Thread: Making a Cricket Bat for School
28th Sep 2014, 05:32 PM #1New Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2014
- Gold COast
Making a Cricket Bat for School
I wanted to make a cricket bat for a school project and had a few questions for any bat makers out there:
1. Where is the best place to get a cleft and handle from in Australia?
2. What is the price and would the cleft have been pressed?
3. If the cleft doesn't come pressed, is there a way to manually press it (I don't have access to machinery)?
4. In all the tutorials I have scene, the handle is bound using a lathe and vice, as I stated, I don't have access to these things, is it possible to do this manually and how (I have lots of spare time)?
5. All in all, what would be the tools and materials I require?
Thanks a bunch
4th Oct 2014, 03:01 AM #2China
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
- South Australia
You will not find any of the components available separately you will have to make them yourself, as for rolling the blanks that will be difficult
in saying that I'm sure the original bats were not rolled and simply used a suitably selected dense peice of timber
10th Oct 2014, 10:55 PM #3
Check your Private Messages (on the brown toolbar at the top of this page.)
10th Oct 2014, 11:32 PM #4
You could try and get in contact with this place: http://cricketwillow.com.au/4.0.html
Whist the website isn't much, they grow their own willow and handmake bats on site (well they did last time I was there). It would be well worth while giving them a call and explaining what you are trying to do ...... if they are still up and running I am sure they will help you out.
StinkyNow proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.
By aobed in forum WOODWORK - GENERALReplies: 38Last Post: 8th Jan 2010, 10:04 PM
By Pat16 in forum WOODWORK - GENERALReplies: 11Last Post: 28th May 2008, 04:56 PM
By Barry_White in forum WOODIES JOKESReplies: 12Last Post: 14th May 2008, 09:10 PM
By myguitar in forum WOODIES EVENTSReplies: 2Last Post: 18th Sep 2006, 08:54 AM
By ss_11000 in forum WOODWORK - GENERALReplies: 73Last Post: 12th Sep 2006, 11:28 PM