rather large catalogue.

I have made a rough jig and have produced a proto type wagon wheel.will put photo up tomorrow .The photo was blurry ,so will do it again

i do have a couple of page out of a toy making book for how to make spoke wheels, will sort out how to get them out of pdf and post them here,I'll get them up soon

scotty

CHEERS

Hey Ross what happened to the PDF of the jig I e-mailed you lost in space

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Hey Ross what happened to the PDF of the jig I e-mailed you lost in space

No Not lost .I looked at a few setups and try to pick the good from the bad,as I always do.I seem to have a built in calculator for that sort of thing . Working with what I had to use as far as material goes Each one had some good points .
    I seem to have it worked out for my liking now I think.
    I have a horizontal setup with the drill fixed and the wheel slides along to the drill.
    Simple to adapt to different dia wheels and width also.I have a mess at the moment but will post jig soon. I will post this shortly.
    Here the photos at last.Only made from scraps.Rim is Tassie oak leftover.Hub is short bit of dowling.Spokes are bamboo scewers.
    Wheel is 9.5 CM dia.Size chosen because that is the holesaw I had.Rim was cut using 2 different holesaws and sanded to size.I havent got a lathe big enough to turn rims.
    Will be getting some brass strip to use as a tire on rim
    Last edited by RETIRED; 8th April 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: lots of bits I forgot

Looks pretty good Ross.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Default Jig Photos.--.I nearly forgot them

Wheel jig Photos.It is a bit rough but seems easy to lineup the rims and hubs.
    The only thing is for each size wheel you need to make a snug inner.This aligns the rim to the drill and stops breakout when drilling

Looks good Aussie , I was thinking along the lines that you were asking about an assembly jig rather than a drilling jig .
    But that one looks like it works ok ,the wheels look good.

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlee View Post
    Looks good Aussie , I was thinking along the lines that you were asking about an assembly jig rather than a drilling jig .
    But that one looks like it works ok ,the wheels look good.

Kev.
    Sorry to lead you down my shed path.I didn't really say what I was after did I.
    Yeh it works ok.I didnt mention I made some spacers to get different heights for different width wheels.Just like the disc on the bandsaw in photo.There is no play in anything so holes endup in the right spot or good enough.
    It wont wear much making the odd set of wheels anyway.
    The ozito is removable. 2 screws hold the bracket at the collet end and a split clamp with wing nut at the other end
    Aussie

Default Made my day

I sit here grinning from ear to ear as I now understand why you sent me an invite to this forum. Your method is extremely similar to how I made my spoked (wagon) wheels on a drill press. Thank you so much as I believe you have finally gotten me out of my "funk" from dealing with the extreme rivet counter standards as set forth on the other forum. I cannot express how much this thread has set my mind at ease. Thank you so much Aussie.
    John T

Hi Aussie,
    I looked at this post and could not believe it and then I saw the date. Interesting times.
    Cheers Elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by jatcod24sci View Post
    I sit here grinning from ear to ear as I now understand why you sent me an invite to this forum. Your method is extremely similar to how I made my spoked (wagon) wheels on a drill press. Thank you so much as I believe you have finally gotten me out of my "funk" from dealing with the extreme rivet counter standards as set forth on the other forum. I cannot express how much this thread has set my mind at ease. Thank you so much Aussie.
    John T
    First of all Welcome John. Seeing some of your work on the net made me think that we have a common interest here and could teach other as well as show your wonderful models
    Some more on wheels Wheel Making - Models
    Truck Wheels by Bret - Bret
    Wheel Making - Aussie style - AUSSIE
    Wagon Wheels - AUSSIE
    Truck Wheels by John - Munruben
    Wheels by Srulik - Srulik

Some Basic sites you may want to have a look at HERE
    and https://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/
    How about I start a post on Horse Drawn Vehicles in the Scale Section?

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    First of all Welcome John. Seeing some of your work on the net made me think that we have a common interest here and could teach other as well as show your wonderful models
    Some more on wheels Wheel Making - Models
    Truck Wheels by Bret - Bret
    Wheel Making - Aussie style - AUSSIE
    Wagon Wheels - AUSSIE
    Truck Wheels by John - Munruben
    Wheels by Srulik - Srulik

Some Basic sites you may want to have a look at HERE
    and SCALE MODELLING - Woodwork Forums
    How about I start a post on Horse Drawn Vehicles in the Scale Section?
    Or should it be under toymakers section?????
    Either way,
    Lets see what the blokes and ladies are building !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast