Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default Challenge 2020-2021 Woodified

    A wood plane has been on my list of things I'd like to make for a few years. This challenge will be the push I need to finally make one.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lawrencetown, NS, Canada
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Great! The more the merrier. Look forward to seeing your contribution to the challenge .

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodified View Post
    A wood plane has been on my list of things I'd like to make for a few years. This challenge will be the push I need to finally make one.
    Fantastic,
    Woodified wood planes seem too be popular, so you will be in good company.

    Cheers Matt.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    70
    Posts
    8,752

    Default

    Welcome to the challenge Woodified. No need to be petrified and we will look forward to your posts.

    It is always good to see international interest as it brings a new dimension (different half of the sphere) and a variety of thinking.

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Looks like you've been "indentified"......hope stupid puns are as funny in Canada as they are to us in Oz

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canberra - West Belco
    Age
    60
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Flight 2021 has picked up another passenger, take care in boarding as you can see the puns can knock you around...

    Welcome aboard and have fun

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    LOL! Thanks for having me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Welcome to the challenge Woodified. No need to be petrified and we will look forward to your posts.

    It is always good to see international interest as it brings a new dimension (different half of the sphere) and a variety of thinking.

    Regards
    Paul

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Keep 'em coming...puns are funny up North too. Sounds like this is going to be a fun group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Ash View Post
    Looks like you've been "indentified"......hope stupid puns are as funny in Canada as they are to us in Oz

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    70
    Posts
    8,752

    Default

    Woodified

    I was just checking to see if any new blood has entered the challenge and I noticed we had not heard much more from you. I wasn't sure if you were waiting for more terrible puns. I also checked your UTube link to see if it had been posted there by accident.





    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Thanks for checking in. I have been thinking about getting started. I checked out a few other posts and I decided to make a block plane as my first build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Woodified

    I was just checking to see if any new blood has entered the challenge and I noticed we had not heard much more from you. I wasn't sure if you were waiting for more terrible puns. I also checked your UTube link to see if it had been posted there by accident.





    Regards
    Paul

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    I've decided to make a block plane. I've got a copy of John Wilson's "Making Woods Tools" last year and I have not yet made any tools from the book. The block plane is the first project in the book and is a good place to start according to John. The book seems detailed enough to follow the project and John includes how to make the blade as well. Next step is to select some wood...stay tuned.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    3,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodified View Post
    I've decided to make a block plane. I've got a copy of John Wilson's "Making Woods Tools" last year and I have not yet made any tools from the book. The block plane is the first project in the book and is a good place to start according to John. The book seems detailed enough to follow the project and John includes how to make the blade as well. Next step is to select some wood...stay tuned.
    That is an excellent book.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    I made some progress today.
    1) I order O1 tool steel
    2) glued up some walnut for the core of the the block plane
    3) cut a piece of leftover hardwood maple flooring for the sides.


    ....Sorry I couldn't get my photos to upload. I stuck them on my blog page and linked to my blog page. I then tried the insert image again using the URLs but I got an error message.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lawrencetown, NS, Canada
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Looking good - nice to see more progress.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109

    Default

    It has been awhile since my last update...read...lots of time for the glue to dry.
    I was able to get my block of walnut fairly square. I don't have a jointer . It's not prefect but I think it will work for a block plane. As I was trimming the block down to size I came across some tunnels. I was able to cut away most of the worm holes or what ever bug or beetle bores into walnut. There is one hole left but the palm rest will hide it.

    A added a few photos on my blog here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Simplicity
    By Simplicity in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 399
    Last Post: 28th Feb 2021, 10:08 AM
  2. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Oldgreybeard
    By Oldgreybeard in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 10th Feb 2021, 09:42 PM
  3. Challenge 2020-2021 Jools13
    By jools13 in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd Sep 2020, 09:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •