Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    12,840

    Default DJ's CA Pen Finish Tutorial

    Video of how I apply CA and finish is up.

    You can access them via the Woodwork Forums Videos page where you need to be a member and signed in to access this forum.
    Last edited by EX's Timber; 4th Nov 2008 at 07:28 AM.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Trinity Beach, Qld.
    Age
    72
    Posts
    5,313

    Default Thank you DJ! and attached are 4000 words!

    I applied the tutorial to a pen I turned tonight from Woody Pear, given to me from someone on the forum (thanks, I've forgotten who).
    Actually had to do it twice because after finishing the first time I dropped the blank and it put a mark on it, so had to resand and re CA. But this tutorial really works well fro me, so thanks to DJ on such a thorough job.
    DJ, I learnt about how to apply the burnishing cream properly and the speed of the lathe, and actually the application of the CA, the Video is fairly comprehensive, job well done, Amos
    Now, will someone explain how I can get Media Player to Fast Forward, the buttons so marked will not do it?! Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Fantastic tutorial! The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the video is first rate. This should be made a sticky so that future turners can benefit. I spotted at least four mistakes I am making and will work this weekend to correct them. Thank you for taking your time to produce such a helpful video. brava
    ...there is secret agents and insurance agents and real estate agents and all kinds of agents and you can't trust none of the bastards...

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    12,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodenink View Post
    I applied the tutorial to a pen I turned tonight from Woody Pear, given to me from someone on the forum (thanks, I've forgotten who).
    Actually had to do it twice because after finishing the first time I dropped the blank and it put a mark on it, so had to resand and re CA. But this tutorial really works well fro me, so thanks to DJ on such a thorough job.
    DJ, I learnt about how to apply the burnishing cream properly and the speed of the lathe, and actually the application of the CA, the Video is fairly comprehensive, job well done, Amos
    Now, will someone explain how I can get Media Player to Fast Forward, the buttons so marked will not do it?! Amos
    Glad to hear that you benefited from it Amos, as for the Media Player, if you hover your mouse over the bar between the picture and the buttons where I have circled it in red you should see where the line is different and a button will appear, just click and hold while dragging it to either fast forward or rewind.

    Attachment 71900

    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    Fantastic tutorial! The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the video is first rate. This should be made a sticky so that future turners can benefit. I spotted at least four mistakes I am making and will work this weekend to correct them. Thank you for taking your time to produce such a helpful video. brava
    Also happy to hear that you benefited too Cisco, just hearing that at least 2 of you have learnt from it lets me know that it was worthwhile doing . Will also make it a sticky too.

    Think I might start producing some short videos on how to do things, any particular areas that you guys and gals would like me to do? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Trinity Beach, Qld.
    Age
    72
    Posts
    5,313

    Default Another few thousand words!

    I could not resist, even though it is late, I just turned another since my last reply here, Mallee Burl. Thank you DJ! that is all I can say. Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    61
    Posts
    11,998

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    Think I might start producing some short videos on how to do things, any particular areas that you guys and gals would like me to do? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

    A short video explaining how to keep SWMBO from complaining about excessive shop time and too many shavings finding their way into the house would be extremely helpful.
    ...there is secret agents and insurance agents and real estate agents and all kinds of agents and you can't trust none of the bastards...

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    12,840

    Default

    Unfortunately that one is out of my expertise , don't have the problem of a SWMBO here as I am a single bloke who lives with 2 dogs and a cat

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bendigo Victoria
    Age
    76
    Posts
    16,561

    Default

    DJ, finally got a bit of time to sit down and watch your video. Great effort, I learned a lot, thanks

    I take you don't use BLO with the CA at all?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    12,840

    Default

    Nope, tried the BLO on a few and then tried the straight CA and just found no need for it, so I don't use it any more. Get a much better clearer finish without the BLO.

  12. #11
    ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    i will check it out when i find some time DJ. Judging by Amos's reply, it sounds like a great vid

    ( if i didnt need to keep myself sane, i wouldnt be here, i would still be doing the large amount of HW piling up - so i will try to find some time to watch it, because my CA finish needs some help )
    S T I R L O

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gelorup, West Aust.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    A short video explaining how to keep SWMBO from complaining about excessive shop time and too many shavings finding their way into the house would be extremely helpful.
    In this house it's the other way around!! The shed is SWMBO territory and she is told about dirt and wood et al taking over.............looks like you need to get her a hobby!!!

    JD
    "No point getting older if you don't get smarter"

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Aberglassly,NSW
    Age
    76
    Posts
    4,795

    Default

    Great tutorial DJ I just hope it is not too late for me. Its well worth a green, on the way

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    US
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Finally got a chance to see the vid and to try it out in the shop. It's one thing to hear '20 coats' .. but another thing to watch it done and see what constitutes a coat.

    Tried it out on a few pieces yesterday and it looks nice..

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    13

    Default

    outstanding video

    Thanks for sharing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FWW #194 has a Tutorial
    By Groggy in forum DESIGN & DESIGNING / GOOGLE SKETCHUP
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd Oct 2007, 11:36 PM
  2. cigar pen tutorial
    By Rikk38 in forum WOODTURNING - PEN TURNING
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th Feb 2007, 06:27 AM
  3. Bullet Pen tutorial
    By lubbing5cherubs in forum WOODTURNING - PEN TURNING
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st Sep 2006, 11:44 PM
  4. Plane tutorial?
    By kiwioutdoors in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th Nov 2005, 10:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •