Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 121

Thread: New Challenge.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pensacola Florida
    Age
    73
    Posts
    3,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Trenton (U.S.A. - New Jersey)Wednesday, 15 December 2010 at 1:00:00 AMUTC-5 hours EST
    Of all the places to pick!! Don't like even thinking about Trenton, it's where all the fat cat politicians in Jersey collude to raise our taxes - and keep raising, and raising, and raising ......but thanks for cluing me in on the correct time, ignorance was bliss, but now with that bit of knowledge, am goin' to be dangerous as hell
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Baldivis WA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Yeah cool extended that is awsome now I might be able to finish my other entery if my finger heals in time

    Ian

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    south of cultana
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    hmm
    eggcup
    don't tell anybody
    Ok so where is it??

    Here is my version....

    Egg cup:
    Wood: Melia Azedarach, white cedar.
    Sanded to #400 then finished with Shellawax Cream.
    44mm
    45mm

    See it even holds and egg, but SWMBO said I canít use a real egg so I had to make a wooden one. I had almost finished turning the egg and the force field holding it between the drive and live centres collapsed so the tip of the egg is a bit pointy. (Someone said it had to be supported physically by the two centres, think I missed something there.)
    Egg:
    Wood: Callistemon, Bottlebrush
    Sanded to #400 then finished with Shellawax Cream.
    50mm
    Diam: 40mm


    Ok just kidding...

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    south of cultana
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Ok ignore the eggcup thing not a serious piece.

    Small candle stick.
    Made from Callistemo, bottlebrush.
    Sanded to #400 then finished with Shellawax Cream.
    Hight 50mm
    Max with at the base 28mm.
    Holds one small 'party' candle.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    belgrave
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post
    Ok ignore the eggcup thing not a serious piece.

    Small candle stick.
    Made from Callistemo, bottlebrush.
    Sanded to #400 then finished with Shellawax Cream.
    Hight 50mm
    Max with at the base 28mm.
    Holds one small 'party' candle.
    Does a birthday candle fit in it?
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

    (White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    south of cultana
    Posts
    516

    Default

    TL: Candle stick with birthday candle..

    Also compared to a 5 cent coin.

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    belgrave
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post
    TL: Candle stick with birthday candle..

    Also compared to a 5 cent coin.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

    (White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    Ok, seen that we show the "non-serious" pieces while we whittle away the time...

    This is the Official Ring of the Woodworkers' Secret Society.

    Western Myall, off the tool, one coat of CA.

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Emerald, QLD
    Posts
    4,225

    Default Taking the challenge too literally!?!?

    Has to fit in a 50mm cube the man says Hard to get that part out of my head and ended up with the following box - eventually
    Pic 1. At left - A mock-up to see how it might look and work out how I would hold it. Centre - Miscalculated the wall thickness and tried to go to far into the corner with a spindle-gouge - At least one part clipped my nose and I was so sure the jolt had snapped my gouge I wasn't game to open my eyes - but it survived At right - the template I used for the hollowing.
    Pic 2. The adaptors I made to slip over the jaws - did the trick
    Pic 3. The finished box - Scrub Stringybark (rhodamnia rubescens) with 2 coats of DO. (accidentally Note to self - do NOT use oil on shapes that CANNOT be buffed)
    Pic 4&5 The inside
    .
    Updated 11th August 2019

  11. #70
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Tooradin,Victoria,Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    11,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTIT View Post
    Has to fit in a 50mm cube the man says Hard to get that part out of my head and ended up with the following box - eventually
    Pic 1. At left - A mock-up to see how it might look and work out how I would hold it. Centre - Miscalculated the wall thickness and tried to go to far into the corner with a spindle-gouge - At least one part clipped my nose and I was so sure the jolt had snapped my gouge I wasn't game to open my eyes - but it survived At right - the template I used for the hollowing.
    Pic 2. The adaptors I made to slip over the jaws - did the trick
    Pic 3. The finished box - Scrub Stringybark (rhodamnia rubescens) with 2 coats of DO. (accidentally Note to self - do NOT use oil on shapes that CANNOT be buffed)
    Pic 4&5 The inside
    I should disqualify you for being a smart alec.

  12. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    belgrave
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I should disqualify you for being a smart alec.
    (Looks great! )
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

    (White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

  13. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Very clever design and beautiful execution!

    Turning a circular box inside a cube - that's really thinking outside the square.

  14. #73
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Tooradin,Victoria,Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    11,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
    Very clever design and beautiful execution!

    Turning a circular box inside a cube - that's really thinking outside the square.
    Or perhaps inside?

  15. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    south of cultana
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Small bowl and plate:
    Wood: Melaleuca, (Melaleuca Nesophila?).
    Finish: Sanded to #400 then finished with Shellawax Cream
    Bowl:
    Height 20 mm
    Diam 35 mm
    Plate:
    Hight 4 mm
    Diam: 34 mm

    TL I need some chopsticks for this, (little ones please) !!

  16. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dulong, Sunshine Coast
    Age
    78
    Posts
    71

    Default woodturning challenge

    I have decided i would submit another item for the challenge.
    this is a lidded bowl 50mm x 50mm of black wattle
    Sanded to 400 grit(Run out of finer sizes)
    two coats of triple eee
    two coats of shellawax

    There has been some great entries.

    Regards Neil

Similar Threads

  1. Challenge
    By Arthur Dyason in forum SMALL TIMBER MILLING
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th Sep 2008, 03:47 PM
  2. WWF Box Challenge!
    By funkychicken in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 452
    Last Post: 1st Sep 2008, 10:58 AM
  3. WWF Box Challenge
    By funkychicken in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th Jun 2008, 08:40 PM
  4. Box Challenge
    By funkychicken in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th Jun 2008, 07:54 PM
  5. Challenge!
    By dennford in forum WOODIES JOKES
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 8th Nov 2007, 02:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •