Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 274
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mt Waverley Vic 3149
    Age
    79
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Brad

    A plasma cutter might be technically just outside the realms of what is available in the workshop,
    Why? What's the difference between having an 8"long bed jointer, a 12" table saw or a plasma cutter? Remember members of the metalwork forum have also been invited to participate in the challenge.

    For the record I have such a jointer and table saw in my shed and have had for well over 10 years

    Bob

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Cutting the sides of the channel will be interesting. Even if I wanted to, and I probably don't, there is insufficient room to use a hacksaw or similar hand tool as they would hit on the other web of the channel. I have not tried anything yet, but the thickness of steel might be a bit much for the jigsaw and I can see the angle grinder getting quite a workout before resorting to files for finishing.

    Regards
    Paul
    I fear the jigsaw will possibly be hopeless here Paul.

    Not having a plasma cutter or any gas cutting equipment,have you considered joining the dots,well technically joining the holes,
    (Drilling a serious of holes)
    Tho to be fair thatís a few holes per side.
    I wouldnít want to be in your shoes doing that.


    Iím impressed your still bitching and whinnying at least your sticking to your game plan.

    Cheers Matt.

  4. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgreybeard View Post
    Why? What's the difference between having an 8"long bed jointer, a 12" table saw or a plasma cutter? Remember members of the metalwork forum have also been invited to participate in the challenge.

    For the record I have such a jointer and table saw in my shed and have had for well over 10 years

    Bob
    Bob,

    I think Paul is saying he doesnít own a plasma cutter? Nor is he going to buy one.

    So itís outside the realms of his shed.

    Cheers Matt.

  5. #79
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    4,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Cutting the sides of the channel will be interesting. Even if I wanted to, and I probably don't, there is insufficient room to use a hacksaw or similar hand tool as they would hit on the other web of the channel. I have not tried anything yet, but the thickness of steel might be a bit much for the jigsaw and I can see the angle grinder getting quite a workout before resorting to files for finishing.
    One of these would be the go. I cut a piece of railway line on mine last week.

    It also has a table so it can be used vertically like a woodworking bandsaw. I don't know how I ever did without it.

    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/b002

  6. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    72
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Brad, Bob and Matt

    You all make excellent points and I think I could argue favourably for each of you.

    My plan at this point is to cut as close as I can a series of straight lines with a thin cutting disc on my angle grinder and then use the same tool fitted with a grinding disc to remove the curvy bits (primarily the inside curves). I will finish up with a flap disc in the aforementioned angle grinder before using a file. I will make up a timber template to avoid "overdoing" things and to get the sides exactly the same.

    Perhaps Bob's comments should include being "performed by yourself" as opposed to having another person perform the operation. Ie. contracting out. The exception being the purchase of a finished blade, which most of us will be doing.

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  7. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    72
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Doug

    I have access to a metal cutting bandsaw at work, but it will only cut straight lines. I could probably get a narrow metal cutting band for my bandsaw, but that would involve parting with money and one of my criteria is to not spend significant money on the project and utilise materials I already have minimising even the use of consumables.

    That pretty much restricts me to buying a bit of W&D paper and a new power tool particularly flaunts my own criteria. (Much as I would like to have one and somewhere to keep it)





    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  8. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bundaberg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    My plan at this point is to cut as close as I can a series of straight lines with a thin cutting disc on my angle grinder and then use the same tool fitted with a grinding disc to remove the curvy bits (primarily the inside curves).
    Forgive me for asking but why remove the inside curves? I would have thought rounding over the corners of the stuffing would have been easier; and you could even use a thin slice taken off of one end as both a template and a scraper.
    Nothing succeeds like a budgie without a beak.

  9. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    72
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tiff View Post
    Forgive me for asking but why remove the inside curves? I would have thought rounding over the corners of the stuffing would have been easier; and you could even use a thin slice taken off of one end as both a template and a scraper.
    Chief

    Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I have to rush off and will be offline for the best part of two days. Will revisit on my return.



    Regards
    Paul

    Ps: That means not much more will get done other than in my head!!
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  10. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane (western suburbs)
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11,436

    Default

    Paul, your channel is wider than I've used to date, but I managed to cut the rough shape out of some 2 inch channel with hacksaw & files. You do have to keep a close eye on the far side to make sure you aren't going over your lines! Anything that gets the bulk of the waste off quickly is for me. I guess the old angle grinder gets rid of waste quickly too, but might be a bit risky in the wrong hands (like mine!), it doesn't allow a lot of room for error - at least you go astray more slowly with the hacksaw. Some appropriate files should get you to a nice finish..

    Cheers,
    IW

  11. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Paul, your channel is wider than I've used to date, but I managed to cut the rough shape out of some 2 inch channel with hacksaw & files. You do have to keep a close eye on the far side to make sure you aren't going over your lines! Anything that gets the bulk of the waste off quickly is for me. I guess the old angle grinder gets rid of waste quickly too, but might be a bit risky in the wrong hands (like mine!), it doesn't allow a lot of room for error - at least you go astray more slowly with the hacksaw. Some appropriate files should get you to a nice finish..

    Cheers,
    Ian,
    You do realise Paul is of line for a bit,so we can play up poke fun at him, an general miss behave, he wonít know thing.

    Cheers Matt.

  12. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane (western suburbs)
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    Ian,
    You do realise Paul is of line for a bit,so we can play up poke fun at him, an general miss behave, he wonít know thing.

    Cheers Matt.
    Ah, but he'll be back! And no doubt make us pay for any sins.....
    IW

  13. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Ah, but he'll be back! And no doubt make us pay for any sins.....
    But thatís just a factor to consider ?
    I pay for me sin, I think it be worth while [emoji6]

    Cheers Matt.

  14. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    72
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Chief

    Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I have to rush off and will be offline for the best part of two days. Will revisit on my return.



    Regards
    Paul

    Ps: That means not much more will get done other than in my head!!
    Chief

    On re-reading your post I think you were referencing Matt's comment about the radius between the web and the sides. I don't think there is a need to remove that metal. I will be rounding the infill.

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  15. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    72
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    For the "sinners" among you, I was not contemplating cutting both sides at the same time and I agree that, if that was done, a very careful eye would need to be kept on the far side. I don't think I am capable of that as the 75mm span would be a fatal test of my hacksawing skills. Instead I will put my faith in some careful marking out, a single template to be used on each side and the faithful angle grinders equipped with thin cutting disc, grinding disc and finally flap disc before going to files.

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  16. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane (western suburbs)
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11,436

    Default

    I don't think you'd find the hacksaw all that difficult, Paul, you only want to cut "close enough" to your lines. I'd try both approaches myself & see which gave me the best return of speed vs control. I well know that I can run off the line a lot quicker & a lot further with the cutoff wheel, but I think you've had a lot more practice hacking things up with the wheel than I have. I mostly use it for straight cuts against a guide and only very occasionally attempt 'freehand' cuts.

    I've been meaning to have another go at making a plane body from channel, out of curiosity and with a view to adding that technique to my "manual". My first attempt was a bit of a flop, but I did manage a reasonably successful thumb plane using some brass channel, a couple of years ago: Vers2.jpg

    I meant to show you this last night - it's a precedent for your "channel plane": 3 plane bits.jpg
    My dad & his cousin made it back in the '30s, and I think it's instructive of what you can do with very limited gear & time on your hands. His cousin worked at the local sugar mill & I presume he had access to the welder to attach the "frog" and nut for the front knob (it's certainly not a professional job!): 2 Frog weld.jpg

    It is hardly a paradigm of the plane-maker's art, but it works in its rough way & would make a good scrub plane. I was once tempted to "fix it up" & try to refine it a bit, but decided it's far better left as-is as a testament to the ingenuity of that generation in tough times...

    (Sheesh, you're a tiger, still up & posting at 11:23 after a longish drive - been a few years since I had that sort of stamina!)

    Cheers,
    IW

Similar Threads

  1. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Simplicity
    By Simplicity in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 476
    Last Post: 1st January 2022, 11:20 PM
  2. Challenge 2020 - 2021 Oldgreybeard
    By Oldgreybeard in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 2nd June 2021, 03:01 PM
  3. Challenge 2020 -2021 MountainAsh
    By Mountain Ash in forum PLANE CHALLENGE 2020-21
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 21st February 2021, 02:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •