Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Definitely not wasting any time. Can't wait to see everything together.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,035

    Default

    Wow
    What did you have for breakfast, I think you should win fastest Plane Build MA.

    Cheers Matt.

  4. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    660

    Default

    I hope you have plenty of materials left 'cause you've got time to build several more - if only to keep us entertained/educated. Lookin good MA.

  5. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Thanks CK, Matt and P. The closer it gets to looking more like a plane, the easier it gets. Didn't have lunch till 3 and skipped morning tea. Might have got a little lost in the tasks at hand today. Still have to sharpen blade and make good cap iron to back of blade connection. And round off back but I actually have some work tomorrow (trying to fix a leak at a client's rental property). Maybe an opportunity for some to catch up And we don't know if it works yet.

  6. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mt Waverley Vic 3149
    Age
    81
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Ash View Post
    Another instalment from the "tableclothless" plane maker. Taking advantage of the time I have I got lots of "fitting" done today. Fitting the blade to the bed, fitting the wedge to the cap iron and depth adjuster, fitting the depth adjuster to the wedge and to the throat. Wedge has also been shaped (and resurrected - boy can a forstner bit do some damage very quickly, and this required refitting the wedge after planing away the scratch). Scratch plates for the depth adjuster locking bolts have finally been epoxied into position, after a "final" going over with the smoothing plane. Base was also shaped to finished profile with a succession of rebating planes (wooden of course) and things are really staring to come together. Sorry there's no photo of installed wedge but the end is in sight.

    Attachment 482299
    Look Pagie all those wooden parts - only metal blade - WHOOPEE!!

  7. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    20201006_201238.jpg

    Plane together and almost complete.........but I have a problem with the depth guide. As the wedge is driven further in, the depth guide is forced against the throat at the top and pushes away at the bottom. This opens a gap at the front of the plane and pushes the brass wear plate out of parallel. Trial runs, with incredibly blunt blade saw chips getting caught as the front edge of the wear plate catches. Checking angles and faces showed things weren't spot on so more filing, chiselling and scraping to correct. But the problem persists. Gave up and brought plane up to the house to show family what I had been up to (and take a photo on the table sans tablecloth ). Still mulling over problem when potential inspiration struck. If I decrease the mating angle on the depth guide and make a new shallower wedge, pivoting should be less pronounced. Theory is that if wedge was parallel then it would press evenly top and bottom (but wouldn't wedge). I'll have to try to find the best angle (10° won't work this time). So close.

  8. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I am also thinking of reducing the height of the depth adjuster. This will change the bearing length and move pressure towards the bottom of it, closing up the gap??

  9. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Ash View Post
    20201006_201238.jpg

    Plane together and almost complete.........but I have a problem with the depth guide. As the wedge is driven further in, the depth guide is forced against the throat at the top and pushes away at the bottom. This opens a gap at the front of the plane and pushes the brass wear plate out of parallel. Trial runs, with incredibly blunt blade saw chips getting caught as the front edge of the wear plate catches. Checking angles and faces showed things weren't spot on so more filing, chiselling and scraping to correct. But the problem persists. Gave up and brought plane up to the house to show family what I had been up to (and take a photo on the table sans tablecloth ). Still mulling over problem when potential inspiration struck. If I decrease the mating angle on the depth guide and make a new shallower wedge, pivoting should be less pronounced. Theory is that if wedge was parallel then it would press evenly top and bottom (but wouldn't wedge). I'll have to try to find the best angle (10° won't work this time). So close.

    Um I think we have gone back to me trying to learn Greek.
    Have you tried a larger Hammer ??

    Cheers Matt.

  10. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    As a carpenter with 20+ years on the tools, that is my usual approach . Trying to sneak up on the fit in this case. Things got a little better today as I realised that my straight was not as straight as I thought. Setting a new angle for the wedge and faffing around with other micro adjustments. Slowly getting there.

  11. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Hi all. Got some of the more exciting things done on my plane today. Finalised the wedge fitting yesterday so got to finish the shaping today (my reward for delayed gratification). Bun end done - looks great but feels even better. Stop chamfering and front round over also done. Jobs let are to sand remaining surfaces, apply finish and sharpen blade. Oh yes, and test it

    20201009_141757.jpg

    20201009_141747.jpg

    Sorry about the thumbnails. Not sure how to remove them
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Ash View Post
    Hi all. Got some of the more exciting things done on my plane today. Finalised the wedge fitting yesterday so got to finish the shaping today (my reward for delayed gratification). Bun end done - looks great but feels even better. Stop chamfering and front round over also done. Jobs let are to sand remaining surfaces, apply finish and sharpen blade. Oh yes, and test it

    20201009_141757.jpg

    20201009_141747.jpg

    Sorry about the thumbnails. Not sure how to remove them
    Looking fantastic Sir.
    That’s very close too making a shaving,what angle will the blade be sharpened to ?.
    We also appreciate the improvised table cloth.

    Cheers Matt

  13. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Very flash MA.

  14. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    73
    Posts
    11,169

    Default

    Well, that's it then. Done and dusted. Might as well give up. Anybody need three miles of coarse sandpaper? And he's got a tttt..tablecloth!



    Regards
    Paul

    PS: Actually it's alright
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  15. #59
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    839

    Default

    That is one fantastic looking plane. You definately set the bar already quite high now!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  16. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    Looking fantastic Sir.
    That’s very close too making a shaving,what angle will the blade be sharpened to ?.
    We also appreciate the improvised table cloth.

    Cheers Matt
    Hi Matt. 30°-35°. Thanks for noticing my "diarycloth"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Simplicity
    By Simplicity in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 476
    Last Post: 1st January 2022, 11:20 PM
  2. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Doug3030
    By doug3030 in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 26th June 2021, 05:29 PM
  3. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Oldgreybeard
    By Oldgreybeard in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 2nd June 2021, 03:01 PM
  4. 2020-2021 Plane Building Challenge
    By Oldgreybeard in forum WOODWORKING CHALLENGES
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 2nd December 2020, 09:58 PM
  5. 2020-2021 Plane Building Challenge
    By MWF FEED in forum METALWORK ANNOUNCEMENTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th September 2020, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •